My Sprouts Go Bad

erlabella

Jan 15, 2018
Media
Faroe Islands
Parrots
2 Budgies, Nacho & Rocky.
So Iā€™ve recently bought an EasySprouter and I have many seeds,beans and lentils ready to sprout, but Iā€™m not sure exactly how to do it. I tried a bit just to see if it would work and it started growing mold, so I threw it away. Now Iā€™m not sure how to do it. The EasySprout instructions say the sprouts donā€™t need rinsing. I soaked the mix in water for 8 hours and sprouted them for around 36 hours, rinsing them twice a day with warm water. Does anyone here know how to use the EasySprout, and how do you use it?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I have no idea what the easysprouter is, but if your seeds came in plastic bags there is a chance they wont be able to. Seeds are living organisms that can suffocate if kept in a plastic airtight containers/ environment for too long.

Also: to sprout they need moisture (you did that right) but also enough warmth (that is why stuff starts growing in the spring and not in the winter) - I do not know what the temperature (day/night) is but sprouting is always more difficult in the cold season.

(I have to put mine on the dartfrog enclosure because the kitchen is too cold)

=
thanks for the link, now I know! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
E

erlabella

Jan 15, 2018
Media
Faroe Islands
Parrots
2 Budgies, Nacho & Rocky.
Thank you for your answers! I read the link about the EasySprout and can already tell Iā€™ve made a few mistakes. So this time itā€™ll hopefully work. The room temperature in the kitchen is around 22Ā°C so it shouldnā€™t be a problem right? I have no problems on getting the seeds to sprout (they come in plastic bags) itā€™s just that they grew mold the last time I tried sprouting. Also, is it necessary to rinse or soak the seeds/beans/lentils in vinegar, GSE etc.? Or could I just use water?

Most Reactions

Latest posts