My Daredevil WBC...

CbusGrey

Sep 8, 2015
C-bus, OH
Parrots
Have an awesome WBC right now. Hopefully a beautiful African Grey down the road.
Sorry for the stupid question, however, my little girl is progressing nicely and the kids love her but I was wondering if it's normal for them to try and fly and bang into things (i.e. side of table, wall and couches, etc.). She'll be chilling and then takes off but her aim is horrible. She never appears to get hurt or scared from her 'failed flights' but I was curious if this is normal since my friends WBCs has never even tried to take off.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I guess that would depend on how old she is and if she was ever taught how to fly.

They don't hatch out knowing, their parents teach them.

My Amazon has HORRIBLE "aim" and ends up in places opposite from where she started out to go. And her landings are more somersault and tumbling than they are landings. The few times she has tried have been scary for me hoping she doesn't get hurt, but at least she doesn't try often.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I agree with Amanda... often times it depends on if they ever learned properly. My birds are perfect examples of this. My conure never fledged properly, she was clipped as soon as her wing feathers even grew in and as a result she never learned to fly without instincts driving her. Her flight is choppy, her landings for the first year were miserable, and two years later she still has difficulty in building up enough confidence to willfully fly somewhere.

My IRN, however, fledged as a baby and learned how to fly alongside his siblings. He can fly through small spaces, hover, turn on a dime, and lands perfectly wherever he plans to. He'll fly so close to my face and turn around my face that I've actually been slapped by him a few times, the booger [emoji16]. Landing is part of flying, and if they never learned how to fly properly then they never really learned to land, either. It's basically a two way street in that regard.

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
I have 11 caiques, of which 5 WBC's. Average age 4 years.

I've had them all since they were babies.

A very hard landing can happen, But it shouldnt happen OFTEN.

My guys can fly straight and true, like a guided missile

Most Reactions