Need Advice! Worried About Boomer

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Now this thread sure raised my blood pressure. I, too, wasn't online over the weekend, and was biting my nails reading through it. :eek:

Thanks to your prompt actions and seeking out the vet, Boomer will be fine. :) WHAT a scare that had to have been!!

HUGS to you & to Boomer!!!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
BB,
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear Boomer is getting stronger. I'd probably want to poop on someone that was grabbing me and forcefeeding me meds too, lol. So I wouldn't worry too much abou tthat since it's a temporary thing.... or maybe it's a gift from him to say thanks for the great care, lol.

I've done the oral a number of times over the decades and have found the injections to be easier for Pritti and for me....1,2,3 done.... and that way I don't worry about how much he can "spit out" (bird-style....that is). For oral meds, I did best when I mixed ea dose in a bit of a treat food and he gobbled it up and kept it down -- best I found was in plain apple butter (ingredients: apples and nothing else). Fruit spread would be similar. Just like enough to fit on the tip of my finger and feed it to him. Licked clean every time.

Sounds like Boomer is going to be just fine. Whew! I'm sweating it out with you thinking about the little guy every day.

K

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Just a tip for anyone reading:

We syringe train both our buns and birds so that they're easy to deal with when they need to be medicated.

We feed them pureed fruit/veggies, or organic, presev free baby food, etc, in a syringe. They love it, gobble it all and associate syringes with good things. So when we're giving them meds, we do one bit food, swap the syringe with meds, more food, more meds, etc. So they don't hesitate to take it.

Worked well for us so far. I think it's something everyone should get down because it means that medicating is far less stressful and stress is something you really want to keep down during illness. :(

Syringes are cheap to pick up from any pharmacy really and it's well worth it to make medicating more 'fun'.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Excellent ideas, thank you. I'll try mixing it with apple juice in a teaspoon tonight.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
I am so relieved and happy that he is doing much better! How scary!! *hugs*

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi everyone,

Some updates for those who are curious or might be finding their birds in the same situation. The test results came back.

Poop Test (Gram Stain)

His yeast count is 0, which is good.

Blood Test (Avian Exotic CBC)

The bad news is his CBC test shows that he had a very nasty infection. His whiteblood count was at 13,000 on Saturday. The normal amount for a sun conure should be 8,000. So there was definitely an infection, but from what they could not tell me. That really sucks because I would not know how to avoid whatever it was that caused it. They said it could have been anything: ingested food, bacteria from human, etc. but to know specifically, they had to have done a specific culture test before he was administered the antibiotics. Why they did not do it then, I don't know. I also don't know how complicated that test is. So at this point, I'm in the dark as to what caused Boomer's infection.

Treatment

I was advised to continue his Baytril (2 doses a day) until it is gone. I was also advised to continue giving him fluconizole (1 dose a day) which is for yeast control. Although his yeast is normal, the doctor said it is a preventative measure because yeast levels can become abnormal when a bird is sick. When those meds are gone, he wants me to return for another CBC to make sure the whiteblood count is normal. I hope he cuts me some slack on the charges there lol.

Supplementation

I asked if I could supplement is diet with probiotics and ACV (Apple cider vinegar). The probiotic is to help propagate his good bacteria that was killed by the antibiotics along with the bad bacteria. ACV is some sort of a yeast control. He said both are fine to give in moderation. I already bought probiotic tablets from petco and plain greek yogurt to use temporarily until the Vetefarm Probiotic Powder I bought arrives in the mail. I will use ACV in his water when fluconazole runs out, infrequently. I already use several supplements which I rotate and use in moderation. I don't give these everyday and never at the same time:

- bee pollen
- red palm oil
- vitamin drops
- mineral powder
- cinnamon powder
- ACV

And after this ordeal I plan to add:

- probiotic powder
- spirulina powder

With these many supplements, I worry that I might be doing more harm than good. I just have to make sure its rotated and used in moderation. I am happy Boomer is back to his old self (chewing my keyboard right now). However, because I do not know what caused his infection, I remain restless. What if it happens again? What if it happens when I'm at work? How do I safeguard his health? I guess all I could do now is to make sure his diet is good. Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future. Thank you all for your support and care.

Last edited:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
that is great news!....except for the infection....
I understand how disconcerting it can be not knowing what caused it....I'm in the same boat with Safari, not knowing....sigh....

the only thing you can do is think back maybe a week or so ago, it might have been something on the tap, who knows....
just keep thinking about it, and something might come to mind.

for some reason I thought spirulina was Vitamin A, I had heard it a long time ago, and never thought anything different, until I went to the vets the other day, and asked. then I found out what it was....I just found this link, it explains it quite well.

What is Spirulina and What Are Its Health Benefits? | Hectic life. Healthy girl.

I worry about over doing it as well, but hey, we are not vets, so we do the best we can.
since I add the spirulina to my birds foods, I'm going to cut back on some other things I give them....I am so glad you posted this, as I have just learned something as well, I educated myself on Spirulina, and all the excellent properties it has....not to mention making my birds beaks green lol!!

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Boom, thanks for the update. I myself won't feed my birds any supplements except that I do give them vitamins in their water twice a week but otherwise I just rely on a proper diet to provide the nutrients they require. I'm curous as to what other people do with their birds.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Sounds like you got all the bases covered and that he'll make a full recovery. From what you said it could be any number of things. What stood out most for me was the egg. I don't think it was in your mind, they were probably bad. Eggs can carry some nasty stuff, but don't be afraid to feed them lol! And make sure it's boiled for 30 mins. Your plan and extended plan doesn't sound excessive. Just curious, what is boomers pellet intake percentage on a given day?

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
His daily diet is something like:

75% Veggie/Fruit Kabob and Chop Mix
15% Almonds/Pistachios/Sunflower Seeds
5% Zupreem Natural Pellets mixed with Nutriberries
3% White boiled rice
2% Occassional things like eggs, chicken, salmon, yogurt, cuttlebone, etc.

Because he hates pellets, I try to round up his diet with various supplements every once in a while:

-bee pollen
-multi-vitamin drops
-red palm oil
-cinnamon
-crushed red peppers
-calcium powder
-acv

I would love for him to eat more pellets (I am transitioning to Harrisson's by the end of the year). But on the other hand, I wonder if pellets are really all that great. He got great feedback from his last wellness exam, his plumage is healthy, he is energetic, etc. so I thought I'd keep doing what I'm doing.

But with this close call, I'm beginning to rethink everything. Him getting sick all of a sudden like that kind of shook my confidence as a parrot keeper. Honestly, I can't help but feel defeated. If he was as healthy as I thought, he should have been able to fight it. I mean, I see birds in pet stores in such deplorable conditions, and they seem fine. And here's me, going over-board and being over-protective about everything (my friends at work call Boomer, Bubble Bird), and disaster striked. I thought I did everything I could to safeguard his well-being but he still got very sick, and very quick. Sorry for the rant :/

Last edited:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
BB, no need to feel defeated. U saw i and immediately got everything taken care of and kept it under control. You really should step away from your computer right now, go to the mirror and say "Great job" to the guy in the mirror. U r a devoted and great parront ! These things happen and will happen... Regardless of all best efforts.
K

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Actually his diet list looks pretty good. I was just wondering why you were supplementing and I see now its because he doesn't like pellets. And I really don't think that has anything to do with his recent illness, just my own curiosity. I've never thought smaller birds should get too many pellets, and though I do see their value for supplementing a varied diet, they still are a processed food. You're doing a good job with him. He got sick, it happens to the best if them. You reacted immediately, he bounced back immediately. He's a strong bird. Now go soothe your aching checkbook and relax:)

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
BB, no need to feel defeated. U saw i and immediately got everything taken care of and kept it under control. You really should step away from your computer right now, go to the mirror and say "Great job" to the guy in the mirror. U r a devoted and great parront ! These things happen and will happen... Regardless of all best efforts.
K

The above is QFT ;)

You are a great parront. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
So glad he's on the mend! If it wasn't for you noticing his change in behaviour/condition and taking him to the vet straight away the news might now be so good! You did an awesome job! Sometimes these things just happen! :)

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
I wanted to update this thread with answers to the questions I had for the vet. This is all pertaining to his bacterial infection. He was kind enough to answer all of them, so I hope it helps someone else ion the future.

Q: Was it crop infection that caused Boomer to vomit?
A: Possibly. Vet did not do a culture test at the time so it is hard to say what kind of bacteria it was.

Q: Could he have gotten the bacteria from when I was sick with the cold and cough? Even without contact with saliva?
A: Bacterial transfer happens with any contact with bodily fluids (saliva, mucus, tears, etc). Avoid bodily fluid contact. Viral infection is airborn.

Q: Could he have gotten the bacteria from eating bad or undercooked egg?
A: Absolutely. It can cause bacterial infection and ause him to vomit 1 to 2 days after ingestion.

Q: Could he have gotten bacteria from licking the yucky corner of the shower door?
A: Yes. It only takes a small amount of bacteria for a bird to get incredibly sick, because of how small they are. A lick from a questionable source is enough to cause sickness.

Q: Is it safe for him to shred cotton shirts a lot?
A: Cotton shirts are safe to shred. Even if fibers are ingested, they are so small as to be pooped out of their system. Avoid other heavier or synthetic materials. It is highly rare for crop impaction to happen from chewing cloths. If you suspect impaction, feel for hard lumps at the crop, watch for decreased appetite.

Q: Is it safe and beneficial to give the following supplements: bee pollen, red palm oil, spirulina powder, vitamin drops, calcium powder, probiotic powder?
A: All safe and beneficial in moderation. Pet birds are most deficient in Vitamin A, from his experience. Any supplement high in Vitamin A (like the red palm oil) is great.

Q: How else do I improve his immune system?
A: The supplements mentioned above are a great start. Fresh fruits and vegetables are very good as well. He made no comment on Harrison's pellets when I mentioned introducing. I think he just forgot to react and did not have a negative opinion if it.

Q: Opinion on sunlight and vitamin D3 deficiency in indoor birds?
A: His answer was surprising to me. He said most indoor conures he has seen through out the years are not vitamin D3 deficient! How does one know if a conure is vitamin D3 deficient anyway. He said D3 from vitamin supplements are usually enough to cover the needs of birds. He said having a bird by the window, getting ambient light does NOT give vitamin D3 benefit. It has to be sunlight unfiltered by a glass window. Screen is okay. I did not question him on this, but I still think sunlight can't hurt and is very good for our conures. It does make me feel a lot better on days where I know Boomer is not getting any direct sunlight.

Q: If Boomer was to vomit again and the vet is closed, is it a good idea to have Baytril in the refrigeration at all times?
A: Yes. Baytril covers most of the bacterial infection that affects birds. Just do not overdose and check for expiration date (he said usually 3 months but I found an online source where the expiration is 1.5 years).

Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future. Boomer is acting fine, not appearing sick. He did loose all his tail feathers at the vet out of what I think was panic. But hope everything goes well from here on out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts