Status
Not open for further replies.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yesssssssss!

And that diagnosis fits the symptoms perfectly. Swollen kidneys would cut off some of the nerve impulses to the feet, interfering with the ability of the feet to properly grasp... thus the weakened grip.

I'm so happy for you and Tequila both!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I am sorry this is late! I'm so glad you got a diagnosis, and your precious baby is being treated now. That is such great news. I wish all the best for recovery here on out.

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
Thankyou ! :)

I've just gotta scrub out her cage. It is newish, but it's powder coated. So i'm not sure if that was the cause.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Thankyou ! :)

I've just gotta scrub out her cage. It is newish, but it's powder coated. So i'm not sure if that was the cause.

If you dont mind my asking, what brand was the cage and where did you get it?

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I seriously could cry with joy at the moment. She will be fine. She's had metal toxicity and they will keep her there for the next couple of days until she's 100%. Her kidneys are just still a little swollen. She can pass poo fine so her stomach doesn't need to be operated on. They also kept the bill very low. I am so so so happy at the moment. I'm a little teary!!!

Please do cry with joy, as it is cathartic and far better than the alternative!!

I am so happy Tequila has a good diagnosis and will be fine. Metal toxicity can be insidious and lurk within the most innocuous of items. Hopefully it is not the cage, as that is an expensive proposition to replace. Many toys have suspect metals, such as bells (I always remove the ringer as it is a favorite to remove and possibly ingest fragments) clasps, and even structures that hold beads, blocks, etc. Lead-testing kits are available that allow you to swab metal and observe a color change to indicate positively.

Good luck in your quest to rid Tequila of future toxic encounters!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I'm hoping the very best outcome for your treasured Tequila. Veterinary care is as much an art as science. Having a trusted and competent doctor is invaluable.

Many of us have been in your position and well know the angst you are experiencing. Please continue to keep us posted as you and Tequila are in our thoughts.

Thanks so much. It really is one of the worst feelings in the world. We are very bonded and I don't think I'd find another Eccy like her. All the vet nurses adore her and have told me they haven't met such a nice female Eccy before.

I seriously could cry with joy at the moment. She will be fine. She's had metal toxicity and they will keep her there for the next couple of days until she's 100%. Her kidneys are just still a little swollen. She can pass poo fine so her stomach doesn't need to be operated on. They also kept the bill very low. I am so so so happy at the moment. I'm a little teary!!!
Wonderful news...so glad to hear Tequila will be okay...hope you find the cause of the toxicity soon

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
I am so happy for you, that's so great she'll be alright! :)
Is she good with the vet?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so thrilled that Tequila is improving! Breathing a big sigh of relief for you both.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
This is fabulous news! I'm so glad Tequila will be all right! I do hope you can find the source of the the toxic metal, as Scott mentioned, there are many possibilities. Please continue the updates.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I am so glad your vet came through for you and Tequila is recovering!

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
Thank you everyone for their support!!! :) I just can't wait to get her home. She's fine with the vet. She's a very lovely little girl, everybody there loves her too bits. I've gone and checked on her and she's getting better.

I just don't know what could have caused this except maybe the cage. She doesn't have many toys. She shreds more than anything so I give her branches.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Wonderful news! So happy for you and Tequila!

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
Rang the vet to check on her. Miss Tequila isn't eating and he thinks it's because she misses me. Going to the vet after work to try and coax her to eat.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Jess I'm jumping for joy elated for you! What a wonderfully happy ending!!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
FLBoy... thank you for that thread on poisoned conures.... GAWD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts