My Macaw is in surgery, I need advice

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Doc prescribed a short course of Haldol (Haloperidol) and it allowed us to handle her with ease. She was also very relaxed and almost in a hypnotic trance-like state.

I would have never thought a vet could prescribe haldol to a parrot. That's a pretty powerful anti-psychotic. I would never have guessed even in a very low dose it would be safe for avians. Guess you learn something new every day!

This was about 15 year or so ago. She struggled mightily against her oral meds, so the doc suggest this as alternative. Dosage was small and it permitted a less stressful recovery. Haldol is a really old drug that has many human side effects, but is apparently well tolerated by avians. Can't recall whether we needed to fill the prescrip at a pharmacy. I'd imagine newer drugs are available, but haven't had the opportunity to verify!!!

OP
D

deque

Aug 7, 2014
Miami, Florida
Parrots
Bala- B&G, Capri- Greenwing, Cata- Catalina, Ruby- Military, Abbey- B&G
Update:

Cata is in for her third surgery.

Pretty devastating news. She has no sensation in remaining back toe or partial front toe, and part of her hock has started to atrophy.

He'll have to be more agressive but praying he can save a small part of the hock for balance.

I reeeeeealy expected good news today. Just heartbreaking.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh sorry the news was not better, but it is not the worst, right? Praying for her, and you.

OP
D

deque

Aug 7, 2014
Miami, Florida
Parrots
Bala- B&G, Capri- Greenwing, Cata- Catalina, Ruby- Military, Abbey- B&G
Cata update:

She is doing awesome!

It's been a month, wraps are off, cone is gone, saved just enough of her foot that she can balance.

She really is inspirational. She examines her foot, holding it up to look, than off she goes. Her appetite has returned, singing , talking, screaming...as rambunctious as ever!

Thanks to everyone for the support

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
That is excellent news. We were hoping to hear something good.
We hope and pray that she continues to do well. I'm sure she is very glad that you were by her side all this time.
Please give her a good head scratch for us :)

Thanks
Kelly and Karl

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Great news!!! I'm so happy to hear Cata is doing so well! Thank you for updating us and putting our collective hearts at ease.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Such good news and to hear she is as boisterous as ever is really great.

Good also that you can relax now.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts