My parakeet is miserable

bawkbawk

Oct 30, 2010
We only have one bird, in a cage about 60cm long and 60cm tall.

He has nothing to play with, just a water bowl and another for seeds, with two platforms to stand on.

We got the bird quite a while ago (with his buddy but she died almost a year ago), he's never been out of the cage for almost 2 years. I was only 16 when we got them and all I did was find their chirping annoying.

The only reason we had them was because a family friend became allergic to the feathers or something...

Now, he barely tweets loudly. Recently, I've seen him attempt to open the doors of the cage with his beak. When I opened it up for him he was scared to come out. Once I left it open for half an hour, and he was still scared. I closed the door, and he continued to try it himself. Still does.

I told my mum that this is pure cruelty to keep him, but for some irrational reason she doesn't want to give him away (even though I'm certain she knows the bird feels terrible). She put a tiny mirror in the cage which he is now obsessed with. Just stares at his reflection all day... pokes at it sometimes

What can I do to get my mum to give him up? I think he's quite old and I want him to at least enjoy the rest of his life. Birds are supposed to fly, right? He hasn't used his wings in 2 years.

Btw, my family don't have a lot of time or money, so being able to let the bird out of the cage and getting a friend for him really isn't an option :[

Last edited:

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Okay. First thing you need to do is find him a bigger cage. Not that it isn't too small, just he will be able to use his wings in a bigger one. Remove the mirror, they aren't really good for them ( that is my opinion ), most have toxic qualities ( the metal bits ) and it is not good for being active as the bird sits in the same place hour after hour. You need to invest in some toys and natural branches. You also need to change his diet, as his current one is absolutely no good for his health. Just a seed diet is shortening his life considerably and just adding to any future health issues. He needs to have a varied diet of fruits, veggies and cereals, as well as a good mix of seed. Some foraging activities to keep him active include the following:
Newspaper balls with seed inside hung up
Some green veggies also hung up
Some veggies in those cardboard roll things hung up

Budgies/parakeets ( the correct name is budgerigar, budgie for short. Parakeet refers to any long tailed parrot ) are not 'cheap' pets as many are lead to believe. They are NOT good pets for beginners, many are mistreated as they are sold for young kids 7- without a thought.

OP
B

bawkbawk

Oct 30, 2010
Okay. First thing you need to do is find him a bigger cage. Not that it isn't too small, just he will be able to use his wings in a bigger one. Remove the mirror, they aren't really good for them ( that is my opinion ), most have toxic qualities ( the metal bits ) and it is not good for being active as the bird sits in the same place hour after hour. You need to invest in some toys and natural branches. You also need to change his diet, as his current one is absolutely no good for his health. Just a seed diet is shortening his life considerably and just adding to any future health issues. He needs to have a varied diet of fruits, veggies and cereals, as well as a good mix of seed. Some foraging activities to keep him active include the following:
Newspaper balls with seed inside hung up
Some green veggies also hung up
Some veggies in those cardboard roll things hung up

Budgies/parakeets ( the correct name is budgerigar, budgie for short. Parakeet refers to any long tailed parrot ) are not 'cheap' pets as many are lead to believe. They are NOT good pets for beginners, many are mistreated as they are sold for young kids 7- without a thought.

Thank you, I'll do as much of those things that I can tomorrow. Getting a new cage and toys will take time but if there's no other way I'll do all I can

Would you recommend getting another bird?

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
No. You would have to quarantine and that would cost you another cage. :) Quarantining is keeping them separate for 30+ days to ensure no diseases are spread. It is a must do thing and has often saved lives. Not quarantining could mean you lose both birds and/or have to pay more money on medications.
Make sure you change his diet slowly and that it will take time for him to except new foods.
Maybe you could take part of the money you earn and keep it aside for him? Good luck! :)

OP
B

bawkbawk

Oct 30, 2010
No. You would have to quarantine and that would cost you another cage. :) Quarantining is keeping them separate for 30+ days to ensure no diseases are spread. It is a must do thing and has often saved lives. Not quarantining could mean you lose both birds and/or have to pay more money on medications.
Make sure you change his diet slowly and that it will take time for him to except new foods.
Maybe you could take part of the money you earn and keep it aside for him? Good luck! :)

Thanks again :) I'm still in sixth form but I should be getting a part time job soon, so I will spend some money for him and feed him some fruits and veg gradually, you've been very helpful :) i'm v. grateful

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Your budgie already has a friend ...a. very special one who could make a huge difference. You. You obviously care and are worried. Like you and Ratzy, I am also a fond caregiver to parakeets and when the cage companion of 15 years died and left my bird Merry very ...dangerously ...lonely, like you I considered getting another bird. Did get one in a sort of rehome but that is another story. But Merry wanted something else. He wanted back into our family life. He sacrificed flying as I trimmed him to keep him safe ...but then he was able to climb onto our shoulders and nibble our food and chirp in our ears and tease our larger birds. It will be harder for you ...as yours has not been hand tamed, but Ratzy and I could talk you through the clipping and the training if you would like to try.

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
I think you're doing the right first step in thinking of what's beneficial to the bird. It's great that it finally has a champion (you). ;)

I'd invest in toys right off the bat. There are a great many to choose from: preening toys (usually frayed rope or thin strands of natural material), shredding toys (they're easily ripped apart by the bird but made to be that way), chewing toys (generally wood or leather based) and so much more. Make sure to also get perches of various diameters - my conure LOVES her rope perches but I also have a few natural wood perches in addition to the dowels that came with the cage. Varying the diameter of the perch helps exercise the foot and help prevent arthritis and other foot maladies.

You don't have to go super fancy with the cage but get as large as you (or your family) can afford. Keep bar spacing in mind - don't want your bird getting it's head or neck stuck between the bars or in a spring-loaded trap door. Square cages are better than round as corners provide security. I prefer floors with grates over them as it makes cleaning easier for me and keeps them out of their waste, but YMMV.

I'd also check the library or bookstore for "Parrots For Dummies", a fantastic resource for newbies and experienced bird owners alike.

Just remember: the change is probably going to freak the bird out for a while. Heck, just getting her into the new cage is going to be traumatic for all involved, but worth it in the end. Birds don't do well with abrupt changes, even if it's for the better.

As for the food, try adding pellets or dried veggies/fruits to her normal seed. Chances are they'll be ignored or tossed aside - they've no idea it's food and likely aren't interested in experimenting, but keep at it.

Seriously, good luck. That bird is so lucky to have you now, and no matter the past it deserves a happy rest of it's life. You may never have as personal a bond as many here share with their companions but that doesn't mean you can't talk to it, hang out near it, or let it know it has a friend. Likely it'll be scared of such closeness for a month, two months, maybe forever, but it deserves to know it has someone who cares about it.

Please keep us updated on the progress, I'm really curious how it all ultimately turns out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts