Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Male Cockatiel Pied Cinnamon
Female Cockatiel
Did you make the sweaters? Did it help with plucking? I adopted a 10 year old Female Ekkie plucker. I bathe her daily, give her a healthy diet (as healthy as she will take), keep her super busy all day - she's still a-plucking. I should have named her "chicken little" b/c she looks like a plucked chicken and she is afraid of everything. She has been through A-LOT. She had cancer and she had to have her tail removed, so she has trouble balancing (which may contribute to her frightfulness). Beyond that, I was told very little about her.

She has completely plucked her elbows, under her wings. She has down all over with patches of skin. She has quite a few yellow feathers on the back of her neck and on the shoulders of her wings so I am pretty sure those are damaged follicles. ):

But I still love her a lot. I got her to stop biting me. I've decked her cage out with tons of perches, boing, lots of chewing items, foraging, etc., but she is a perch potato. I do take her out alot though. I even have a perch for her in my truck. I have a tree I made for her that has a second boing, a swing and an atom. I always put her on the very bottom branch (I screwed on a whole bunch of branches) so she has to climb up and get some exercise.

I'm hoping she will get better...

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Female Cockatiel
Thanks, I made some out of soccer socks in my ekkies color (red) -they are tube socks without a heal. I tied on knit fabrics scraps in red - she preening them! She hates the sweater, but for once I feel like I am in control of the situation. It's pretty easy to get on but hard to get off.

I am so excited about the chance she will become feathered again! She is so sweet to me most of the time. I fall more and more in love with her every day! ~Page

OP
DustyBZoo

DustyBZoo

Feb 6, 2010
I leave Hank's sweater on all the time. He can only grow down on his chest and back anyways. When I take his sweater off to change it out, he starts plucking out down feathers.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Amazing.

So glad to see this lil guy looking so happy!

Well done, you've done a wonderful thing in taking him and your other birds in.

Spoilt rotten the lot of them, gorgeous to see!

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
The socks are a good idea. I read an article about someone who used a cloth diaper for their macaw when if first started plucking its chest. A few months later she removed it permanently and the bird hasn't plucked for years. Assuming diet is good, etc., the sock/diaper idea is good for smaller birds to break the habit.

Once birds start plucking, the reason that they continue to pluck may change. That is, diet or stress might start the process, but even once those variables are controlled, habit may have taken hold, which becomes the reason for the plucking. At any rate, I think you have a fantastic idea with the sock. Perhaps one day he one have the urge if you decide to remove the sock.

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Female Cockatiel
I put the sock on my F ekkie for a couple of days (I usually bathe her daily). I tied some strings on it. She preened the strings but still plucked from her wings, under her wings and her legs. It's incredibly disappointing, but I am going to continue with the sock and just try to get her body feathered for now.

She has the same behavior as Hank and plucks the down when I take the sock off, but today I took her right back to her bath when she started plucking (she doesn't like baths) and she didn't try to pluck again after that, but I think I will still put the sock on her for overnight.

OP
DustyBZoo

DustyBZoo

Feb 6, 2010
Sometimes you just have to love them for who they are. Hank was known as the bald bird for a long time. I'm just glad to see his energy level up, his appetite good, and becoming playful for the first time in a long time.

Thanks again everyone for taking interest in Hank. Having birds is really hard to explain to folks who don't have any. He's done a lot for me as well. I used to look forward to the bar, or going to parties, but now I'm happy when my pets are happy. BTW I have 20 or so pets ranging from parrots, to reptiles, to bugs, to dogs..... I also enjoy studying UVB and it's benefits to pets. So feel free to ask about that as well!

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Female Cockatiel
I just adopted an ekkie rescue pair. One is plucking his neck. The other is shredding her feathers. I am curious, what kind of diet did you put your ekkie boy on to curb the plucking?

OP
DustyBZoo

DustyBZoo

Feb 6, 2010
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Fresh foods and keep it varied. There isn't much he won't eat. I keep frozen fruits and veggies around at all times. I give him millet for his seed. scrambled eggs also.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
hey dusty whats UVB?? i was going to get a giant thorny stick insect, but didnt after being offered my nut (her name was angel, but she is no angel!!) lol but i think nut suits her more, as you can see she is a bit of a feather plucker and chewer :( but slowly i think she is gettin outta it??

so for everyone thats taken time to help these birds i am in awww off, its a challenging long term comitment to take on!

OP
DustyBZoo

DustyBZoo

Feb 6, 2010
UVB is ultra violet B, it's a type of light or radiation that is not visible to us. reptiles and birds can, however see this light. For reptiles it's a way for their bodies to produce vit. D.
For birds who can see UVB rays not providing UVB is like a person who is color blind and cannot see green or red.
Most birds seem to do fine without it, however it could be beneficial for a bird who is having emotional problems or destructive behavior.

p.s. Windows and Glass will block UVB.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
UVB is ultra violet B, it's a type of light or radiation that is not visible to us. reptiles and birds can, however see this light. For reptiles it's a way for their bodies to produce vit. D.
For birds who can see UVB rays not providing UVB is like a person who is color blind and cannot see green or red.
Most birds seem to do fine without it, however it could be beneficial for a bird who is having emotional problems or destructive behavior.

There are two types of rays UVA and UVB. You've got it a bit mixed up, very easy to do, so I'll make a thread that explains it. ;)

OP
DustyBZoo

DustyBZoo

Feb 6, 2010

There are two types of rays UVA and UVB. You've got it a bit mixed up, very easy to do, so I'll make a thread that explains it. ;)

Actually to be technically correct there are 3 types: UVA, UVB, and UVC. I didn't want to spew a bunch of technical jargon about specific wavelengths and what they do or how they act. Instead I just hit on some generic info pertaining to pets. Since I have and use UVB and UV Index meters, I'm quite aware of the amounts of UV in common situations.

Also I don't see what I've said that's incorrect. It's possible I'm sure. But....: UVB is not visible to people. However birds and some reptiles do have a 4th cone receptor in there eyes, they do 'see' UVB.

UVB does aid in Vit. D3 production in human and some reptiles

The comparison of birds without uvb and humans, is spectulative and can not be proven.

I know it can help birds, however it's not a cure all.

As far as glass, I've tested it. UVB at useful levels 280-320nm, maybe 10uW/cm2 actually get through, outside 320-450uW/cm2.:54:

IMO diet and lots of interaction pays off much better.

Last edited:
OP
DustyBZoo

DustyBZoo

Feb 6, 2010
How is Hank doing?

Hank is Fantastic! He is such a little character. He reminds me of a little child. He will walk to me and tug on my pants when he wants something. My dogs respect him, and my other birds love him, what a great rescue!

Most Reactions