my gcc is laying eggs

deb3212

Sep 19, 2014
pennsylvania
Parrots
2yr old female goffins cockatoo Chloe; 5yr old female cinnamon conure Mango; 2yr old male ?? conure Stewie
my 5 yr old cinnamon conure is laying eggs, she laid 1 on sunday and 1 on Tuesday then stopped, did she have 2 because its her 1st time and I read they only lay eggs twice a year and not until feb. or march?? any information is welcomed and appreciated :green2:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
First timers are not always consistent, but as a general rule she could lay 2-5 eggs, usually one every other day and not begin sitting her nest, often until the 3rd one has been laid.....since this is her first time nesting, you might want to let her go the full 28 days...removing eggs may cause her to replace the missing eggs, which is taxing on her body, speaking of taxing on her body, you'll want to get her a cuttle bone and add a calcium supplement and/or egg food to her diet.....if she abandons the nest/eggs, leave them a couple of days longer, then you should be able to remove them without her trying to replace them.....

In the wild, birds are cued to begin nesting when new crops/food sources become plentiful and the days grow longer, as captive companion birds, their internal clocks kind of get a bit skewed, food is usually always plentiful, though we humans tend to mess with their daylight & dark times more than we realize, so your February & March nesting times seem to be a little bit off.....you'll learn that the only exacts companion birds is that they eat & they poop and everything in between is maybe, so she may decide to catch up on her clutch on be done for her first time out.....be sure she has a means to bathe also, if she had a mate and the eggs were viable, humidity levels are important to the continued viability of the eggs...and...a humidity level of around 50% helps prevent egg binding.....

Good luck.....

Last edited:

Most Reactions