my DYH wants to kill my YSA-am I overreacting?

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I don't know what this is, but it looks to me like she wants to fight.....:mad:
I am going to post the video so you guys tell me what you think.
Maybe she wants to play?.......I hope so.....
Her previous owner told me that they use to say to each other (Simba and her previous owner) "I gonna getchyou" when they played together. So, please, please tell me that she wants to play........
http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=7SFuoQwB4tM&ns=1&o=U

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Is that an edit link to your video from within your account? If it is, outsiders can't look at it.....

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Thank you, I just fixed it I hope.
It was set as unlisted, for people with it's link to be able to see it.
Now it's "Public", I hope you can check it out.
Please let me know if there is a problem to see it again.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
I am new to posting through the youtube.
I just checked and it's 90% done....apparently it has to go through the publishers.......oh boy, sorry guys......should be ready soon.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Here is the video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeMrnKDKDuQ]My Edited Video - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, it certainly looks like Simba wants to fight. :(

CaitlinBird

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Achilles my blind Cockatiel, she is four years old.

a Moluccan Cockatoo that it's over 30 years old.
That lunge was not friendly! How long have these two known each other? I hope you introduced them gradually as I Vann see their cages are quite close together! Did you want training advice?

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Marley looked so sweet and innocent. That lunge would of scared the crap out of me. It was similar to the lunge that Mango did towards the Quaker. I'm no bird expert but I wouldn't trust Simba around Marley.

I will end this by saying Simba is really beautiful and quite a character.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
That lunge was not friendly! How long have these two known each other? I hope you introduced them gradually as I Vann see their cages are quite close together! Did you want training advice?

Thank you so much.
I would take all advice you can offer.
Simba (DYHA) bonded with me last March in the sanctuary where I volunteered. But the adoption went nowhere for a long time so I bought Marley (YSA).
So, Marley was in my house first, and I got Simba one month after that.
I am sure Simba feels like she knows me longer and therefore owns me...LOL.
Simba is bonded with me more than Marley also.
I just moved their cages to this room and there is not enough space to get them apart where they are. I'll work on getting them to another place in the house where they can be separated.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yet that's NOT wanting to play!!

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Mango acted like that with the Quaker, I now have them getting along. I think what helped was introducing them in neutral territory.

I know dyha are more difficult but Simba seems to listen to you from the video. Keep us posted on how its going.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep.

Amazon territorialism. Possible jealousy.

One bird is inviting the other bird to LEAVE - NOW!

Give them each a separate space in the house, and I would not handle them together. The DYH is just as liable to go after you...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
For what ever reasons, Amazons, especially male hot 3's, especially with another male in the house, (and even more especially HAWKHEADS!!!) need more "personal space" than most birds, unless they have a pair bond thing going, then they become more or less inseparable.

I don't know why it is, but it just is.

Gradually get them used to each other, and see what happens once they each have their own space, and their own time with you. Structure the interaction. Then maintain the structure, and keep the peace.

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Jacob a sun conure who found me!
what I noticed, and Im a dog trainer not a bird trainer, but it seemed to be a bit more display/warning than pure aggression? (bird people correct me here), and Simba did listen, could positive association and such maybe help the situation?

I do love the amazons!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
In dealing with many amazon for many years , i;ve learned that once they form an opinion about something, especially another bird /person, they don't change. If they are ever aggressive to anything(another bird), then they'll always be aggressive to it. Don't ever trust that DYH to not attack the other zon. And they can be VERY sneaky about it.I live with a bunch of hen zons (my user name) they say a elephant never forgets, the same is true about zons, especially the hens. You may think every thing is OK between them, but don't trust them.

Last edited:
OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Any luck with those two?

It's actually not as bad all the time as it's shown in the video.
I think what happened when I was filming the video is that Simba was enjoying the interaction with me and then all of the sudden I asked her "Where is Marley?". She just couldn't take such a rude reminding of poor little Marley. If you could notice in the video, the second I asked her that question, she just turned around and went after Marley.....:rolleyes:
So, I think I've learned my lesson. I'll interact with each of them separately without even mentioning of the other's name.....:54:
They are pretty tolerant of each other actually. I have seen Simba going into Marley's cage to check what Marley has left in her food dishes while Marley was sitting inside her own cage. Marley was surprised but didn't panic, and Simba just checked and left. They sit on two separate stands in the area where I am usually. I have tried to put them on one stand, but neither of them liked that.
I think what helps is that Marley has a VERY good nature being YSA. She is not aggressive at all. Simba being with another bird (not a bonding pair) all her life also is not as possessive as DYHA could be, so she is willing to go along with me kissing another bird, at least for now. That is my assessment of the situation.
I will try to be careful when both cages are open.......:rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts