Need Advice Macaw With Anger Issues

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My two cents here:

You've described a bird that, yes, has anger issues, but clearly displaying one-personess (allows themselves to be handled by one person only, aggressive to everyone else). With birds who have this behavior, once they are rehomed they will form a new bond with another person, likely you. So you most likely won't be the target of aggression once you've developed a bond with him.

"Being bit is a part of owning a bird" is very different from taking on a bird with behavioral issues and should be distinguished as such.

I'm rather disturbed by this absolutist "you have a dog? You can't have a bird" mentality that is developing lately. It's simply wrong. Many of us have dogs and birds (and many other different animals), all of which are quite happy and healthy. We (my home) are even dog sitters on rover.com, we have two boarders right now (yorkie and cavalier king charles spaniel) on top of our own tea cup yorkie and our eclectus.

It takes planning and forethought, an abundance of caution. All of which need to be emphasized when counseling a potential future bird owner who also own dogs, but dog owners can still absolutely provide very safe homes. They should not be dissuaded from considering a parrot as a companion.

I think Scott gave the best advice here. You have two obstacles to overcome, first the owners, then the bird. The best way to do this is simply spend time bonding with the bird at their place. Eventually they may either give up the bird or improve the care. If they give it up to you, you will already be a familiar face to the bird and the move will be less of a shock.

Last edited:
OP
S

spirittoo

Jul 17, 2017
Wellsir .... my friend and I had a long talk and he has decide to let me take Malcolm ... I must prepare.:eek:

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
Baby the Peachfaced Lovebird
What an incredible, and incredibly brave, thing you are doing! Kudos to you. Please keep updating as things develop.

Yes, with necessary precautions, owners of other animals can have birds/parrots. The growing sentiment that people who keep multiple animals somehow care less for their animals... is annoying to say the least. I live in a house with multiple animals and people. Not all the animals are mine, but they all receive the best care. 2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 parrots. Of these, I care for the horses, parrots, and 1 cat. If the parrots come out, the fans are off, dogs outside, one cat locked up, doors locked, burners/oven/stove/kitchen off, closet/pantry doors closed, etc. The other cat has zero prey drive and is best friends with my lovebird. She is afraid of and runs from the cockatoo. They are always supervised constantly, and I do not encourage interaction, but nor do I lock up the cat that has shown no prey drive to either wild or domestic animals. The other cat is 16 yrs old and prefers to stay in her room anyway, so locking her up is not a big deal. The dogs I don't even trust around the cats unsupervised, so outside they go. The horses are a moot point, being outside...

I hope Malcolm settles in well and quickly with you! Remember that fresh food (especially vegetables) is a super important part of a bird's diet. In my opinion, pellets should not be relied on alone.

OP
S

spirittoo

Jul 17, 2017
Thanks gentleheart ... wow ... you have horse friends ... I would dearly love a horse friend ... I hope someday that will happen. I envy you.

I'm looking forward to having a bird friend again. The dogs are small and I think they might be scare of Malcolm especially when he screams.

I feed my dogs fruits and veggies with their food ... I have a veggie garden during the summer so Malcolm will get fresh home grown veggies during our growing season.

Don't worry you are going to see me around. I'm going to need you good folks help giving Malcolm a good home.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Good for you. I cringed when I read the comment about "just hand over a $1500 bird" - that's why so many parrots languish like Malcolm does. Too much to handle, too expensive to give away. Plus giving the bird up implies failure.

When you bring Malcolm home...be sure his cage is in a corner if you can, and not in front of a window. It helps them feel safe. Have a perch around waist level if possible. The first week or so is usually a "parrot honeymoon" - the parrot is in unfamiliar territory and will usually be more docile and approachable. As they get more comfortable, they can begin to assert old patterns, so take advantage of this time. You will probably be able to get him to step up for you - lose the glove, by the way, birds are scared of them and if you worry just wrap a towel with a ace bandage under long sleeves. Also see if you can scratch his head, which isn't so much scratching as helping preen off feather sheaths. If you just rub gently back and forth across the feathers, he might like it very much. See how comfortable you can get with touching him. This is the best time to start a new habit of stepping up, touching, teaching not to scream. Good luck to you!

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
My two cents here:

You've described a bird that, yes, has anger issues, but clearly displaying one-personess (allows themselves to be handled by one person only, aggressive to everyone else). With birds who have this behavior, once they are rehomed they will form a new bond with another person, likely you. So you most likely won't be the target of aggression once you've developed a bond with him.

"Being bit is a part of owning a bird" is very different from taking on a bird with behavioral issues and should be distinguished as such.

I'm rather disturbed by this absolutist "you have a dog? You can't have a bird" mentality that is developing lately. It's simply wrong. Many of us have dogs and birds (and many other different animals), all of which are quite happy and healthy. We (my home) are even dog sitters on rover.com, we have two boarders right now (yorkie and cavalier king charles spaniel) on top of our own tea cup yorkie and our eclectus.

It takes planning and forethought, an abundance of caution. All of which need to be emphasized when counseling a potential future bird owner who also own dogs, but dog owners can still absolutely provide very safe homes. They should not be dissuaded from considering a parrot as a companion.

I think Scott gave the best advice here. You have two obstacles to overcome, first the owners, then the bird. The best way to do this is simply spend time bonding with the bird at their place. Eventually they may either give up the bird or improve the care. If they give it up to you, you will already be a familiar face to the bird and the move will be less of a shock.

Couldn't agree more. We have bred dogs to care for and protect many prey animals. Sheep, cattle, goats, humans, and barnyard fowl. To paint with a broad brush that dogs and birds can't co-exist is silly. I have 3 large dogs that share the house with my amazon. I am very, very careful, but my dogs do not indicate any predatory behavior. I will never rely on that, but I know they can co-exist.

Boozie eggs them on to bark from the safety of her playtop, and the dogs largely ignore her. I left the room one day and Boozie tried to fly to me and I heard her squack. I came in rapidly and my old rescue pit bull was standing over her, guarding her like he does my grandchildren. Still am very careful, but Boozie will crawl all over him and nibble his ears while I hold his head and pet him. He is not bothered. They even greet each other with nose to beak touches. But, again, I am very careful.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
We have a GSD and a standard poodle. They are both terrified of Hahnzel our Hahns macaw. She tries to bite them if they "get to close daddy". However, I don't trust that to keep her safe. Common sense, good habits and never assume they're thinking like me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
Well it seems like you are very concerned which is what bird people are about birds period.
A lot most people would shy away from a bird treated like that. It's going too take time too earn trust but he will learn too trust you if you're patient with him just go slow.

OP
S

spirittoo

Jul 17, 2017
Update ...
Wellsir ... I'm working with Malcolm at my friends house right now to get him use to seeing me. I want to take this transition slow. I don't want to get him here, wake up the next day and find he plucked out his feathers due to stress. I spend time reading to him, and showing him videos. He lunges at me often, but I won't let him think he can intimidate me.

He shows signs of interested of me reading and talking to him. Many times he gives me the signal of go and jump in the lake ... something to that effect.

I am interested in finding out just how intelligent he is. Going to find some info on that subject and do some reading up on it. Probably read it to Malcolm too.

Just thought I let you folks know. I hope to get Malcolm here before the snow flies.

Thanks for reading my post. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
It'll take time and patience, but judging from the tenor of your posts I'd wager you have a healthy dose of both.

And don't underestimate the power of shameless bribery! You want him to start associating you with treats and fun times.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I'm glad to hear progress is being made! Pictures when you can!

Food for thought: To be honest, I truly believe you'd be perfectly fine if you bypass working with him at the house and simply just take him home with you. Very few rehomed birds have adjustment periods as you're doing and they thrive.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I think if anything it would actually be better for the bird to get them home as soon as you can. It means less time in the situation, even if only a few days you then know that they're safe and away from the neglect

OP
S

spirittoo

Jul 17, 2017
Got my first bite from Malcolm ... I was using a stick to distract him when he starts to scream and he stepped up on the stick couldn't drop it because he would fall or grab my arm before he fell. I was trapped and got me good on my hand ... that's going to leave a nasty scare. I was able to stroke his back for brief periods while he wasn't looking.

Actually my friend is spending a little bit more time with Malcolm ... don't know how long it will last, but it's a good thing for Malcolm. I will post a picture when I can.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ouch! Though sometimes getting over the hump of the vaunted FIRST BITE is a good thing, though. I know that, for me, it took all of the mystery and such out of it. Most find that, as bad as it may be, it's not what they'd built it up to be in their minds.

As for the issue you ran into, investing in a T-perch would help. You got caught out there because you were holding onto the exact portion of perch upon which he stood. You might be able to get away with that if you were dealing with a conure or a cockatiel. Not so much a macaw. But with a T-perch, Malcolm would have a much harder time getting at your hand. Your grip would be on the vertical, whilst he'd be perched on the horizontal. Definitely worth getting for your situation.

And remember, all of your interactions with him should be heavily treat based at this point. You're not trying to mimic what his current person can do with him. You are at a different stage in your relationship. Don't build on what they have. Work on building something new.

Also, here is a good thread on anticipating bites before they have a chance to happen (by reading body language) and avoiding them altogether: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

OP
S

spirittoo

Jul 17, 2017
Thank Anansi for the link and advice on the perch. I am having one heck of a hard time trying to find out what kind of treat he would love ... so far no luck. I bought him some honey roasted and spicy peanuts ... suck on the spicy ... one ... that was it ... no interested in the others. My friend said he doesn't seem to have a favorite food. So I have to see if I can figure out what he would really like to eat.:rainbow1:

Most Reactions