My dream came true!!!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
my parents and my best friend just suprised me with 5 beautiful lady gouldian finches and one gorgous society finch!!!! i ran around the block leaping and running and jumping, i hugged everyone and am just soo unbelivalby happy i cant beleive they finaly let me get a bird i cant even type right!!!!!!!! my parents said i can breed them too, thank goodness for the society finch because i heard gouldians can be terrible parents. im just estatic! i will post pics as soon as i learn how!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats!!! Finches are a great way to start with bird ownership! My first pair to give me babies were Zebra Finches, very prolific breeders!!!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thank you i just cant wait to breed them! one keeps twitching his wings is this normal, like he slightly separates them from his side and vibrates them and then relaxes them?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Does he make whining noise while at it? Usually that's a baby begging to be fed....you have any idea how old they are?

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
he has adult plumage and he hasnt done it in a while i cant tell if hes making noise or not some one keeps chirping but not when he is twitching his wings. im not sure how old they are though, my friends half brothers dad was giving them away so my friends mom gave them to me because she knows how much i love birds, his mouth isnt open and his neck isnt bobbing so i think hes weened, plus hes eating the seed i put out for them :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
It also can be aggression if there are multiple males within the same cage...

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
i think your right, there are at least two males, and two juveniles, however im worried about the one society finch, hes roostng by himself and hes the only one still awake, should i get him another society finch? also i was told to leave the light on in their cage untill they have roosted, but he wont go to sleep, im afraid hes not sleeping because of the light, but im afraid if i turn it off h will crash trying to find a perch, am i worrying to much?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Congratulations! I love gouldians, they are so pretty, they're like the skittles of the finch world :) And you are right, they aren't the best parents so it's good you have a society finch as well. I have never personally kept finches but we had a lot at the store I worked at and I had a blast with them. Gouldians aren't the easiest to breed but I'm sure you can do it. The biggest problem I had was the parents constantly pushing the eggs out of the nest :/ Society finches make great surrogates though and will sit on the gouldian eggs pretty easily. I think they are in my top three favorite finch species, along with cut throats and owl finches. Good luck, can't wait to see some pictures!

You mentioned about needing to figure out how to upload pictures, I made an account with photobucket, then uploaded my pictures to there, then just copy and paste the image code into the text box. :cool:

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
lol your right, maybe il name one skittles :). they seem to be settling down il dim the lights and see if that helps.

Most Reactions