my little nut bird

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
well i think its finally happening, my little nut bird is settling into our routine :green2::D
she will let my partner take her off him, though unless there is no good reason to, he'll leave her perched on his shoulder, where she will not move from, unless there is a dam good treat on offer :11::32:

when he leaves for work she will watch him go, but then get back to being her nutty little self about the house, before she would cry out for him, and flap about rather vigourously :63::20:

she is not that territorial around her cage and i have not seen a clipped of coloured feather for over a week now!!
she still looks moth eaten and my friends thinks i'm nuts bathing with her and one even pointed out she looked better when i got her!!!:11:
but i know she is happier and trust me enough to give her her head rubs that make her eyes flash and at times purr :p

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
It is good that Nut is coming around and settling in to your house hold. Tiki surprisingly has settled it very quickly. I will have had him for a month as of tomorrow.

But yesterday, he nailed my wife. Rosalie thought Tiki wanted to play because he was on top of his cage so she went over to him and offered her hand for him to step up. Well I knew Tiki was a little moody because I offered my hand for him about 10 minutes earlier, but he backed off as if to say no thanks.

So before I could stop her, Tiki latched on to her index finger with his beak and hung on. She tried blowing on his face like I had told her to do, but that wasn't working. I came in the room hearing the racket and saw what was going on as my wife was frantic and getting ready to sling Tiki off her finger so I grabbed Tiki, which let go of her finger. I scolded him thoroughly with "NO BITE, NO BITE" and quickly put him in his cage and closed his cage up for awhile.

Fortunately, there was no blood letting. But there was a very good pinch and a nice bruise. So lets just say, my wife will be a little gun shy around Tiki for a bit. Later in the day, I got Tiki out of his cage, to play and he was in a better mood by that time. I took him to my wife and placed him on her hand and Tiki was fine. But as soon as he even looked like he was moving towards flesh with his beak, he quickly handed him back to me.

I told her, that Tiki spends a great deal of time with me and if she wants to associate with Tiki, she is going to have to socialize with him on his terms.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww your poor misses :( but i know how she feels lol when nut did that she really did it with intent lol

theres no such thing as don't scream, show fear etc cos it bloody hurts lol, i just said oww! squinted at her with a dirty look an turned my back, her response was to flu onto my shoulder, and then off again, as if to say sorry lol she did same with my son when he turned his back to her

but its a rare thing for her to bite, as for your wife i would say she goes to tiki armed with treats lol

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I got Gracie when she was about 6 years old and she had two homes before me. The poor girl was attacked by another bird the day before she came home with me so she hates others birds. It took her about a month to trust me. I have learned that you must do things slow around her or she will get upset with you. I am the only one in my household that is not afraid of her and knows how to handle her. She can really bite hard! She tends to have mood swings but when she is nice she can be a real sweetheart! Is it a normal senegal behavior to be content one minute and then growl at you for no reason? Or is my little Gracie a confused birdy.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lmao i think its normal, she can be all content one minute an then the next threatening to remove my fingers :eek:

but i can read the signs now and i kinda know when she is baiting me to give her a head rub,(her eyes pin before i start rubbing) so she can give me a nip?? not sure why she does that lol but when she don't get her own way she walks off throwing her head back, so funny to watch lol:63:

and yes everything in there own time, like i can never rush her to come onto my shoulder as i move around the house, if i do she'll fly on, but puff up (PUFF) and look all harrassed and dig her claws in a bit more then needed:11:

but i really wont have her any other way:rolleyes: she's a joy to watch an today she has been jumping from my son to his friends, they've been good enough to listen to my instructions as none of them are birdy ppl, one even hid under a throw while trying to play on the xbox :D so she just sat on his head :p

oh when she purrs its like alow growl?? cos nut normally hisses like a cat when she's really miffed

Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I call it the Dr. Jekyl & mR. Hyde personality and no, you aint alone with it. My Tiki can be sweet as sugar mainly in the afternoons and evenings. But in the mornings, he can be a little moody. Also if I put him back in his cage, lock him up and then leave the house, when I return and want to play with him he will pout and be moody for a couple of hours. Then he will come out of his cage and be all happy and want to play.

Mike

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol mike nuts like that in the mornings, :20: til she's had her breakfast and morning poop :52: she'll stay in her sleeping cage

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
but i can read the signs now and i kinda know when she is baiting me to give her a head rub,(her eyes pin before i start rubbing) so she can give me a nip??

Gracie is the opposite. I know I am safe when her eyes are pinned and she starts purring. She goes into what I call a trance where I can wave my hand in front of her and she will not do anything. It's kind of funny.

I'm glad to hear that Gracie isn't the only with mood swings! I don't know many people with senegals.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol crazy4birds theres the way nut will hold her body an feathers, cos her eyes do pin at times but she'll look relaxed all over in safe mode lol
and i love it when she goes into the happy head rub mode lol and then she'll start moving her head like a cat, and when i get her neck between my finger tips an do both sides she sways a little, 1st time she nearly fell of perch :) and she makes the cutest little noises when she's all content

sene's are fab :) and so glad my brother didn't have a great dane he didn't have time for lol

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
lol crazy4birds theres the way nut will hold her body an feathers, cos her eyes do pin at times but she'll look relaxed all over in safe mode lol
and i love it when she goes into the happy head rub mode lol and then she'll start moving her head like a cat, and when i get her neck between my finger tips an do both sides she sways a little, 1st time she nearly fell of perch :) and she makes the cutest little noises when she's all content

sene's are fab :) and so glad my brother didn't have a great dane he didn't have time for lol

hahahahaha, That's funny Sue, Tiki has just gotten to where he will let me scratch the back of his neck. Now he's coming over to me when he wants his neck scratched. He'll start chattering and talking up a storm while I scratch his neck. He would sit in his cage playing with one of his hanging toys that has a bell at the bottom of it (like 90% of them do hahahaha) and swing the bell, bend his neck down as if trying to get the bell to scratch the back of his neck. I guess it wasn't doing it for him, so he resorted to me his old stand by :D

Mike

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Gracie loves getting her neck scratched. She could sit there for hours while I scratch her if I had all day lol. She pecks my hand if I stop as if she were saying "I'm not done with you yet!" She loves it when I pet her feathers on her neck backwards. I could never do that with Nicky or he'll yell at me.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww mike lmao they have ways of making themselves heard lol right now nut is gettin up to no good, cos she is walking about near things i normally shuu her off :)

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
oh i lift the feathers on nuts neck :) an litterally rub near the down/skin, and yes nut nips when i stop, so i just give her a gentle beak hold, cos i know my fingers are safe :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Gracie loves getting her neck scratched. She could sit there for hours while I scratch her if I had all day lol. She pecks my hand if I stop as if she were saying "I'm not done with you yet!" She loves it when I pet her feathers on her neck backwards. I could never do that with Nicky or he'll yell at me.

Since you have a Sun Conure & a Senegal, may I inquire as to the difference in temperment and personality? I'm pretty sure that the Senegal is more Jekyl & Hydish than the Sun is and I would think the Sun is more of a noisy bird than the Senegal. But I haven't owned a Conure so I have nothing to compare them to.

Thanks,
Mike

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Since you have a Sun Conure & a Senegal, may I inquire as to the difference in temperment and personality? I'm pretty sure that the Senegal is more Jekyl & Hydish than the Sun is and I would think the Sun is more of a noisy bird than the Senegal. But I haven't owned a Conure so I have nothing to compare them to.

Thanks,
Mike

They have completely different personalities. Nicky can be very noisy and Gracie is the quite one. Nicky is a very rambunctious little guy and cannot sit still while I can leave Gracie somewhere for 5 minutes and she will still be in the same place. Gracie doesn't really like to cuddle although she does like to hang out in my hoodie pocket sometimes but sun conures are known to be cuddly and Nicky will even go down my shirt to snuggle. Gracie is much more territorial of her cage. I have to be quick while changing the papers on the bottom of her cage or she'll drop a foot toy on my head! Gracie has her "mood swings" as I call them but when she is in sweet happy birdy mode she will let me pet her anywhere. I even taught her to let me pick her up and lay her on her back in my hand. She'll make the cutest noises like "weeee!" Nicky usually doesn't like his tail or wings touched. Nicky is much more playful and I can tickle his feet. If I try that to Gracie she will growl at me. As I mentioned before, I have to move real slow with her. If I put my hand near her too fast she will growl and try to bite. They are so different but I love them both the way they are!

Most Reactions