Baby alexandrine...need help with feeding

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
Hi everybody,

Some questions about my new alexandrine. My girlfriend (who's owned parrots before, but never this young) and I bought a baby alexandrine parrot of about 6-8 weeks. Hes very active and fed readily at the pet shop, but since we've had him home for about 16 hours he hasn't been feeding and when he's not sleeping always keeps making a low plaintive chirpy cry.

Is he just lonely and having some adjustment issues or is that a sign of a more serious problem? He doesn't seem to like the brand of food we bought for him, which is better than what he was eating before but I can understand the adjustment shock could make it hard for him to switch.

Any advice? At what point should we panic and take him back to the store?

Thanks! :greenyellow:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes ,, feed him what ever the breeder was feeding him. You can switch when he has weaned or at least comfortable in your care. Buy a set of gram scales and weigh your bird in the AM before you feed him.Research hand feeding parrots and know what weight gains ,losses are not normal.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I second that. He has to eat so grab whatever they were feeding for him until he's a bit older. My bird regressed a bit after I brought him home so I supplemented with a few hand feedings for about a week. Its not too difficult to do with a small syringe.

OP
M

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
Parrots
Thanks a lot guys, we just went and got the same kind of weird chinese protein supplement that he'd been raised on and he went right for it. We're going to start mixing in some of the good american import parrot food powder we got so he'll get better nutrition but for now definitely better he gets a little food in his belly.

thanks again guys! :greenyellow:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Please start offering fruit, vegies, seeds and pellets... (Grate the fruit and vegies)... along with the hand feeding... Even if they don't eat it, they still get a taste, and are easier to wean...

OP
M

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
Parrots
Good idea Lene, thanks! We'll head out to the fruit market later get him some little treats to sample.

One more question for you...will these guys stop eating when they're full? Our guy that was so finnicky this morning now seems to have such a big appetite and feeds readily. I'm worried we might overfeed him, any way of knowing the right amount?

We did mix in a little of the powder he was used to with the better quality parrot stuff and he loves it, but now we'll see how he likes some good fruit.

Thanks again for all your help!:rainbow1:

OP
M

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
Parrots
Again my Fiance and I want to thank everyone for the help and wonderful site.

I really wanted to acquire an African Grey to raise but fear the removal of a Chinese breed one to take to USA or even other countries ??? I know more about him but Alexander Parrots are very common here and luv'd !!! So made a wise choice !

Our new little guy is such a blessing and learning experience for both of us.

I can't wait to train him in speech and tricks.

I have a Conure in the USA my Mother baby sits now. She is 80 now and Pecaso Pete keeps her excellent company and as much as I miss him, he keeps her going.

Our new guy is our Chinese Buddy and I have lived here 6 years now, WISH I had taken the chance sooner to get another, but... I wanted Pete to come here. I Pray my Mother out lives him since they are both such best friends.

I hope "Mr. Squaks" will be our best buddy and friend here.

I was worried for many reason to get one here but... So far so GREAT... especially with everyones help !!!

Note I grew up with some assorted bird, even albino parrakeets. I taught the one to say many words and tricks.

My Father one night hear someone talking to the dog. Thought us kids were up messing around and NOPE was the Albino, WILLY chatting up the PUP !

Note he was calling the DOG BAD ;-)

THANKS

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Have you done research on hand feeding? I hand fed my ringneck and eclectus with no problems BUT everyone warned me of the risks. You don't want the food too hot (it can burn the crop), or too cold. If you over feed you can stretch the crop too. Make sure the crop is empty before feeding him again. The crop should not be too firm, a little spongy to touch. Here is a site that helped me...there are tons out there :)

J-Birds Hand Feeding Page

OP
M

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
Parrots
Don't worry...he's old enough that hand feeding isn't a big problem, our worry is whether he is eating too much. Do you have to worry about them overeating?

Thanks! :rainbow1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You'll know when he's over eating...he'll throw up on you...lol

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
A good idea is to weigh the bird once a day... If he's putting on too much weight for his age, you might have to reduce his food intake....

Also check his crop... When it full, it should fell like a sponge... The crop should empty fully once every 24 hours, which usually happens at night.

Somewhere on the internet, is a chart showing the percentage of food compared to the bird's weight, that should be fed... Can't remember where, but I'll have a look later on.

OP
M

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
Parrots
tlouiselle

Thank you and and yes I saw that site as well. I have experience but from long ago and many babys were wild, chicken or duck. ;-) Then came parakeets and then parrots...

always learning though and we think we teach then ;-)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Just once in a 24 hour period... It normally happens a night.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They should be emptied inbetween feedings to prevent sour crop and such! It normally happens at night its because your sleeping and no feeding required.

Most Reactions

Latest posts