my conure does not want to eat i need help!!!

tommyjoel

Oct 11, 2013
El Salvador
Parrots
Mexican green conure
She is stuborn she is over 15 weeks old and she does not want to leave the formula i offer fruits and veggies every day and pellets all the time, the pellets she only destroys them and she does eat sime fruit and veggies but just about 3 bites and no more ive rried to starve her just a little bit so she maybe start eating on her own but insted she just flufs up and wait untill i feed her formula so i dont know what to do i am verry frustrated....

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Have you taken her to an avian vet yet? And could she be younger then what you listed? How long have you had her?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She is stuborn she is over 15 weeks old and she does not want to leave the formula i offer fruits and veggies every day and pellets all the time, the pellets she only destroys them and she does eat sime fruit and veggies but just about 3 bites and no more ive rried to starve her just a little bit so she maybe start eating on her own but insted she just flufs up and wait untill i feed her formula so i dont know what to do i am verry frustrated....

Then feed the formula... it's called regression and abundance weaning.

Forced weaning isn't good. Feed formula from a spoon on your lap, and offer bits of other foods as well to try and introduce other items into her diet.

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
I agree with bird man. Take it slow, make sure your bird is at least eating something. If his weight drops, immediately take him to the vet because it can go downhill very quickly from there.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes, you MUST keep on hand feeding! Have you tried weaning food??? Also you could soak pellets in water and feed it from your hand.

OP
T

tommyjoel

Oct 11, 2013
El Salvador
Parrots
Mexican green conure
the problem is that i am gonna travel in november so she needs to be weaned by then because somebody else is gonna take care of her...

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Then hold off on your trip or take her with you. Look into a vet or breeder that will board. If you force her off to soon you will have a neurotic bird on your hand for the rest of her life.

babyface

Oct 12, 2013
I am the proud new mommy of a baby crimson bellied conure, newly weaned. The aviary I got him/her from (still waiting on DNA results) was feeding a seed-rich mix, but I knew I wanted to feed a diet that is mostly pellets, with some seeds and soft foods to supplement. My new baby, however, has had a different idea! Baby will eat corn and peas and will nibble some green beans, loves the seed part of the mix, but wanted nothing to do with the pellets my maroon bellied conure ate for 17 years. Every evening, I let baby join us at the table for the veggie part of the daily diet, along with some dried fruits and/or banana. Baby has always been interested in whatever's on MY plate, too.
I got a sample of Harrison's and tried this little trick: I put some of the pellets on my plate and pretended to eat them. I then pretended to give some to my hubby...we both acted really excited about them, and baby dove right in!!
I put some in the upper food bowl and leave them available at all times. I only give seed mix in a bowl on the bottom and only for about an hour in the morning and again in the evening. So far, so good!

Now, I had the advantage of the fact that my baby was already weaned off of the formula, but I can't help but wonder if letting yours join you at the table would help. Birds are very social, feeding in flocks in the wild. They really like to eat with their "families". Playing on this might just help you out. Good luck!!

Last edited:
OP
T

tommyjoel

Oct 11, 2013
El Salvador
Parrots
Mexican green conure
i have pellets available all the time and every morning she just destroys them and turns them into powder is this normal????for the fresh foods she just destroys them and does not eat them i know she does not because i chek her crop afterwards and it is empty...is she just lazy????does this happen to conures???

Acindo

Sep 15, 2013
Sydney
Parrots
Kylar - DOB: 5th of July 2013
Are you sure she is just destroying them? My bird eats pellets all the time but after a while there's like a little powder coating on top because as they eat them naturally little bits fall out and then he picks another full pellet and goes again.

OP
T

tommyjoel

Oct 11, 2013
El Salvador
Parrots
Mexican green conure
i will try to do my best,thanx really all of you that helped me out i am a first time conure owner i have a lot of budgies but never had a conure before so i really hope i can be a great conure owner i hope all of u can help me as i am sure i will have other questions later on so thanks really!!:green2:

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
My sun conure wanted nothing to do with roundybush. Got a bag of zupreme fruit pellets and he loves them. I Also mix in 1/4 of Higgins conure blend seed mix

Most Reactions