My sun conure STILL can't fly...

jourdy

Aug 15, 2011
My second sun conure was born August 5, 2011. He's more than 2 months old yet he doesn't seem to be too confident in using his wings. He flaps his wings so lightly that his descent when jumping is way too fast. Result is that he crashes to the floor. Weird thing is, he used to be a better "glider" a few weeks ago. He seems to have just given up on flying and refuses to flap hard. He is content on walking around and climbing.

I also notice that his grip is not as tight as other birds.. thus he is a bit clumsy. He is the slowest bird I have probably seen - he is not wary and does not get startled easily like other birds. He's like a fat cat in the way that he moves so slowly... one foot at a time and sometimes uses his beak as a 'cane.'

Lastly, he is well over 2 months old now yet still only feeds on Zupreem Embrace. I see him try eating FruitBlend and Sunflower seeds, but I never see any that are actually eaten. Most just fall to the floor; seeds are left unopened.

Is this normal? Does anyone know why he is like this? In comparison, my first sun conure is a quick learner! Weaned at 9 weeks and learned to fly around the same time. I saw him develop his flying abilities, unlike this second sun conure who doesn't seem to even know how to glide.

Here's a picture of them (older sun conure on the left, dirty):
yXlfe.jpg

Solo pictures
lFwkn.jpg

dZTbX.jpg

As you can see, he is fully feathered.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Alex took awhile to wean as he had to move from his breeder/feeder to me (due to an illness his breeder had ): ) and wasn't too thrilled with the unfamiliar house and person (though I did visit him numerous times as a chick, which did seem to help as I wasn't a total stranger) and as a result took longer to wean... But he was flying at 7-8 weeks (At least making terrible attempts at it!) and doing as expected otherwise developmentally. but, he didn't wean until he was 3+ months! I think it was nearly four! In the end he went for an overnight stay at his breeders while I was away, and when I cou back, for some reason his little birdy brain clicked and he went from 3 feeds a day to none (well, the occasional one sometimes!)!

But some birds, just like children, learn at a different pace. It doesn't necessarily mean he is less intelligent then any other sunny. Often the child who may take a few months extra to walk is of above average intelligence in other areas (often cognitive). I would only be concerned if he was showing extreme delays in the expected development of his kind, as that would indicate a possible problem.

But like we can help the child who takes longer to walk, I think you could help your bird along. A friend breeds hyacinths, and sometimes a chick is a little slower then the rest. Sometimes it's something in the environment that's putting them off, sometimes they had a bad fall on one of their early flight attempts and 'once bitten, twice shy', sometimes it's psychological attachment, where the bird doesnt feel 'bonded' enough or have a secure enough attachment with another bird, parent, human, feeder, etc. This was the issue with Alex and weaning, he lost that bond with his handler, and had to build a new bond with me, and wasn't 'secure' enough to wean until so. An animal with the intelligence of a young child is capable of some psychological issues. So is a dog with an irrational fear of thunderstorms. But I son't think that's the problem here. Maybe look at your environment, and try to provide him positive incentives for flight (a favourite toy or treat located in a place that has to be flown to perhaps? But make sure it is an easy landing spot! You don't want to make it above his skill level. Baby steps)

As for the beak thing, Alex does similar. He uses his beak more then his feet! Some birds are right footed, others left, others disregard this and use their beak at every opportunity!

Take it at his pace, try some new tactics to encourage him. If you don't see an improvement I would schedule him in with an avian vet just to make sure everything is a-ok and to also put your fears to rest :)

I realise I might transfer childcare, child delays, and teaching/'human' knowledge to parrots waaay to often, but their are some very big parallels and similarities between the two. It's to be expected when a parrot has the cognitive capability of a child!

Last edited:
OP
J

jourdy

Aug 15, 2011
Thank you for your well thought response. I will continue bonding with him in hopes that he will feel more secure.

Note though, he shares a cage with a cockatiel - one he grew up with; and every weekend we visit my GF who has the 1st sun conure. The tiel and the first sun conure are free to fly all over the place (they even made a roost out of the plastic tree and a cuckoo clock) so I thought this would at least encourage the 2nd sun conure to fly.

I see him flapping his wings from time to time, but they are pathetically weak flaps. Sometimes I place him on top of a table and monitor them from a distance while he watches the other 2 birds fly like crazy. Kinda sad watching him just stare and squawk..

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I don't think it's a bonding thing... he looks like a very, happy healthy guy and I'm sure you and him have a great bond. With Alex it was because he was taken from his original 'flock' when old enough to really have a strong bond with his carer, but also not old enough to be confident in himself without his mother/parents/feeder yet, as he was still dependant on them for day to day care. Had he been, say a 2-3 week chick or similar when I took him, he would have adjusted much better to a new handler. On a similar note, had he been self sufficient and weaned, he wouldn't have fretted and had these issues because he wouldn't have been dependant on his carer, and would have been equipped to survive on his own, and hence much more ok with his food/caregivers absence, as he could feed/care or himself... You can see the problems we had because of it... The "Where is my mother" problem. Reminded me of the tantrums and issues kids have when dropped at daycare, but they know mum and dad will return for them (Again with the references. I am studying teaching and children cognition... Their are so many parallels between parrots and young kids.). Alex did not, because they were not. And even now, we still have attachment issues (Hates me leaving, and so on) but he's becoming much more confident and sure of himself with each passing day. But I'm rambling, between the childrens cognitive research and the avian study we have been partaking in, we've made some pretty good hypothesises about his weird avian behaviour, lol.

But back to your guy :)

Maybe he had a bad crash and is wary of flight now?

Maybe he just hasn't built up the flight muscles yet? If his attempts seem weak (as in, putting all his effort in, but physically thats all he is capable of) it sounds like a physical problem. I guess if he hasn't been trying to fly much and practising his flapping, he won't build up the muscle needed, and without it, he can't fly. Seems strange, all the young birds I've known have had a strong instinct to get flying asap. He's probably just taking it at a different pace, but maybe get him checked out by an avian vet, just in case their is some muscle, skeletal or physical issue impeding him from flying and learning how to, in particular because of this.

"He flaps his wings so lightly that his descent when jumping is way too fast. Result is that he crashes to the floor. Weird thing is, he used to be a better "glider" a few weeks ago."

If he was flying better last week but had regressed to this stage, something might be up. Makes no sense really. It also sounds like (when jumping and flapping) that he was/is trying, but just can't do it? Hard to tell without watching him, and you know him best :) I'd consider a check up/vet trip, and if he doesn't seem to be gaining any flight skills over the next few weeks or other things show up, I'd defiantly be going. Seems kinda odd really.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Jourdy, alarm bells are ringing for me. A few problems come to mind. Especially with the poor grip. Can you tell me how many feeds he is still on & if he has lost any weight in the last few weeks. Also check his poop is a good color.

Are both photos of the same baby?

OP
J

jourdy

Aug 15, 2011
Pedro, he is on 2 feedings per day.. Morning and evening. He was on 3 feedings per day until exactly 5 days ago.

I don't check his weight... but now that you mention it, he seems light. His poop is normal coloration, but I notice this guy poops about three times more frequently than the other conure, but he has been this way ever since. It surprises me that sometimes he poops even after only 5 minutes of pooping already prior.. Also sometimes this guy poops but only the clear liquid is excreted.

About 3 weeks ago he had an eye infection and his right eye was closed. Brought him to the vet and was treated with a medicine called Opticin. The eye healed quick but now that I think about it.. that was the time when he started being clumsy.

I hate that vet. He checked the eyes with a flashlight and asked me to pay 3x more than I pay for a dog checkup. Not counting the medicine. And he performed a beak test of some sort, the clinic said they will call me after 5 days. It's been 3 weeks, still no call.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Hrmmm, that considered (especially with a prior medical problem that may be causing this) I would be going to the vet (A different vet if possible) and be getting this checked out ASAP!

OP
J

jourdy

Aug 15, 2011
Ive called up 6 different clinics, there's only 1 clinic with a vet who has a specialization in birds. And he's out of the country til October 22! Really difficult to find a good vet here.

Anyway, here are 2 videos of him:

Here is him trying to fly and falling hard on the floor.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCdsZVEk9A]Conure Fail Fly - YouTube[/ame]

Here is him with my other sun conure.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stTVhmxsUWE]Kiki and Chicorita - YouTube[/ame]

Im hoping these videos may help in determining if there's a problem with my conure's appearance or behavior.

OP
J

jourdy

Aug 15, 2011
Also, if it may help... here are some pictures of him close up. I really don't see anything wrong with his appearance but maybe the bird experts can?

High res picture of his face
lLfe5.jpg

Here's him out in the open. He doesn't try to fly.
lDFpk.jpg

Sometimes he moves so awkwardly. While walking he will try to flap his wings and fall
2dQsC.jpg

He is still curious about sounds and sights though.
d9nn8.jpg

He seems like a normal bird in the sense that he's alert and curious to sounds and sights. I was wrong to say he has a poor grip.. He can latch on to my finger very well but a sudden off balance movement will usually result to him hanging on upside down, (when my other birds usually flap their wings to balance themselves).

Thanks very much for any help!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I always thought weaning and fledging were linked.... Max started to refuse his feedings and nearly immediately started to fly.

Maybe wait till he's weaned and then see what happens... Do not force wean, please.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'd get a blood panel done ASAP. This could be a sign of some sort of a deficiency or another infection. Or, since you say it started after the antibiotics, it could be a results of his digestive flora being disrupted, which can cause all sorts of problems. Those are my thoughts, anyways.

Also, since the vet hasn't called you back about the tests, I'd blow up their phone until you get them!

Also, I don't know if you've done this or not, but I found my vet by calling an office that doesn't do birds, and I asked them if they knew anyone who did.

Good luck to you two!

Most Reactions