Natural Play Gyms

clawnz

Banned
Banned
Jun 11, 2010
Media
There are 3 gyms around for them.
Here is the large one.
As you can see it is fairly complecated.
The main wood is Manuka with Paperbark gum (the lighter wood and fluffy bark) A lot of the branches are resting on each other so there are not a lot of screws or cable ties holding it together. The base is just an office chair.
There are 3x feeding spots on the gym, I also hang things off it for them.
Roxy comes down to the small water fall to drink.

IMG_0164JPGS.png

close up of main road junction.
IMG_3700.jpg

Looking down.
IMG_3691.jpg

This is a pic I took with the flash at night to show where they roost at night. Before Max jioned us.
IMG_3639.jpg

The gym by the dinner table where we interact mostly.
IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

And the small gym in the lounge.
IMG_0237.jpg

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
They look amazing, nice work. I'm planning on making one when I get some time in a few weeks.

Just wondering - do you do anything to the branches before giving them to the birds? I give my birds eucalyptus from across the road, I always wash the branches in hot water and sometimes even sand them a bit because I'm so worried there will be some sort of bugs or toxins on them.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Now I know what a "Birdie Paradise" looks like
OMG that is so awesome, great planning wow
Ps.... is there any place there for the "human flock"
If I had a big place, I would do exactly the same

OP
C

clawnz

Banned
Banned
Jun 11, 2010
Media
Just wondering - do you do anything to the branches before giving them to the birds? I give my birds eucalyptus from across the road, I always wash the branches in hot water and sometimes even sand them a bit because I'm so worried there will be some sort of bugs or toxins on them.

Bird poop from the wild birds needs to be cleaned off, as this can carry infections.
A lot of woods have natural antibacterial properties. And do not become a problem till they start to break down.
If you wash with clean hot water and then leave to dry in the sun you should be good.
Remember pollution and chemicals are beyound your control, so please make sure your wood comes from a safe area.
Steam cleaning would also work.

When I give them a branch top from the tree outside to chew on, I do not treat it. i trust the rain and sun to keep new wood like this clean.
It is only the wood I use for the gyms that I clean.

OP
C

clawnz

Banned
Banned
Jun 11, 2010
Media
Now I know what a "Birdie Paradise" looks like
OMG that is so awesome, great planning wow
Ps.... is there any place there for the "human flock"
If I had a big place, I would do exactly the same

I am sure they also think it is great, they all seem very comfortable and healthy enough.

I do have a car seat in the conservatory just to the right in the top pic. You cannot see it, but it is next to the Draco.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thanks for that info clawnz. The park across the road is huge and bleeds into the wild forests a few km on. There is hardly any traffic around so I don't have to worry about exhaust fumes. I try to steer clear of wood with poop and chew marks from the wild cocky's (Got plenty of this at home :)) And I do like to keep an eye out for any spraying that the council does. The trees are generally safe, but I pick up a lot of branches from the ground so I'm always careful.

When I eventually get some time to build a gym for the birds I will post some pics

Last edited:

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
That looks really amazing, That would be a dream play gym for my birds. How did you get many of the branches to stay on each other without screws or cables? And when you said the base is an office chair, what do you mean?

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
And when you said the base is an office chair, what do you mean?

I you look closely at the very last picture, notice the wheels at the bottom of the stand? Those are office chair wheels. :D

These are fabulous works of art. Fantastic job! I'm sure those birds really enjoy playing on there.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
It took me like 10 minutes of staring at the first picture trying to find those darn wheels before I scrolled down and realized they were on the last picture LOL:jumping40

OP
C

clawnz

Banned
Banned
Jun 11, 2010
Media
That looks really amazing, That would be a dream play gym for my birds. How did you get many of the branches to stay on each other without screws or cables? And when you said the base is an office chair, what do you mean?

Sorry I did say I used screws and cables tie, just not that many.
Some branches are placed in a crutch one end and only one screw may hold it in place. I tried to make the screws hard to get to. There is a screw in each of the steps.
I should also say that if you build one of these it is always best to use stainless steel.
I did not, but!
A. My Fids do not target the screws.
B. I am not worried if they do get rust on the screws, which will not happen indoors anyway, as I have yet to hear of rust making a bird sick.

Please remember these are only my opions and are shared by some.

The Office chair base as has been pointed out was only visable in the last picture, sorry about that. The base on the big gym has the wheels removed. But it is under the paper so you could not see.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
:smiley5:
It took me like 10 minutes of staring at the first picture trying to find those darn wheels before I scrolled down and realized they were on the last picture LOL:jumping40

Now you know why we are called bird crazy people:jumping40

Now I'm realizing that too! lol. We're catching the bird craziness, hahaa!
:green2::32::yellow1:

Most Reactions