Myers or Brown Headed

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Hello,
I am looking at these two spices but both, according to online it seems they are both around $500 is that the case? I am also in the process of looking for a cage. As well as a breeder. I am in the middle of no where and having trouble with this. Also other nessary info my wife and I are eventually going to have kids when they are older I dont want the parrot to attack them a kinder parrot is nessary. That is why I turned away form the Senegal and turned to these two. Please recommend possible affordable breeders that have been known for quality birds. As well as some cages. I thank you all for reading this and providing feedback.
In review i am looking for
1. More child friendly under close supervision
2. More affordable of the 2 and a breeder
3. Cages that too...are affordable, been looking on Amazon the cages around $100 seem to be a bit faulty, at most i can spend around 150 for cage.
Thank you for your imput
Kyle
P.S. we also want a bird of longer life expectancy my wife dose become quite close to them.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Most of the breeders that are good stick to their price with no negotiations! If you want something lesser priced you can look at cockatiel as their life span can go around 25 years or so. Anything more your gonna have to pay more. If you can go visit a local rescue center you can see what they have available as they might be lower in price but that depends on each individual rescue center. Each individual birds are different as one can be a total swert heart while the other of the same specie turns out to be a problematic bird but that really depends on how you train them to begin with.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
well do you know the going rate of the 2 species i mentioned?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi Kyle, depending on where you live (I'm assuming the US)? $500 more or less sounds about usual. I am partial to Poicephalus family parrots which includes these two species. I just love them.
That being said, though stereotypically BH and Meyer's are said to be a gentler than others in their family... You've surely noticed how big the beaks are of these species as compared to their body size? When mature, just like ANY parrot, they can and occasionally will bite. Also early socialization and training can make a difference with having an aggressive bird or not. But you're right that these two species are by nature, more gentle parrots than some species. As you know, any parrot/child interaction should be closely supervised, but just know that in the event the BH or Meyer's should bite a child, it will be a deeper and more painful bite than a smaller bird. But it's up to you... they have a lot of positive traits too. They can easily be taught to become used to petting, cuddling, handling such as being held in your hand like an ice cream cone, on their backs in your palm, etc. AND at the same time being independent and very able to entertain themselves and be content with their toys if you and the family are away during the day. Not a demanding type of bird. Their voice is not loud, super soft to the touch, and cute too.
As far as lifespan, my closely related Red Bellied parrot will be 20 yrs. old in July. Had him since he was 3 months old. I've heard they could live to be 30+. I believe it since I've seen many smaller species live past 20.
Good luck on your decision.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Live in northern California and yeah breeders that are good are hard to find

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
So any recommendations on good cages for either of these 2 talked it over with the wife and shes given the green light for the species plus closest rescue center is probally more of less 4 hours away so breeder is needed

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Have you checked out HQ flight cage? That's something around your price range but you would need to replace the dishes that comes with it with better dishes.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
I have been looking at that cage will probally get that one thank you, now just need to find a breeder

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Okay I have decided to get that cage, just need a breeder. Is it better to drive out and pick one up or possilby mail them? Please let me know. I am practicly in Oregon where I am thank you

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've had birds shipped no problem. A drawback is it's an extra approx. $200 for crating and airline shipping charges.
Look on bird breeder.com if you prefer one nearby. Lots of people breed them so it shouldn't be hard to find. Meyer's are especially plentiful. I also LOVE those colors on the Meyer's.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Alright thank you will look into the breeder.com website thanks again all

Oofa

Feb 19, 2014
Hi Soven26, If you are willing to drive to Napa the Feather Farm is a reputable and very helpful breeder. I purchased my first bird (a White Capped Pionus) through them a few years ago and they were extremely helpful. They also have a great selection of cages that are relatively inexpensive.
Feather Farm.com

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Picked up a cage just looking for a breeder. Willing to dive to Nappa drove to Klamath Falls and back in one day. Have family in Nappa

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Thanks, after a bit more research seems that the Brown headed is a bit more dual person friendly. Meaning its okay with more then one person. They Cage is assembled. Just need a breeder have family down in petaluma/santa rosa area that I can crash at if a breeder is in that area. Rather drive and pick up rather then have it mailed, due to never have done it that way.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Okay after doing so research on Birdbreeders.com I realized that the Brown headed parrot is hard to find. The small local airport probably cant handle the delivery so I would have to drive 2 hours anyways to the next airport. I live in Northern California if i drive north for 25 minutes I am in Oregon. I have family that I can bunk with in the Santa Rosa and Salem areas. IF you happen to know of a Brown Headed Parrot breeder that is reputable within 3 hours of either area Salem/Santa Rosa PLEASE let me know. I am willing to make that drive. It would be cheaper that way they both would feed me, gas is all I would be paying for vs 150 or more for the flight and gas to get to that airport + food

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!

Most Reactions