My Maroon-bellied Conure Head Shaking

annsconure

Apr 9, 2014
My conure, about 20 years old, has been doing this head shaking for a few years. It is not only when he eats or drinks, but all the time. For a few years now, he has turned from a friendly to aggressive bird. I read somewhere that he needs more calcium--do you agree? If so, in what form? Is it also true that unless he gets direct sunlight (not even through glass) that the calcium will not be absorbed? Please help me, this is an older bird and I still love him and want to see how I can best make him comfortable. Thank you so much, Ann

PS--no vet seems to be able to assist

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Hello and welcome to the forum!
What is his name? and his current diet? :)
There are calcium powders that you can sprinkle on his food, or if you're looking for food that is good for calcium, dried crushed egg shells are good too. (I.E if you boil eggs, save a little bit for him and also crush up the shells.)
I've never heard the head shaking = calcium deficient, but I haven't looked into it either, so maybe there's some truth to it.
Hope you find the help you're looking for! :)

Edit: P.S I know with lizards unless they have UVB lighting available they won't absorb certain nutrients, calcium included. I'm not sure birds are the same way, as I've heard that they require no "special" lighting, though some people say it makes a difference it's really just a personal preference. If you're worried about it you can try taking him outside in a travel-size cage(if he isn't harness trained) for a little while every day, on top of the natural sunlight I'm sure he would enjoy just sitting outside with you. :)

OP
A

annsconure

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks! Sorry for late reply. I ordered, and am giving, calcium supplement in his water. Waiting a while to reassess.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
As a side note, your windows actually block about 98% of the UV rays that your bird would need to use it for aiding in vitamin synthesis, so you're right in saying that they won't have benefits having sunlight through glass.

Ashley has some awesome ideas. I like to take Avery for car rides when it's too cold but still sunny, because vehicle side windows don't actually block UVA/UVB rays. That way a quick little 15 minute car ride here and there help Avery get her sunlight and I get to enjoy watching her be fascinated with the world! She's not fully harness trained yet, so it's difficult getting her direct sunlight as she's also flighted.

I would also suggest trying to give the calcium just through their diet because it's the best way for them to absorb it. Broccoli, green beens, water cress, and almonds are all very high in calcium and make great foods for veggie mashes! Almonds are the treats I use for Avery, too, because in my mind they're much better than lots of sunflower seeds. Those are the extra special treats! [emoji1] If not, hopefully the supplement works and you see improvement. Your conure has a fine age on him, and I think that's great! I hope for many more to come :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts