Need advise

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Ok so I have my new Sennie. She is 3.5 months old and has been with us 3 days now. Today I thought that she was a lil sleepy, so I began wondering if she is getting enough. Here is my situation. I live in an RV. Her cage is in our living room. My husband is also in my living room watching tv or listening to music until late. Sometimes I wake up and he fell asleep with it on. How do I know if this is a bother to her? Am I being silly, or should I purchase a smaller cage and place it in our bedroom? What about snoring? I don't want a stressed out bird. And I am stressing trying to figure out what to do. My husband says I am being silly, i am babying her, and she needs to learn our routine, what do you all think?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Ok so I have my new Sennie. She is 3.5 months old and has been with us 3 days now. Today I thought that she was a lil sleepy, so I began wondering if she is getting enough. Here is my situation. I live in an RV. Her cage is in our living room. My husband is also in my living room watching tv or listening to music until late. Sometimes I wake up and he fell asleep with it on. How do I know if this is a bother to her? Am I being silly, or should I purchase a smaller cage and place it in our bedroom? What about snoring? I don't want a stressed out bird. And I am stressing trying to figure out what to do. My husband says I am being silly, i am babying her, and she needs to learn our routine, what do you all think?

I think both of you have merit to your thoughts. Your bird needs a good solid chunk of sleep undisturbed. So without tv, music, radio, no light etc. and you should really be aiming for 10-12 hours minimum.

Merlin (my senegal) doesn't often get that. He gets more like 8-9 and has dedicated nap times during the day. He'll be cranky if he doesn't get enough sleep and so more prone to biting.

Having a small cage in the bedroom would be okay. But if you're living room is going to be unoccupied overnight after you've done watching tv (for 10 hours, etc) then I think you would be fine leaving your girl in there - away from snoring ;)

The occasional night of bad sleep wont harm your fid, she'll just be cranky during the day. Just try not to make the 'falling asleep in front of the tv till 3am' a regular thing and I'm sure she'll be fine as she is. :)

Has she had a health check? Being overly sleepy can be a sign of illness, but she should have a first health check anyway :)

and also, considering it is just day 3 of living with you, she may still be quite stressed from the transition and adjusting to her new routine.

OP
Wdlodge

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013

I think both of you have merit to your thoughts. Your bird needs a good solid chunk of sleep undisturbed. So without tv, music, radio, no light etc. and you should really be aiming for 10-12 hours minimum.

Merlin (my senegal) doesn't often get that. He gets more like 8-9 and has dedicated nap times during the day. He'll be cranky if he doesn't get enough sleep and so more prone to biting.

Having a small cage in the bedroom would be okay. But if you're living room is going to be unoccupied overnight after you've done watching tv (for 10 hours, etc) then I think you would be fine leaving your girl in there - away from snoring ;)

The occasional night of bad sleep wont harm your fid, she'll just be cranky during the day. Just try not to make the 'falling asleep in front of the tv till 3am' a regular thing and I'm sure she'll be fine as she is. :)

Has she had a health check? Being overly sleepy can be a sign of illness, but she should have a first health check anyway :)

and also, considering it is just day 3 of living with you, she may still be quite stressed from the transition and adjusting to her new routine.

She doesn't seem cranky at all, her eyes are bright, no signs of discharge from her nose, poop looks good and healthy, she is eating and drinking good. She plays with toys. She likes to sit at the tippy tippy top of her cage thqt opens up at the top and wag her tail. :09:

We haven't done the health check, but that's next.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
WD, my birds slept through The Civil War & The North & The South last summer when I did a re-watch of all the chapters, without a problem.....but I did go out & get me a good set of headphones & a headphone extension cord.....might be worth thinking about for hubby's enjoyment & flock restfulness.....I decided to get the headphones because around midnight-1am I'd start getting complaints from the flock.....you can get a decent set that is not heavy to wear & even has volume control on the headset cable, for around $40 & another $10 for the headphone extension...or...check the net for bargains......

Most Reactions

Latest posts