navigation and "how to" guide for new members

awhitright

Jan 14, 2015
Media
north of Dallas, TX
Parrots
10 parakeets
As a new member I have many questions about the functions of buttons like the "quote" button etc. It would be helpful if there were a tutorial or something to explain functions and how to get around on this site. An orientation section of sorts... I teach online and new students/members often can't utilize the system and all it has to offer just because they just don't know how to use the various function and navigation tools. Love this site, just wish I knew more about navigation etc. :greenyellow:

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
The quote button will quote that post in your reply

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi, welcome :). At this time, we don't have a guide or tutorial, BUT we have many threads under Technical Support and the Question and Answer sections which might have the answers you're looking for.

As you familiarize yourself with the forum, and more questions arise, if you can't find the answers, please don't hesitate to ask... and go ahead and ask as many times as you need to. We have a great group of people here, and we're here to help!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
As a new member I have many questions about the functions of buttons like the "quote" button etc. It would be helpful if there were a tutorial or something to explain functions and how to get around on this site. An orientation section of sorts... I teach online and new students/members often can't utilize the system and all it has to offer just because they just don't know how to use the various function and navigation tools. Love this site, just wish I knew more about navigation etc. :greenyellow:

I used the quote button at the bottom right corner of YOUR post just now to show you an example. Now your post appears here along with mine.

Many times we want to reply to a specific something that someone said, and this is a clear way to do it. You can also edit the quote if you'd like, and delete out sentences that don't apply.

I hope this helps some :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It would be helpful if there were a tutorial or something to explain functions and how to get around on this site.
You're right. I have been using forums for so long, I don't remember how I learnt how to use the software and a search doesn't bring up much for users of the forum itself, just for users of the forum software.

The forum software (vbulletin) is used by many, many (many) forums. Other popular/bigger forums might have tutorials or how-tos that could help, but each forum might have differences in what they offer their forum users so they won't be spot on for Parrot forums.

Here is the basic info from the vbulletin site (which took some finding - it's crazy that it should be hard to access basic info like this).

Help - vBulletin Community Forum

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Use the testing testing forum for experimentation. That way you won't look like a complete idiot, unless like me you want to shoot for greatness! I don't beleave in half way anything!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

If you browse around our (non bird specific) sections, you will find that we have many tutorials already in place. :)

Here are some of them:
http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/49121-how-start-your-first-thread.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/49179-advanced-search-functionality.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/3063-how-start-your-own-thread.html

When new members sign up, they are sent a welcome message, including links to our Forum Rules and Guidelines, which many of them unfortunately don't even bother to read.

As Julie (RavensGryf) already said, please never hesitate to either contact one of the moderators specifically, or you can post questions on the open forum. :)

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If you browse around our (non bird specific) sections, you will find that we many tutorials already in place. :)

Hmmm, must be chilly enough in NJ, that Wendy is taking Schnapps with her morning coffee ! ! !

Most Reactions

Latest posts