My birds

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
look at all them pearl cockatiels :D

have you considered using aspen or pine bedding in your nest boxes? they'd support the eggs and chicks better and keep proper humidity levels :) it will help give you better breeding results

OP
Achraf

Achraf

Apr 10, 2013
Media
Tunisia
Parrots
Lovebirds (rosy faced), cockatiels, Rosella.
Thanks for your comment :)
Well I used before aspen, but they get it out of the nest box, so I've thought that with sand, that would be good, and that support eggs too, otherwise, I'll to take your advice seriously and try that with new couple...then I'll be able to compare results.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pine shavings are bad they can create a lot of respiratory issues I suggest using shredded newspaper as a bedding as it is more or so safe. Beautiful birds by the way!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
wow. beautiful birdies. thanks for posting all the pics. those babies are something else!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
actually unscented pine is safe, its cedar that is dangerous :)

quoted:

When I pull the babies I place them in a big container with pine shavings. Half of the top covered, to help retain body heat. If the baby/babies are fully feathered there is no need for heat, room temperature is fine.

taken from here: Hand-Feeding and Weaning - Just Cockatiels!

the breeder here is one of the top experts ever known on the cockatiel forum i moderate on. this woman's advice has saved countless birds, including my own and i have learned a lot from her.

shredded paper does not offer the chicks enough support to prevent splay leg and it can suck humidity out of the eggs.

but i am not here to start a debate, i was just offering a suggestion to the OP. ;)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
There is a good production in the uk, it's shredded cardboard popular with snake enthusiast. I think it's called repticard.

OP
Achraf

Achraf

Apr 10, 2013
Media
Tunisia
Parrots
Lovebirds (rosy faced), cockatiels, Rosella.
Thanks for your interaction , I always used sand, it supports eggs and also little babies, but by the way I'm reading more and more about pine shavings, as you know I don't really use it, so I've gotta know more about.
I'll post more photos tomorrow, I have new cockatiel babies, and I wish that eggs of my lovebirds'll hatch...

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Very pretty birds thank you for sharing the pictures:)

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
Not sure which countries you are all in (I saw Canada, Tunisia, etc.) but where I live in the south of the USA, you can buy regular pine shavings (which have too much oil, same as cedar, and causes respiratory issues) and then you can also buy kiln-dried (or high heat dried) pine, which does not cause respiratory issues. :)

I'm DROOLING over your rosellas!!! That species are the most beautiful birds ever, in my opinion. <3 Love them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts