My Problem Child Update!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Sooo Folger as requested! He is still a little freak of nature but he did sit with me tonight for the first time in a very long time. He didn't sit with me for very long maybe five minutes before freaking and flying off. He still puts his head down and presses his cheek to mine while clicking at me when I have him on my shoulder. I'm thinking of having him out a little more often...we will see if that does more damage than not. He is a hard one to balance thats for sure!

He stopped plucking when I came home after my trip so that was good news. I'm debating right now between keeping him in collars or trying a suit for him. I think the suit would give him more freedom of movement but not sure he'd like something so much more tight on him. I'm also working on getting his nails back down. They got way too long since I would put it off so he wouldn't have too much stress at one time. They are down a good deal again but still have a little more to go before they are a good length...at least they don't make me wince anymore when he is on my arm.

I have plans to get him one of those backpacks to take him outside when I have Kelly on a harness. Folger freaks too much anymore to do a harness right now. A regular cage is also a little too open for him since he has no where to hide but the backpacks have the flaps to make it more confined and shaded.

The real problem with Folger is balancing between progress and stressing/freaking him out too much which sets you back. Jeanne said he is the only bird she met where the more you stare at him the twitchier he gets:rolleyes: He is actually a little better about that not quite as twitchy.

He is one of my hold outs for fresh foods right now...apparently we are going to argue about that for a little while longer! He also still rejects and throws the things mother hands him...so he is till an angry little bird about people! He has also done his Hi Folgie to try and lure victims in recently...not sure that one is ever going to go away.

Flying away while I was trying to take a picture.

My stepfather started moving so that is why Folger looks like he is about to murder someone.

Pre-bath

Wrapped up after his bath while laying on my chest.

Preening his ruffled wet feathers

Frozen after he realized people were watching him preen...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Victoria, thanks for the Folger fix, I love that little guy!

You know I think you are amazing for giving Folger an incredible home and loving him for who he is.

LMBO at the second photo! I see Folger is still stalking your poor stepdad with murderous intent.

It must be like walking a tightrope with Folger, you have to weigh every positive thing you do for him with how much stress it's likely to cause. Poor little fellow, I wish he could relax enough to enjoy the good life he has now.

I hope the suit and backpack work for him!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Yay! It's so good to see Folger again!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
He looks so sweet wrapped in the towel!

Hahahaha a trick I tell you:p He really is sweet with me at least. We had family over and my aunt said while he seems happy enough he just has a very sad feel to him in person.

Victoria, thanks for the Folger fix, I love that little guy!

You know I think you are amazing for giving Folger an incredible home and loving him for who he is.

LMBO at the second photo! I see Folger is still stalking your poor stepdad with murderous intent.

It must be like walking a tightrope with Folger, you have to weigh every positive thing you do for him with how much stress it's likely to cause. Poor little fellow, I wish he could relax enough to enjoy the good life he has now.

I hope the suit and backpack work for him!

I have some bird toys and reptile food to order and then I was going to get that backpack! Jeanne will probably just give me a suit next time I'm over if she has his size :) It really is and is quite frustrating but I've only had him about a year and around 4 months which is hard to remember sometimes since he seems to have been around forever now.

I think I'll drag him out again (he is still comes to me when I call so its not actually dragging!) tonight and see how he does again. I try not to take him out so often because it seems to freak him out more than help but something has to change again:20:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Looks like Folger has settled in nicely! Very expressive face, as typical for the Bare Eye and cousin Goffins.

Most Reactions