My Kakarikis don't seem to mates. Please help!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
separate cages right next to each other, let's them be near each other whilst not being able to diddly the doodly which should avoid stressing them

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
But how can I prevent them from breeding?!

Highly encourage you to read all the threads in the breeder sub-forum and do some more research before plunging into breeding your birds. You are asking very basic questions that indicates to me that you are not prepared. No second nestbox should be needed, the pair will only need one.

They can still breed....just remove the nest box for now and remove all eggs that may be laid. Mine still live a happy life together and breed but since they don't have a nestbox they don't lay eggs. So do all the research you can for the next few months and learn all you can, then you may be ready. Of course no one can stop you from letting them breed and lay but they do require work and you will go through heartbreak if you are not prepared to take on a baby that is not being fed by parents.

Derinnc

Apr 15, 2019
Please research before giving or accepting advice. There is a lot of wrong information in these responses.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Hi Derinnc! I noticed this is your first post to the forum - congrats and welcome :)

You're welcome to start a new thread in the New Members side, so we can all get to know each other. Looking forward to hearing about your little one(s?). We love knowledge sharing on this forum, and it sounds like you might have some insights to contribute!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I would not believe a word the shoplady tells/told you.
(too many inconsistencies already)

If you are up to it: get your birds DNA-sexed (the DIY feathertest is very cheap and if you do it right/ wash hands in between birds etc./ reliable as any other test out there).
You would not be the first person to end up with a same-sex-couple; nothing wrong with that: the birds will be just as loving (or not) towards each other but making babies will not happen for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts