My Green Cheek Conures Won’t Breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
personally I would suggest to stick off breeding, not so much because of education or anything but purely because there are so many parrots without homes stuck in rescues that are ready to burst. This is just my personal opinion but I think there need to be less breeders at the moment and instead of making more and more parrots to a more dwindling population of people who want to keep parrots the focus should be on helping the ones who are already around and need a loving family

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yes, you have to start somewhere, which is why I told you to forget about breeding birds UNTIL you find a breeder to mentor with...

I grew-up with a mother and grandmother who were breeders, and that's how I learned....YOU CANNOT "READ" ABOUT HAND-FEEDING/HAND-RAISING AND KNOW HOW TO DO IT CORRECTLY, THAT USUALLY ENDS IN ASPIRATED BABIES...

And I don't have a clue what your last sentence was supposed to say, but if you think that the pair of birds that you have are going to breed after being together for going-on 2 years with no hormonal behavior at all, then I'm sorry, but that pair of birds just isn't a match...Have you ever dated someone for a short time and then said "Well, I like them, but not that way"??? That's what you have...again, YOU CANNOT FORCE 2 BIRDS TO BREEDS...And leaving that nest-box in with your female is very, very bad for her health...

You're going to do what you want to do, I'm just trying to get you to do it the responsible, ethical way, rather than the way you are doing it...or trying to do it...Look at it this way, If you didn't even know why the pair of birds you have weren't breeding/mating and what might possibly be "wrong with them", then do you really think you should be breeding babies and hand-raising them right now???

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Your right about keeping them as pets but I still to want breed parrots everyone has to start to start somewhere you didn’t probably know a lot about parrots your whole life and I’ve read everything I could about breeding Green Cheek Conures and hand feeding and everything else I’m not gonna breed my current pair but maybe someday in the future I’ll try a different pair so thank you for your comments I’m not buying know more proven breeders you’ll probably have the same chance with ones that ain’t proven breeders what I think so thank you again

I was waiting for an explosion when you said that - and am a surprised nobody blew up in your face.

So you have 1 pair of parrots in a cage ... what else?
Buying birds is the easiest step in parrotkeeping.

Do you have the things mentioned in the previous posts to keep the adult birds alive as well as any young ones.

(No idea where on this planet you live- but overhere its illegal to pull chicks from under the parents and handraise them-- and that really will cut in potential profits- no more than 2 rounds a year if you must let them fledge naturally, maybe even just one, depending your seasons)
If you are not handraising them...where are they going to grow up? Is there an aviary in you back yard where they can learn to fly and develop correctly? If you are going to handraise them...where can you keep them?

Reading up on stuf only gets you this far- you needs hand-on-experience and a teacher - go work with a real breeder (if they let you).

;) I once spend a lovely part of the morning talking to someone claiming to breed hyacinth macaws (amongst other parrots) and guess what ... my african greys are still NOT mating -> that is exactly how far theory will get you.

If you are really, really desparate to breed them: build the largest aviary you possibly can, fill it with males of the right age. Build a smaller aviary inside for the female and let her choose one.
(and hope they choose each other)
but.. maybe still nothing will happen because your cage isn't big enough, maybe your food isn't exectly right, it's too dark in your house, not enough peace and quiet, the perches not the best diameter etc.etc.etc. (the list is endless)

ps I do not want my CAG to produce young, so I am happy- I just want them to be parrots

It is a *huge* time, space, material and money-investment for dubious profit.
Why not just enjoy your birds?

(chances are prety good you'll never see a dime)

Last edited:
OP
P

Parrot_775

Banned
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Parrots
GCC Beauty - GCC Beast - Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Woodstock - Cockatoo is Gone - Cockatiel Stella
Ok EllenD I’m sick your rudeness and judgement I’ve trying to be nice. I said am I not gonna breed my current pair so read better and I’m not forcing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Okay, let's take a breath here. It's okay to disagree, but let's do so civilly. No name calling, no cursing. Several posts have already been edited. If this kind of discourse continues, I'll be forced to close this thread.

OP
P

Parrot_775

Banned
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Parrots
GCC Beauty - GCC Beast - Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Woodstock - Cockatoo is Gone - Cockatiel Stella
And delete if you want I wish you would please delete or whatever call it shut down

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
And delete if you want I wish you would please delete or whatever call it shut down

Consider it done. This thread is now closed due to the profanity laced tirade of the OP. Geez, do you kiss your mom with that potty mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts