My lovely Sun conure <3

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself to you all as I am the very proud owner of a Sun Conure. She is 14weeks old and I will have had her for a fortnight this coming Sunday.

I have always wanted a sunny since falling in love about 5yrs ago but was never in the position to have one. My husband and I got married, bought a business and then started to fill the building with love! We have 2 gentle border collies who currently run away from my bird(big softies) - who's name is Calypso. A cat that adores her and transpires must purr at her in the night as Calypso purred at me very loudly and clearly for the first time yesterday! We also have a house rabbit who is old but welcoming in her quiet way!

Calypso spends all day with us in the shop so she steps up, knows no bite, no shout, comes when she's called, plays "hide and seek" lol and is desperately trying to say: Hello and Thankyou!!! (She listens to customers haha). She is unfazed by hands, vaccumns, sudden movements, animals and children. I am so proud of her as she came from an aviary and was not used to anything like this or interaction.

I do have a question for all of you experienced parroters though.

Because she's just a baby, she uses her beak to climb more than hopping. I want to have her out of the cage every evening ideally but when she is, she flies around landing on curtain rails etc because she can't climb down the walls onto her cage or us etc. She simply flies around until she's so tired she flutters to the ground until someone picks her up and drops her home lol. I know she won't do this forever but is there any way I can help her? I've tried talking to her all the while and she'll look at me and step up, but then she decides it's more fun to walk around the dado rail haha! I get the impression she knows where home is but just doesn't know how to get there!

Should I just leave her to discover what her wings can do?

Many apologies for the babbling but as you can probably tell, I'm very in love lol.

Von
xx:rainbow1:

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I forgot to add....hilarious quirk of hers....she won't take food from your hand - she actually runs up to your hand then the food bowl and waits! The face is very "In the bowl then, I haven't all day!" Too cute as it's certainly not fear preventing her from taking treats haha!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Welcome to our fantastic forum. We have many very friendly and bird savy people here. SC are so so cute. We usually suggest after Calypso settles in for a few weeks to take her to an avain vet for a baseline wellness check. If you want to at that time you can have grooming done. Wing clips and nail clips.
If you do not want her wings clipped you may just have to put up with the flying around as she excercises her wings. A parrot stand may be nice or one of those hanging gyms or climbing net that she can land on while exercising. Hopefully you have made your environment safe for a flying bird. Cover windows/mirrors and watch out when someone opens a door to the outside.

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Yes I will take her to be checked when she is settled fully but by all accounts she is flourishing brilliantly which is a relief! I will be buying her a stand etc when she figures out how to go a bit lower lol and of course everything is set up safely for her. I'd never take risks with this one!!! I'm umming and ahhing currently over her having her wings clipped. Some seem to disagree, others seem to think that they get into enough trouble clipped without risking not and others say their sunny gets "above their station" if clipped!

I decided just to take it as it comes. If she is ok without clipping, why do it to her? It seems to be well documented that she will change in personality rather a few times over the coming years so we shall see!

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Sorry....I just re-read your post Spirit Bird....a climbing net! That sounds FAN-tastic!

I must investigate further - thankyou so much!

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
It just goes to show, I know my girl is mischevious but even so.....

So, she was only flying around the living room and clambering round the dado rails since we've had her 2 weeks ago. I wrote this thread yesterday with her sitting behind me in her cage.

Last night I open the cage as usual. Straight to the dado rail. Then continous dive bombing of me haha! Then landed on her cage, and the lamp and divebombed me some more (I'm waiting for her to make the first move on this one haha!) and when she got tired? SHE WENT HOME OF HER OWN ACCORD!!!! I am delighted for her - she had a whale of a time. Especially with our chandelier type table lamp - lucky I didn't switch it on beforehand as I'd NEVER have anticipated that!

I honestly do not see how much more in love with this bird I could be - she's too cute and I'm sorry to bore you all with it haha!

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Congrats on your Sunny... Sounds like you have a very good spirited Fid...

I was a the pet store yesterday and they had a Sunny... he/she came right up to the glass and lifted his foot as to say hi... If I had stayed there any longer I would have been real tempted.

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh how your heart must have melted Cowtown! If only we all had endless money means, 20 arms and be able to be in 16 places at once!

A few people have asked if Cal is for sale. I may have only had her a fortnight but I'd never! Never fails to astound me when they're seen as objects rather than a part of the family.

I'd have my own Zoo I swear!

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Chi chi loves high places such as curtin rods, the top of book shelves but he will always come when i put my finger up. About the wing clipping, i had chi chis done and for some reason he still flys, i watched them do it and they did it right idonno but i wouldn't do it again, i bought a flight suit and the leash that gose around your neck and it also stops him from pooping everywhere on me.

OP
V

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
awww excellent!

Strangely enough, now Cal knows how to get home, she goes there to poop which is GREAT! I hope it lasts!

She will step up and bob around with you but she's still not 100% sure bless her. I'll continue to let her dive bomb me lol. She was scuffing my head and neck last night, so.....

These leashes....how do they work exactly? They aren't well known in the UK so I'm unsure of the benefits etc? How does it benefit you and Chi chi?

SO great having other people with fresh ideas to talk to! =]

Most Reactions

Latest posts