My soon-to-be baby Hahns

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
PB: Green Cheek Conure (hatched 2009);
Master Beaker: B&G macaw (hatched Aug. 2014)
So I am a very, very lucky person. I happened to find a wonderful woman who breeds macaws and only lives about 2 hours from me. I spoke with her a couple months ago but was not quite ready to bring another bird into our home. I asked her to let me know when her Hahns' parents had another clutch and she did. I got to meet the little tyke just a day after it hatched! Meet my soon-to-be baby, Fozzie. (Fozzi with just an "i" if it's a girl. If Thor can change gender so can Fozzie bear/macaw. :09: I have dreams of hearing a little macaw say, "Waka, waka, waka!")

Here is a picture from the day he hatched. (Note: All of the pictures are from the breeder. She is so sweet.)
dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12685-fozzie-hatch-day.jpg

Here is a picture when he was 4 days old:
dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12686-fozzie-4-days-old.jpg

I'm so very excited I don't know how I'm ever going to manage the wait! I want to drive down every day and just sit there and stare at him. LOL. Unfortunately, I have a lot to get finished around my house before he arrives (probably in October), so what better time to catch a horrible cold right? *sniffle* At least I managed to get PBs new cage setup yesterday before succumbing to the germ invasion. I'm managing my time in bed by shopping online for home and pet stuff. My husband has no idea how much my getting sick is costing him. :D

I'll post pics as I get them. In meantime, everyone feel free to share your mini-macaw stories so I can live vicariously through you.

Oh and no worries about PB being TOO jealous. She has chosen my husband as her person. She is still friendly with me, she just prefers him. I told him from day one I thought she was more inclined to him than me. He didn't believe me, but I was right and she is working hard at wrapping him around her little...umm...toe. :rolleyes: He feels so guilty about "stealing my bird," but I actually feel bad because he didn't ask for the bird that now sits on him most of the day, telling him what to do, and how to do it. Heck, it's like he got a second nagging wife. LOL. Poor guy.

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Awwww congrats! Fozzi works just fine for either sex. There's an adorable Hahn's at our local shop. It's quite the talker.

PS..I don't feel sorry for your husband. It's awesome when a bird picks you! :)

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Congrats. I have a female Hahns named Hahnna. She is my love. I brought her home at six weeks and she was a year in June. I did a lot of reading on her prior to my decision and I think it has helped in her development. You want to socialize a lot and handle every day and get him use to havung your hands in his cage and touching bis toys etc so that he does bot become territorial. A friend has a little one the same age as Hahnna and has issies with her attacking when her hands are in her cage and touching her toys. Good luck.

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
Congrats! I would love the have a hahns someday, they are just the cutest little birds ever!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations! The other day I was reading one of your posts and I noticed on the top banner you had Fozzie listed already. I thought hm, did I miss it? Lol.

How cute, all floppy and fuzzy :). It will be so interesting to see pics of Fozzie growing! Not all of us who have gotten babies were lucky enough to get a glimpse of them at that young of an age!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
So sweet [these guys make the cutest babies] :)

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
Congrats. I have a female Hahns named Hahnna. She is my love. I brought her home at six weeks and she was a year in June. I did a lot of reading on her prior to my decision and I think it has helped in her development. You want to socialize a lot and handle every day and get him use to havung your hands in his cage and touching bis toys etc so that he does bot become territorial. A friend has a little one the same age as Hahnna and has issies with her attacking when her hands are in her cage and touching her toys. Good luck.

Hahnna the Hahns! What a cute idea for a name! :cool:

Congratulations! The other day I was reading one of your posts and I noticed on the top banner you had Fozzie listed already. I thought hm, did I miss it? Lol.

How cute, all floppy and fuzzy :). It will be so interesting to see pics of Fozzie growing! Not all of us who have gotten babies were lucky enough to get a glimpse of them at that young of an age!

Even though he's not actually here with me yet, I couldn't resist adding him. Every single day, multiple times a day, I stalk the breeder's Facebook page waiting to see if she has posted a new pic yet (I did warn her this would happen). It's been a week since that last pic and I'm dying to see how big he is now! One of the breeder's young sons was in a very serious accident though, so I need to be patient right now. She has more on her mind than taking a pic for me I'm sure. However, I am hoping I get enough pics to make a baby album to go on the shelf next to Fozzie's eggshell display. :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Precious photos! Thanks for sharing. Hard to wait but so worth it.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Congratulations on your bearded dragon. ;) I have Hahnzel. Who was a boy until last month when I actually had it checked. She is a maniac, but lots of fun. "Daddy wants to relax" are seemingly nonexistent words in her vocabulary until around 7pm when she dives under my shirt to sleep.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Aww! That is so sweet! I love that she sent you pictures :)

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
I have new pictures! Look how big he is getting!

dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12699-fozzie-8-5-14.jpg

I want to pet his butt floofs. :54:

dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12698-fozzie-8-5-14-opening-his-eyes.jpg

I think he's smiling for Mama in the last pic. Yep, he already knows I'm smiling back. :p

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
Go ahead, tell me these are not the cutest baby pictures ever! :D

dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12748-fozzie-8-11-14-1.jpg

dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12749-fozzie-8-11-14-2.jpg

dustbunny-albums-fozzie-picture12750-fozzie-8-11-14-3.jpg

It's so lovely of the breeder to send these pics.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I have picture of Hahnzel before the red came in on his wings. I was expecting a different bird and would have gotten candled egg pictures and others, but our breeder said that another of his sales had fallen through. So we got Hahnzel.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
You're very lucky! So precious :)
Many of us who got pics from a breeder only got ones when they were much older and fully feathered.

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
I am lucky! It's funny though how something that looks like it belongs in my roaster can be so adorable. ;)

OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
Adorable. I love my Hahns. Sadly. I do not have that may baby pictures of Captain Jack when he was real young.

Abigal, would you mind comparing your green cheek conure to your Hahns? How are they similar? How are they different?

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
A Hahns macaw is bigger then a green cheek conure and closer to size to other species of conures. They also talk better then a green check conure (neither conure I had ever did talk). One was great at impersonating the telephone. Captain Jack is capable of talking and makes all kinds of noises and grumbles. A Green check conure has a call or scream that has a certain pitch to it (they are known as the quieter conure). Both birds can be cuddly and affectionate but I had one green cheek conure that loved to bite anyone that was not me. Captain Jack will fly away from someone then try to bite them. Maybe a green check conure in more energetic then a Hahns macaw. Captain Jack loves to chew on wood and shred newspapers or cuddle up to me. My Hahns macaw also has a black tongue that he will taste things with.

Last edited:
OP
Dustbunny

Dustbunny

Apr 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
*Wipes sweat from my brow* I like your answers. They are in line with everything I've witnessed myself and you didn't present anything heartstopping. TY! :p

I can't actually remember the last time I heard PB give her conure call/scream. It's definitely been at least a month or two. I found as soon as she started talking, even though she only says a few different words/phrases, she will use those instead of screaming. I appreciate that very, very much. :) However, I've been wondering if that's likely to change when Fozzie comes home. Will they sort of egg each other on until my house sounds like a jungle in the morning? *shrug*

PB is very bitey when she feels jealous. She's slowly learning it's not acceptable. She's like a small dog though. Once she starts getting excited you have to head it off real quick or she just gets so wound up it's like she can't always fully control herself.

I LOVE macaw tongues. I love how so many of them want to touch everything with it. Adorable! PB does this "crazy tongue" thing occasionally where she'll wave it back and forth in a sort of sideways figure 8. She looks so hilariously demented when she does it.

Thank you again for your comparison.

Most Reactions