Name Change?

RinaDoc

Aug 18, 2018
Pennsylvania
So, I'm looking to get the sweetest GCC from my local pet store. She's a doll baby and is so tamed and lovey. Well, her name at the store is Cheeka and she will be a year old this January. Do you think I could get her used to a new name or is it probably too late and I'll just have to stick to her name?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Abd yippie congratulations. I hope you take the time to read as many of the threads, member a big cage is important it's a one time big expense, but it is a 30 year investment! I would not go less than 30 inches in length and 20 inches in width. I think a DNA test is worth it to :) happy times!!

jm0

Aug 6, 2017
Denmark
Parrots
Tux (Blue Throated Parakeet) - 2 year.
I was wondering this as well. I don't see anything wrong with it per se. But in my case it's probably not the best thing to do, as i've had my bird for 1.5 year and people that know my bird has known him as 'Tux' all this time. And i even has his name in my recall flight command, when i want him to fly to me. I yell "Come, tux!". But every time i brainstorm names, i can't seem to come up with a better name. And when i think about it, i actually like this name. I've become too accustomed to this :)

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'm not a big fan of generic names, especially common ones. Casey, my tiel, came with her name and that's actually one I'm fine with. But Charlie? Ugh... hate it! Everyone names their bird/dog/other pet Charlie! (it's pretty common...) My ex-BIL's dog is named Charlie and I have a friend who's dog is also named Charlie...

And I have a 24 year old conure who has been Charlie his entire life! If he didn't say "Hi Char-LEE!" and "Charlie-saurus", I'd change it in a heartbeat! Even birds who know their names and say them, you can still change their name and they can learn to say something else! But Charliesaurus is a rather cute saying! LOL

OP
R

RinaDoc

Aug 18, 2018
Pennsylvania
Oh good. I don't hate the name Cheeka, but I would prefer to give her a new name for her new life. Ya know?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
If you want to change it... go ahead.
The birds recognize their name as a kind of flock-call, you are a new person, so you can give them a new call, no problem.

I am lazy and did not change the names they came with (apart from Sunny- and that one sort of sucks too ;) it's more a working title, not a name- but she needed a name fast when I got her to the CAV and it was the first thing that popped in my head)

=

just for fun, not mine: https://imgur.com/gallery/EKLdwkI (one of my friends just sent me this)

Most Reactions