My unusual talking Lovebird

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
Zebra finches, society finches,button quail, green cheek conure, sun conure, quaker parrot, Congo greys, double yellow amazon, orangewing amazons and lovebird
I have an unusual lovebird (Binky) he talks and mimics quite well for a lovebird and he is super friendly. I was at a pet store buying seed I had him with me, the shop keeper mouth dropped when he noticed he was talking, he talks quite well. The owner says to me he has not heard a lovebird mimic like that, any that he had just make little peeps. I wish I had audio, so i can share his interesting ability. I have had birds for 17 years from finches to cockatoos. I do have to say he is amazing. I have only had him for a week he came from a house with 8 dogs and 13 cats or more from craigslist for free. :blue2: Does anyone think it is unusual for a lovebird the talk/mimic? I know my parakeet can chat a little but not as well as my Bink.

Attachments

• downsize(15).jpg
    downsize(15).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,251
Last edited:

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
thats pretty unusual never heard a lovebird ever sing or make a noise i even heard its super hard to tame them u are one lucky person

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Wow, how cool is that...although some love birds do that, it is the exception and certainly not the rule....my little lovebird doesn't talk at all but she makes lots of sounds I love....you have a special bird there.

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
I've only heard of it once or twice before. Lucky lucky you!

beckybird

Nov 16, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Lola (green cheek conure)
Connor (yellow sided green cheek conure)
Dorian "Buzzy" (senegal)
Hi :)
A talking lovebird IS rare. The lovebird I had, Karma, learned to say only one thing from our cockatiel: pretty bird. He shortened it to "T-birrrrrrrd!" And he didn't use it in the right context. The only time Karma would say t-bird was when he was very angry about something. I knew something had aggravated him when I'd hear a shrill and drawn out "t-birrrrrrrrrrd" coming from his cage in the kitchen. He'd impatiently shriek his one and only phrase when he had just bathed in his water dish and wanted the water changed, when his "wife" the green cheek conure Lola would accidentally preen a painful feather, when our family was eating pizza or some other tasty thing and we did not share some with him quickly enough, when he felt he was receiving too much or too little attention, etc. And the best way to guarantee an attitudinal "t-bird" out of Karma was to put him back in his cage.

Most Reactions