My flock has grown!

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Hey everyone,

I know I have not been posting as much here lately, but here I am today with a little announcement!

Well, I am excited to announce that my flock has grown by one! I am the proud owner of a rehomed Blue Fronted Amazon. I am not sure of the sex but his previous family referred to him as a "he". He is three and a half years old and super smart. He is quite the chatterbox and can pick up words and phrases sometimes after hearing them once. He even likes to sing but I can't for the life of me figure out the song I think he just made it up! LOL.

His old family gave him up because he belonged to a 17-year-old and just did not bond with his old owner. He bonded to the brother and the father. The brother is a university student who came home late after classes and studying and didn't have time to spend with the bird. He told me that he was just not a bird person despite being "chosen". The father works out of town and would be gone for a week or two at a time. In the end they decided it was best for the bird to be rehomed.

So little bit more about him. He is super playful and likes nothing more than wrestling with my hand. He can be a little rough about it sometimes and even growls when he does it. He will grab my finger and plop on his side and start gnawingn on my fingers and grabbing them with his feet while he rolls on his back.. He is also very fond of playing with anything and everything in his sight. I am not used to that as Lemon will sit on me or in my shirt for hours. This guy as he sees something interesting will run over and try to grab it. I dare you to try to sign something in front of him. He will come and grab the pen. Pens are his favourite toy it seems like. Of course pens that have been stripped of the ink cartridge if that's what you call it LOL. I have come to understand what do you guys mean when you say that Amazons are bold and fearless. Because that describes him perfectly. Curiosity before caution. Play before retreat. Dismantle before analyzing. It is really quite interesting, and it makes it so that he is really quite good at self entertaining. He can be busy in his cage playing with his toys for hours and his independence is fascinating and quite refreshing. I love my other feathered monkey but he is pretty much yellow coloured Velcro!.

The Amazon has bonded to me pretty quickly and will follow me around and allow me to do pretty much anything like rub his head and touch his feet and lift his wings. When he's not in the mood it seems like he's actually shaking his head no and I leave him alone if he doesn't want to be touched.

I know that it's going to be very fun journey with this guy but I'm sure I will be leaning on my Amazon snobs with many questions. He is quite different than my conure, I will say that. As far as a name is concerned he does have one but I will likely be changing it. For now we just call him Green. His old family called him Professor Green but I think it's too long of a name.

Well thanks for reading my long posts if you made it this far. I will see if I can upload pictures but I haven't done that in a long time so wish me luck with that!

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Here are some pics that I have attempted to attach. I can't see if it worked until I post so I hope it works!

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 96
OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Hmmmm. They are all sideways!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Even upside down and sideways he looks like a cutie lol. The first picture with his wide eye'd look is great. Congrats and many happy years together. Looks like he is fitting right in! :p

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
congratulations and thanks for rescuing him.
He sounds like quit the character.
I have a hard time remembering when (if ever) my YNA Bingo was so playful.
Luna is making up for Bingo being a perch potato.

If the age of your bird is accurate you could be in for some rough times when he hits puberty.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations Kalel! I am so excited for you, and Green could not have found a better home. He is stunning! I love his colours!
Has Moonie met him yet?
Your post made my day:) Hope to see you at the parrot show at the end of the month:)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hey !COngrats on the new son! He is a handsome fellow. Its nice he is that playful, its a real charge to play with Salty like that. We callit rough housing! Green certainly hit the jackpot coming home with you. Good Luck! And...............Amazons have more, well you know.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome even deeper into the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Yes, you are faced with puberty in the near future. That said, the effort you put into developing a deeply bonded relationship and extensive effort at socializing your Amazon the better it will be for everyone! Understanding that the effects of puberty is chemical and understanding that will help greatly.

Add to this, understanding and tuning into their Body Language. If you have not read the first Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum, that is a must and it needs to be read over and over again (out-loud) to your Amazon until you know it like a first language. This is the foundation to they overall body language and to this base, each Amazon will add to it their own body statements.

Reading the two Sticky's at the top of the Amazon Forum will get you started. They take the time to work back into the Forum and you will find a ton of information.

You will be an Amazon Snob in no time at all!!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations on your new addition to the flock :)! He’s quite handsome!

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Thanks everyone! I sure am happy to have him!

Jim, your flock is beautiful too!

Textsize, yes he is super playful and fun but he wants to explore and get into EVERYTHING! LOL.

Terry, thanks for the kind words:). I'm glad my post made your day and I can't wait to see you at the parrot show in a few weeks:)

Wrench, thank you. It is pretty fun to rough house with him and he seems to be understanding how rough is too rough:). And yes I DO know hahaha.

Sailboat, thanks for the kind Amazon welcome and I have already read the threads you mentioned, but they can never be read enough as each reading will give me more and more knowledge I'm sure. I shall be re-reading them many times over!

Ravensgryf, thanks so much. I think he is a good looking guy myself, but it's good to get an unbiased opinion. What am I talking about. We are ALL biased here! No such thing as an ugly bird to us hahaha.

I didn't mention that in addition to being a playful little character, he LOVES showers! He will fluff up, open his wings up and sort of in front of himself and do a roll/flip around his shower perch to get water all over his body. It really is quite cute to watch! I actually think his previous owners had a youtube channel with him doing this while getting sprayed. I'll see if I can find and link it here.

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Textsize and Sailboat,

One thing that stood out to me is the puberty you speak of. When Lemon hit puberty at about 2.5 years old, he become a bit of a jerk for a few months but it wasn't really that bad. Do Amazons generally hit puberty a bit older than conures? Also, as for socializing him I am not sure what the best way to do this is. I tried taking him to the pet shop and when a couple of employees tried to ask him to step up, he was not having it. He actually bit both of them. Now, my family is afraid to even try and he has bonded to me but threatened a couple of my family members. It's kind of a difficult situation to socialize a bird that other people are afraid to handle. Any suggestions?

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Here is the link to him showering. There are 4 videos in total on his channel so you can watch all of them if you like:)

[ame="https://youtu.be/Tn6Ld7zIJXc"]Cute Amazon parrot showering - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
He's a wonderful addition to your flock! Love the showering video, wish all of my birds were so delighted by water!

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Thanks, Scott. Yes, the shower video is one of my favourites!

Most Reactions

Latest posts