Need a perch

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
Iā€™m looking for one of those wooden dowel perches with notches in both ends. The notches need to be a bit wider than for cage wires. It is going on top of the cage in a spot where it is basically wedged in place. It needs to be exactly 18 inches in length and 3/4 of an inch in diameter. I have looked on Amazon, Petsmart, Petco, and I cannot find one. Any ideas on where I can get one?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
You mean it is the crucial one that prevents the open top of the cage from collapsing?
Just contact the manifacturer of that type of cage (if they are still in business).

Or buy a good handsaw and make a few yourself ;)
(there are places where DIYpeople come together, they could help you out with any woodworkingproblems -- maybe the dreaded facebook will help you? I found mine by checking the local hobby-courses, there were plenty in my area even though I lived in the city at that time.)
Asking in shops that sell wood will get you great info as well.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I recently went on a quest for these too. I think it was ebay or Amazon, but one of these had custom notched dowel perches and you could specify based on cage measurements etc. If I can find a link, I will post.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I recently went on a quest for these too. I think it was ebay or Amazon, but one of these had custom notched dowel perches and you could specify based on cage measurements etc. If I can find a link, I will post.

I hope you can find that link a few of us are looking for custom perches. I ended up making my own for new cage, as gave up on trying to find some. It actually work out better doing my own as a direct smooth fit.

If you give them cage measurements, measure from interior space, otherwise perch will be to large and push on sides of cage. That more likely reason you don't see any for sale?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

I hope you can find that link a few of us are looking for custom perches. I ended up making my own for new cage, as gave up on trying to find some. It actually work out better doing my own as a direct smooth fit.

If you give them cage measurements, measure from interior space, otherwise perch will be to large and push on sides of cage. That more likely reason you don't see any for sale?

I remember specifically that the site requested the interior/exterior/bar-spacing etc---it was definitely for exactly what you are after. I just need to find the link. I may have added it to my favorites...but it was last year or so...I will try to figure it out and let you guys know.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Don't try to find one to order, just go to Walmart to the Arts/Crafts section and you'll find a huge stand of wooden dowel-rods in all different diameter, including 3/4". They're long, I'm not sure how long but they are at least 2-3 feet long, and they cost like $1 a piece or less depending on the diameter. Then all you need is a small, cheap Hacksaw, which you can also buy at Walmart for a few bucks, or actually at the DollarTree for $1 believe it or not...Then you can cut it to the exact length you want in about 5 minutes or less, they are incredibly easy to saw through, and then you can make the notches in each end the width you want in another 5 minutes. All done in 10 minutes or less and will cost you under $2!

t.m.b.d.b61

Mar 17, 2019
WELL I COULD GO GET U ONE AND CHARGE 15.00 OR U CAN GO TO LOWE'S AND GET THE OAK DOWELS THEY HAVE AND MAKE U AS MANY AS U WANT! :) THIS IS WHAT WE USE FOR OUR MACAW'S BIRD STANDS THAT WE BUILD. GOOD LUCK.:blue1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts