My bird laid an egg tonight

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Breeding for how long? Not just the numbers count for experience! I bred finches at one point, there isn't much you have to do. Plus working for someone else does not count you as a breeder. I don't think you realize this is what I used to do for many years and I didn't have that amount of birds but I had over 150 at that time. But yes it is pretty universal in raising different babies. Finches breed like rabbits and my clutch usually consists of 4-8 eggs at one time and usually about 6 at the most that makes it. So you can get high amount very quickly.

To the OP, you can leave them in the bag or what you can do is put her through the hole of the nest box and block the hole with your hand or a towel. Open the nest box door and show her the eggs and place the eggs within. Close the box and unblock the hole. She might come out or she might stay in. Remove the bag but don't discarded. Then give her about half an hour to decide. If she wont accept it, back to the bag. This method have worked for me in the past so if you want you can try and see. Good luck!!!

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
Breeding for how long? Not just the numbers count for experience! I bred finches at one point, there isn't much you have to do. Plus working for someone else does not count you as a breeder. I don't think you realize this is what I used to do for many years and I didn't have that amount of birds but I had over 150 at that time. But yes it is pretty universal in raising different babies. Finches breed like rabbits and my clutch usually consists of 4-8 eggs at one time and usually about 6 at the most that makes it. So you can get high amount very quickly.

To the OP, you can leave them in the bag or what you can do is put her through the hole of the nest box and block the hole with your hand or a towel. Open the nest box door and show her the eggs and place the eggs within. Close the box and unblock the hole. She might come out or she might stay in. Remove the bag but don't discarded. Then give her about half an hour to decide. If she wont accept it, back to the bag. This method have worked for me in the past so if you want you can try and see. Good luck!!!

I already answered HOW LONG. Geez, you tell *me* to read my post??
I'm not sure where I told you I was working for someone else. I'm doing a lifetime reproductive success study; I check every one of my pairs every day and note every detail. Thus I know for a fact that an egg casually dropped on the cage floor is almost never incubated; I literally have statistics on this. I stated already that they will improvise, and only that it's probably not incubated if it's randomly dropped that way. Which is true. I did not say it's probably not being incubated if she's chosen a makeshift nest location.
Plus, that is the only way I've used my breeding experience to inform this conversation. I'm well aware that finches are easy to breed; why do you think ZEFIs are the lab rats of the avian world?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You never mention how long! You said you work for someone else in your old posting!!!! You said you don't have the money to do it and such....be honest! I am!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Your too dishonest with your postings! I have nothing more to say to you!!!

By the way, I bred for 15 years!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Ok folks , I dont think this is helping the OP with her issues......just saying.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Can we stop this nonsense?

To the OP, I think you should look to FeathersFirstAviary for help, I know she has budgies and some other fids... These guys are making it difficult to follow information with their arguing... :( I wish you the best of luck with your budgies!!!!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
The only time I've ever had to deal with "accidental" clutches was when I worked at Petsmart, we had the large aviary cage with our budgies in and occasionally we would have some lay on the bottom but with that many birds, the eggs usually were abandoned or broken before they had a chance to be incubated. So I think Mikey's advice is the best solution, personally, I think I would move the eggs to the nestbox along with some tasty millet and see if the hen takes over. Eggs can generally be kept at room temperature for 2 weeks prior to incubation and still hatch so even if she doesn't sit on them right away, as long as they don't get too cold or too warm, they may still hatch(if they are fertile). You could always try to find an incubator and try it that way if you really want to give it a go, but it's very difficult to hand rear such tiny birds from day 1 so be prepared for anything that may happen. Good luck, keep us posted :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Correct me if im remembering it wrong. Its to my understanding even at room temperature the egg must be turned hourly otherwise it sticks to one side and the embryo dies.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I'm not sure, I was actually just recently reading about the suspended incubation, I was amazed by it though, I'm always too excited for the babies to want to put it off even longer :p I suppose you could turn them, just in case, I can't see how turning them would hurt anything and it may be necessary like you said.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yea it needed to be turned often as it is recommended the parrot eggs to be turned hourly. I just read it, I thought I remember that correct.... :)

I'm too the same way Icy, I can't wait for the anticipation....

Most Reactions