My conure dosn't like staying in his cage.

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Hey everyone. Well i'm happy to say that my conure loves me, so much in fact that he absolutely hates being in his cage and only likes going in when it's time to eat or when it's time to sleep. I'm kinda bumbed because I got him a lot of toys(along with ones I made)and I'd like to see him use them. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Should I do something like make him stay in his cage for 1 hour so he can play? (really that's about the longest time he's ever in before i take him out again)

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Why not get a playstand and put his toys on that? If you look on the do-it-yourself forum you can find lots of good ideas. You can buy them on ebay for maybe $100-$200. Don't make him go in his cage if he doesn't want to. If you were a kid and your mum bought you some expensive toys, but you prefered being outside climbing trees and making mudpies, you wouldn't appreciate being locked up in your room would you? :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Conures need to be encouraged to play alone sometimes, as they can become little velcro birds! I agree that a playstand may be a good idea...try to tempt him into the cage with some treat, and then encourage him to play...

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
It depends if he comes out of his cage because he really wants to be ON you, or if he is happy running around by himself. If he's desperate to be with you maybe you will have to teach him to play alone, but if he is playing by himself already there's no problem, just get a playstand for his toys.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
I see. I'm not having to coax him into the cage. He is the nicest bird you'll ever see. You can pick him up, pet him on the back, under the wings, and the three-finger pet on the head. :) He'll go in his cage willingly enough, but right after that he's climbing all over the place wanting out. I think I will get a playstand. But since I work with wood a lot and already have made some before i'll just make one for him. :D save me a heck of a lot of money! What kind of play stand do you guys think it should be? High? Or shorter but with more things to do...

I guess i'm gratefull that he dosn't want to stay IN the cage! (and at least he dosn't scream or squawk or do any kind of noise when he wants out, that i'm grateful for)

Vivica

Sep 7, 2010
Philadelphia PA
Parrots
1 15 year old Golden Capped Conure Named Wrnts
You've got yourself a real cutie there, then. My conure gets a bit testy sometimes and just wants to be left alone. Other times, he's like "OMG ITS YOU, COME HERE!" But I think having you build a little play area for him would be very nice. See, everyone needs some separation time every once in a while.

Most Reactions

Latest posts