Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Cocoa loves playing with kids. Even though the kids were rough, they didn't scare Cocoa away.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtuBW6QevNo]YouTube - Cocoa, African Grey 5[/ame]

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Wow what amazing photos she looks sooooo happy. After seeing them I am going to harness my girls and let them fly!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
I was supposed to go hiking with Cocoa this morning but in the last minute I changed my mind. I took her for flying exercise to test out the new line which I bought 2 days ago. It's an 80lbs Dyneema fishing line. Much lighter than the bulky nylon rope I was using.
It went on well initially. She did 240ft twice and 250ft once. She was rested for awhile before took her for last round. I told her last round not last day.
On nearing the landing platform, she flew higher and higher. She was flying away, past the platform. When the line reached maximum she had to turn back.
I thought she would come back to me but instead she flew past me. I thought the line had snapped. I could only see the leash of the harness flying past me.
I nearly had an heart attack. My heart was pounding real fast. I ran after her. She landed on the goal post of the football field which was about 20ft away from me. I quickly went to grab the leash and checked the line. Thanks goodness the line was still intact.

Cocoa didn't respond to my recall. Since she was comfortably perching on the goal post, I quickly retrieved the flight line then climbed the post to retrieve Cocoa. Usually the flying exercise ends with a session of recall training before heading home. But I had no guts to do it this morning. What an experience!

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
:eek: Wow that must have been scary for both of you. Just goes to show that you never know what might happen, regardless of how well they usually respond. Good on you for harnessing Cocoa - I think its the safest way and it definitely helped in this incident.

Loving the photos and videos by the way;)

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
How scary for you. Cocoa was probably aware she had more freedom than usual and was determined to use it, just goes to show you can never be 100% sure they will return to their owner no matter how close that relationship is and I know you have a great relationship going, cocoa is one of (if not the) the most travelled companion birds I know.

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
I did a few short distance flights this morning. All turned out well. I didn't have the guts to try 250ft again, not at this moment. I'll let her get used to the ultra light fishing line for a week or so before putting her back on the 250ft flight.

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
We are now 180km away from home. This is grandma's house.
This will be Cocoa's 3rd visit and Mocha's 1st.

Cocoa having rice porridge and steamed fish for lunch.
IMG_2102.jpg

At grandma's hardware store.
IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Favourite hangout place at grandma's house.
IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Mocha's new travel cage.
IMG_2116.jpg

Outside grandma's house.
IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Wow, great pictures! Cocoa is certainly spoiled rotten, what a lucky bird! :) What kind of bird is Mocha? She's gorgeous!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Enjoyed the video and loved the pictures, really awesome.
Cocoa sure is a lucky "free flying" bird
Happy it had a happy ending.
Keep up the great work

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
The next day we visited an oil palm plantation located just opposite of my mom in law's house. We collected a bag of palm nuts, FOC.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Cocoa is a dominant bird and also a jealous bird. Most of the time she refused to let Mocha (a Hill Mynah for those who do not know) to perch on our shoulders. Cocoa would chase Mocha away. Not only that, she also chased Mocha away from the kitchen cabinet and the fridge.

This morning Mocha followed my wife to the dressing room. He likes to perch on the clothes rack. Cocoa flew in later and perched on the curtain rail at the window. Mocha chased Cocoa away and took over the curtain rail. Cocoa then flew to the door. And again Mocha went to "attack" Cocoa. Cocoa had to flee and she crash landed outside the room. Mocha claimed his 1st victory over a bird almost twice his size.

craftsmaster

Jun 5, 2010
Gold Coast Australia
Parrots
African Grey
I didn't know much about CAG though it shares common traits with TAG, but I guess now I will. I think CAG hates being isolated. As the photos implies, cage is not a good idea for African Grey, maybe an aviary of wide open cage with tropical sights.

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Cocoa having bad cold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UybxoVnXe6I]YouTube - African Grey sneezes[/ame]

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Cocoa playing with my daughter who was hiding behind the curtain.
DSC_0061-2.jpg

DSC_0062-2.jpg

DSC_0064-3.jpg

DSC_0065-2.jpg

Most Reactions