Need advice on pellets

Luiza

Nov 20, 2014
Hi everyone. I want to switch my 8 month old african grey to better pellet food, recently vet suggested Harrison. I bought small bag, he refuses to try it. Throws it out. I came across another brand that's organic. It's called tops. Any recommendations? And what's the best way to convert him, he's so picky.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I always suggest sprouts and veggies over pellets; fresh over processed any day ;)

OP
L

Luiza

Nov 20, 2014
Thanks. I actually started looking into the sprouting. Reading mixed opinions about it. Do u order special for bird mixes pre made then sprout?

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Hi everyone. I want to switch my 8 month old african grey to better pellet food, recently vet suggested Harrison. I bought small bag, he refuses to try it. Throws it out. I came across another brand that's organic. It's called tops. Any recommendations? And what's the best way to convert him, he's so picky.

Not a pellet fan to be quite honest, I prefer and recommend fresh veggies, sprouts, and legumes black eyed peas....fruit. None of my 5 birds will have anything to do with pellets....I can't blame them, if you knew exactly how it's made, you'd never buy the stuff again. But it's all a matter of opinion, that's just mine, and I personally toured Purina company that actually makes most of the pellets for many brand pellet company's that in turn put their label and logo on it, they don't actually make there pellets. Canisters of thick goo called yellow dye number (something) or red dye...chemicals basically, and animal by products actually going in pellets. I kid nobody here about that. I leave the decision to the individual, I'm just being informative here Because I have an Uncle that makes the pellets, and even he said he wouldn't give it to any bird.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I will only use Harrison's as far as pellets go. It is a nutritionally superior product compared to other PELLETS out there. I've used it for many years with outstanding results and perfect bloodwork.

I hear that not all birds like it, so must have been luck here. So far between my current and past flock and mother's birds, that is 10+ birds that all love(d) it, and have used it for probably 15 years now.

Last edited:

LadiDy

Feb 7, 2015
Media
USA, Macon, GA
Parrots
Military Macaw; Princess Storm, 25yo
CAG; Alex The Bird, 24yo
Eclectus; Ummbella, 2yo
Zupreem! My flock loves it . I use the natural pellets only, due to no dyes and on the advise of my avian vet. All my birds are adopted and 2 had to be converted from seed diets, the 3rd was already on the Zupreem pellets. It was so easy to convert the 2 that required it, I placed it in their bowls and they began to eat and have not stopped. Of course they get fresh fruits/vegetables, grains, nuts, and small amounts of chicken ever so often. My Macaw is 25yo, I've had her since she was 16, and my CAG is 24yo, he's been with me since he was 12. Both are beautifully feathered, active, happy and healthy.

Most Reactions