My second new cockatiel need advise.

tungtruong4

Jan 19, 2014
So, yesterday I decided to get a second cockatiel and a second cage for my new cockatiel. However, he seems like shaking his body and the hair at the mouth is fluffed up, I do have a heat lamp on the top of the cage. He also a little bit scare which is normal for a new cockatiel, but do you guys have any idea why he is shaking and the hair near his mouth is fluffed up?
http://s39.photobucket.com/user/tungtruong4/media/IMG_0702_zpsa2f648b9.jpg.html?filters[user]=139002573&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
Please answer me!

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I can't see your photo, but fluffed up and shaking can be a bad sign. I would get the bird to an avian vet ASAP.

Is he always like this? Mine get very fluffy when they're napping or relaxed, but it's not a constant thing.

OP
T

tungtruong4

Jan 19, 2014
Sorry for the pics error. I have a video here. He's calm down a bit now, but on my observation every time I come close to his cage he seems like panic. However, when I'm leave and go away he seems calm and not shaking anymore. This is strange to me :|
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0bATlGWpc&feature=youtu.be]IMG 0705 - YouTube[/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's not strange, he's afraid that's all....gotta give him time to get adjusted to his new surroundings and you! Is he tame??? If he is take him out to socialize with him as that would help with the issue.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
birds shake for different reasons, but I think in this instance he's nervous/scared.
when they ruffle their feathers it's one way of relieving stress, once he starts relaxing he'll start doing that too, maybe tomorrow.

he looks good in the video, it will take time for him to relax, and to get use to his surroundings;weeks, sometimes a month. He's very handsome, congratulations!

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Yep, he's terrified. In this case, the puffed cheek feathers is the equivalent of humans pressing their lips together in a tight line. With birds like this I like sit down near the cage (monitor the bird's body language to determine where he feels safe having you near) and read in a calm, soothing voice. The bird will feel more confident if he's perched higher than your head. I play the peek-a-boo game, and blink a lot if I gaze directly at such a frightened bird. Keep the animals and kids away from the cage for now. Hopefully he is in quarantine just in case he is sick. If he does start sneezing or having loose stools a vet visit is highly recommended.

Give him/her a few days, and watch the body language. When he calms down you can start training. These terrified cockatiels can tame down if you are gentle and patient.

Good luck!

OP
T

tungtruong4

Jan 19, 2014
Thanks a lot for all the replied you guys gave. He's not a tame bird, so I might leave him in the cage for 2 weeks before I try to tame him. His cage is place just right beside my desktop, so I always have to time to talk with him whenever I'm doing work on the computer :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts