OP
CPT4Wheel

CPT4Wheel

Mar 22, 2017
Media
North Georgia
Parrots
Cockatiel named Ziggy
I talked to a reputable reader tonight, that is also local (a big plus), and was told that I shouldn't start with a GW as my first Macaw. Should I be looking at a different Macaw? I chose the GW for several reasons, including temperament as well as looks, but is there a better choice? On a side note, the reader has a very long waiting list for his GWs.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Did the breeder give you a reason?

Our first and only bird is a GW. We met when she was 2 months old and fell in love. It has worked out for us. So even if you don't have large macaw experience, it can work. As long as you do your research and give lots of time and love. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Not sure why the breeder tried to discourage you from a Greenwing, as far as I know they would be one of the easier macaws to handle as a first-time macaw, though the Blue & Gold could also be equally handleable and easygoing as well. These two generally are the calmer, goofier dispositions. Scarlet and Military would be on the other side of the spectrum here, being more feisty/high strung.

OP
CPT4Wheel

CPT4Wheel

Mar 22, 2017
Media
North Georgia
Parrots
Cockatiel named Ziggy
Update!!

I got an email from a reader that I was talking to before Avian Adventures, and was told that a bird that previously had a deposit was now available. I contacted Avian Adventures and was told that they didn't have eggs and had no idea if or when they would. That with the additional thought that I was 3rd in line has lead me to decide to go with the reader I was in contact with first. The great thing about this is that I will have a bird in just about 2 months instead of 7 months to a year or longer.

The baby will be DNA tested next week and if he/she is weaned by the 3-4 of June I will be able to pick it up while I'm in Florida (it will be about 23 weeks old). If it is not weaned I ill have it shipped to us in Atlanta. The broader has stressed to me that he will not let the bird go until it is fully weaned, to which I replied "exactly what I wanted to hear".

So without further ado, here's the baby... Last 2 pics were from yesterday.

gw5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
How exciting!!!I love baby macaws! :D And he/she is a beauty. Can't wait to see if it's a girl or boy!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My Maggie was an Avian Adventures bird...

Greenwings are amazing birds. Good choice! With a greenwing, it's all about the socialization... They're big loving goofballs.

Bite pressure training is the first thing you want to do. Lots of play time and socialization around strangers... do that, you have a lifetime companion bird.

Last edited:

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
Very cute! Get ready for the adventure of your life! Macaws are funny, engaging, bratty at times, and masters at figuring out how to take down toys, dumping bowls and even jail breaking their cages!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Very cute! Get ready for the adventure of your life! Macaws are funny, engaging, bratty at times, and masters at figuring out how to take down toys, dumping bowls and even jail breaking their cages!

Ruby takes hers apart...

I just bought a new one that she can't do that with. Changed the nuts on the other bird cages to lock nuts. Fixed her little wagon!

Most Reactions

Latest posts