My new baby

OP
S

SpiderPig_za

May 16, 2016
South Africa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus
Some more pics I took of her yesterday. She is already starting to mimic sounds and says a few words, not clear yet. IMG_1885.jpgIMG_1892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nice to hear from yoou again. She is looking really well and all filled out now. If she is starting to talk, that means she is ready to start learning tricks and they are a great way to maintain your bond with her. Once they start to talk, they are like a 2-3 year old kid and are sponges for all sorts of knowledge. My own theory but seems to bear out in most cases. Also, its so great that we have members from all over the world - South Africa, Malawi, Bulgaria, the UK, the US - all united by these amazing animals. Try to post more often, we love to head stories of parrot development !

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
She's a little beauty! One tip I got from Anansi that really works for me is for those nutritious veggies my fids won't eat, I put them in a little blender, chop the veggies into tiny pieces then mix with brown rice. It sticks to the rice and they end up eating it. So when she's ready for veggies, there is a great tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I can only add to the discussion of waste. When I got my fids I put fresh food out every day. For well over 6 months I threw it all away after a few hours. Then they started picking at it for several more months and I was still tossing well over half of it out. Finally they started actually eating.

There will possibly always be some waste.

All of my parrots waste food, but I still provide items they don't like. It can take years or decades before they will become curious, taste a bite, and add it to their repertoire!

In addition to the previously mentioned foods, my Ekkie loves yams, sweet potatoes, oat meal, pomegranate/melon seeds, lima/black/kidney beans, edamame, green peas, and whole-wheat spiral noodles. (last 3 items given sparingly)

Most Reactions