My First Quaker, Reptar!

DrSkyentist

Jul 25, 2013
Hey all!
I just adopted a 7 month old Quaker named Reptar (like the dino from Rugrats). He lived with another family for about 4 months when their daughter developed allergies and they had to get rid of him. Its only been 4 days and he's already stepping up when I give the command and the bonding process I feel is going very well.

The one issue that I don't know how to figure out is that while I'm holding him he will sometimes jump off. His wings are clipped so he just ends up crashing into a wall or landing a bit harder than I feel is safe on the ground. (whoever clipped his wings cut them too short, I think). How do I stop him from doing so? I can sort of anticipate it so i start petting him so that he has no chance to get his bearings, but that seems to just stall it rather than stop it all together.

Also what are some good quaker taming guides? and a good guide on quaker body language?

Thanks!
Mo and Reptar!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
LOVE the name I used to watch Rugrats every day as a kid :p congrats on getting him! Only time will stop him from doing that hes jumping off either because his new house is just so exciting or hes not quite comfortable with you yet just take it slow for now.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
congrats on your quaker! I also used to watch rugrats all the time :) I know what you mean about already stepping up, quakers are VERY smart and I think tend to be fairly nice(when not inside their cage that is) I would give him a bit of time to calm down before you think he isn't "tame" and do work you may not need to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts