My New Bird-A Catalina Macaw

erinleacarrigan

Aug 18, 2013
I recently acquired a 3 year old Catalina Macaw who needed a new home. I have had birds all of my life (I had a Quaker pass away a few years ago that I had for over 20 years), but nothing as big as a Macaw. I know that these birds are an enormous LIFETIME responsibility, but I have ALWAYS wanted a Macaw, so this was a dream come true for me.

I am very enamored with this bird and I wondered if anyone had any advice on getting her comfortable in her new home. Her previous owner's could pick her up, play with her, snuggle with her, etc... They even had a toddler who could walk up and feed/pet her. While I have only had her for a few weeks and I know that my patience is important, I look forward to handling and spending time with her myself. She does not bite me hard, but is resistant to get on my arm, even though she knows the command "step up." She takes food from my hand and is generally an awesome bird, but I wondered if anyone has any tips regarding her care and getting her comfortable in her new home.:blue:

OP
E

erinleacarrigan

Aug 18, 2013
I wanted to add that I give her a lot of attention, talk to her often, and sit and hand feed her treats (mostly her favorite fruits, like grapes and banannas) every day. I know that I have to be committed and patient. I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice for me.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It takes time and patience, over time you'll build up trust! Have you tried using a perch to see if she would step up to a perch? Once you get her to step up for you once, it would go a lot smoother. Otherwise, you can wait on her terms if she would step up for you over time.

OP
E

erinleacarrigan

Aug 18, 2013
"Autumn" has a HUGE 7 foot cage that I leave the door open on during the day. We live in a rural area by a state park in Florida and the front porch is secured/reinforced. There are also two big ficus trees on the porch with her. She has a perch on the door to her cage. When I sit and talk to her and give her treats, she comes and stands on the perch and lets me give her treats.

I was really excited tonight because she let me pet her on the head!:D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
See, your making progress already!!! I love my macaws, I couldn't ask for better birds!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts