my parrot keeps pooping in his water bowl!

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
you could always buy a water dish/bowl that comes with a cover/hood so that even if he tries to poop in it or he's sitting overtop of it, etc., it's impossible for him to poop in the water...I have 4 of these inside of my indoor aviary that my 8 Budgies live in, because they also tend to poop in their water as well, plus they are notorious for spitting seeds/shells and pellet-bits all over the place. So I ordered these stainless-steel water and food dishes that are square-shaped instead of round, and they have a hood that snaps into the bottom of the dish. They're great.
Good advice, Ellen; as usual. Do you happen to have a link to these covered dishes?

Just want to let you know, lettie, that people are giving you good advice. People like Ellen have years of experience with birds, and are great advocates for their care. I just started on this board not long ago, like you, and you can really tell who knows their stuff, from people who just think they know what's best, but really don't. A lot of well-meaning people bring on some misguided notions of what a bird needs, etc. I can count myself as one of them. But ultimately, if their idea is unsound, the people on here are a great sounding board, for them. And that is why this board is such a rich education in bird welfare.

Good luck with your bird :) I had water dish poopers, too. There's a psuedo-myth about Bourke's parrots never bathing. I sort of believed it, at first, because my birds ignored the baths I set up for them. Not too long after that, I observed them putting their butts in their water dish. They are 'shy' bathers, lol So modest! So now I will set up a bath from time to time on the ground, and they will do their thing (as long as I dont watch them).

Last edited:

Most Reactions