My Bird Is Vomiting!!

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
On a related note, do you have, or can you get a scale accurate in grams? Cookie's weight is one of the best indicators of health. It will vary a bit on daily basis, but significant and steady changes are cause for alarm.

We do have a scale but Cookie is afraid of it. I've only been able to get her on it once.. her weight was 94 grams.

It's a kitchen scale and they're accurate in grams, right?

:grey:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Many birds are afraid of scales. Some will stand on the main tray, others on home made perches. In worst case scenarios if weight is needed, bird can be placed in small enclosure. Some scales will zero out the enclosure before use, or else you'll have to weigh separately and subtract.

Many cooking scales are measured in grams, others ounces. Some have a switch to change the scale.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I agree with Scott, you should be weighing her each day for the next week or two, just to make sure that she's not losing weight and that her weight is stable again, because you can't always tell, and if she's losing even 1 gram a day, each day, then that means that she's not eating what she should be...

The digital kitchen scales are great for weighing birds and are extremely accurate in grams or whatever unit you want to use (grams are best for comparison)...Just find a container you can put her inside of, put it on the scale empty, weigh it, and then either hit "Tare" and then put her inside of the container and read her weight, or if you have issues getting her inside of the container while it's on the scale, then just weigh the container, write down how many grams it weighs, then remove it from the scale, put her inside it, and then put her and the container on the scale, get the weight, and subtract the weight of the empty container to get her weight...Whatever works for you...

Also, it's best to weigh her first thing each morning, right AFTER she has her first poop but BEFORE she eats anything...That way you're getting the most accurate body-weight for her you can...And then write it down each day and compare, and if she is continually weighing less each day then she's still not eating correctly...

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Parrots
I agree with Scott, you should be weighing her each day for the next week or two, just to make sure that she's not losing weight and that her weight is stable again, because you can't always tell, and if she's losing even 1 gram a day, each day, then that means that she's not eating what she should be...

The digital kitchen scales are great for weighing birds and are extremely accurate in grams or whatever unit you want to use (grams are best for comparison)...Just find a container you can put her inside of, put it on the scale empty, weigh it, and then either hit "Tare" and then put her inside of the container and read her weight, or if you have issues getting her inside of the container while it's on the scale, then just weigh the container, write down how many grams it weighs, then remove it from the scale, put her inside it, and then put her and the container on the scale, get the weight, and subtract the weight of the empty container to get her weight...Whatever works for you...

Also, it's best to weigh her first thing each morning, right AFTER she has her first poop but BEFORE she eats anything...That way you're getting the most accurate body-weight for her you can...And then write it down each day and compare, and if she is continually weighing less each day then she's still not eating correctly...

Thanks for the help, I'll try and use the method you said:)

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Parrots
So, I just weighed Cookie and she was 89 grams. She's 5 grams lighter than she was before. Of course she still has some more weight to gain but hey, she's doing better!:D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Is Cookie's appetite improving? Glad you have a scale, really important tool!!

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Parrots
Is Cookie's appetite improving? Glad you have a scale, really important tool!!

Yes, I believe her appetite is improving. I usually see her near her food bowl, eating or just preening her self on the main perch. And since I see her eat a lot, I take that as her good sign.​

Most Reactions