Need advice with GCC.

docunite

Jun 28, 2014
My name is Andrew. I have a 3y/o conure who's previous owner gave it to a bird store near me. The store informed me the poor little green cheek had a broken wing at one point . Also, I noticed one of its wings looked like it was possibly burned ? Definitely not clipped. Will this be a permanent problem? I'm giving attention to some behavioral issues that have come up and it seems she isn't interested in any toys or gym that I have bought . At the store she was playing on a gym . Any advice on how to get her playing ? I'm afraid to take her to the vet as I know the bills can exceed my budget quickly.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I don't know for sure about the wing issue, but sometimes wings can be clipped excessively, and then they won't grow back. I imagine the same thing could happen with a burn, but if just the ends of the feathers are damaged they should molt out and be replaced like normal. Do you have any idea how she was injured? As for getting her playing, I would just try to positively reinforce (reward) her for going near, touching, and playing with toys. The moment she shows the slightest interest in a toy, give her a piece of her favorite treat. Also, try playing with the toys yourself. Make it look like you're really having a great time, and she may become interested. Pippi always wants to be involved with whatever I'm doing, so demonstrating a behavior I want her to do usually works really well for me. Hope this helps, and good luck!

OP
D

docunite

Jun 28, 2014
Thanks! I will try that and as for the wings I will have to visit a vet . The store did not have a full story on how she was injured , just that she was. Either way she is a great bird and hopefully we can help her out

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thanks for taking her in! Glad you are taking her to the vet for the burnt wing. That sounds pretty odd, hopefully there is not permanent damage there. Why in the world would her wings be burnt I wonder?

Some conures are more playful than others. Introduce a variety of toys in different materials. Foraging toys filled w/ shredded paper and nuts/seeds are a big hit with my sun conure. Good luck and may you have many happy days with your conure. Post pics! :D

OP
D

docunite

Jun 28, 2014
Update on my GCC . Her wing was definitely broke in the past and has permanent damage to the feathers on that side . Whoever did the trim was careless and I would assume probably did the other damage trying to control her. She isn't fond of my nephew ( he is wild) so I keep her with me and she calms down . After playing a bit of tug o war with a new toy , she is starting to use it . The gym she is terrified of and runs under the couch . I have plenty of time so I'll keep it at her pace. I've learned a couple hard tugs on me means no touching , which is nice to know since my wife got it good when Olaf decided playtime was over . Thanks for the support and advice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts