NEED ADVICE! l screamed at my conure and Im really scared he’ll never trust me

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hi everyone, Im literally on the verge of tears right now

I had my conure for about 3 months and so far he eats out of my fingers sometimes. But i made a mistake and that is i screamed sometimes at him.
I really regret it and im scared hell never trust me.
I acreamed at him like 5-7 time and it was like “kiwi shut up!”
Im really sad i love him to death and i dont him to be scared of me.
We do play i hand him this little ball and he throws it and i give it back to him for example.
Is it really serious? Is it permenantly going to effect our relationship? I wont yell at him ever again but im about to cry to be honest 😭

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
We all learn from our mistakes and this will not permanently hurt your long term relationship.
Although sometimes its fun to scream with your birds but not at them.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We all learn from our mistakes and this will not permanently hurt your long term relationship.
Although sometimes its fun to scream with your birds but not at them.
I wouldn't feel too bad. I think our birds sometimes like it when we scream at them as long as we're not physically violent toward them. Parrots scream at each other (and at nothing in particular) all the time in the wild.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Breath, its ok . He will be ok and so will your relationship with him i promise. Ive yelled at albie to shut up very recently when i had an awful migraine and we still have a great bond

What is he screaming at ? Is he borded,trying to get your attention,something scaring him,being silly?

What helped me and Albie with minimising the screaming was to have a designated scream off a couple times a week where i join in and its pretty fun and catharthic . Keeping him occupied with mental stimulation such as a forage box or training helps because a tired bird brain is a quiet bird . Training also builds a bond and trust and he has your attention.

If something is scaring him try and figure out what it is so you can move it.

If he just being silly , try distracting him with other sillyness.

Youll both be ok ,really , you will

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one who has purposeful scream offs! My YNA Baxter has the sweetest voice when she wants to, but when she wants attention, she has this cranky old woman screamy voice and shouts "HELLO" progressively louder. We have to shout it back and forth with an occasional "Aaaaa" and we both laugh over it. (She has the BEST laugh!) 🤣 Then I go over to her and say, "see you later" and wave, and she replies with the sweetest, saddest sounding "b'byeee." ♥️♥️♥️

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. We get mad at each other, and say things we regret. As long as you aren't constantly screaming at him, things should be fine.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Like others have said, a good screaming match is sport to a parrot. You likely reinforced the behavior and gave your bird a bit of entertainment.🤣

Most Reactions