Quaker vs amazon vs IRN

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Does anyone have experience with which of these is louder?
I have read up and looking for honest opinions.
I know all birds are different but I'm trying to establish all day loud vs chatty with less screaming as far as upsetting neighbours

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Another thought is which requires more one on one . I work from home but do work

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Does anyone have experience with which of these is louder?
I have read up and looking for honest opinions.
I know all birds are different but I'm trying to establish all day loud vs chatty with less screaming as far as upsetting neighbours
All of these birds are potentially very loyd. Do you live in a single family house or an apartment/condo? If you live in an apartment/condo you need to think about your particular neighbors' unique sensitivities just as much as how loud the bird will be and when. For example, if your neighbors are hard of hearing (many elderly are) a "noisy" bird may not bother them, but if your neighbor has a baby that needs to take daytime naps a mid-day screech session may be completely unacceptable. Same thing if your neighbor works nights and sleeps until noon.
All of these birds are a many years long commitment. Even if your current neighbors wouldn't be bothered by your birds' noise, unless you live in a single family home, or plan to soon, your future neighbors may prove to be a huge problem.

Rescues are full of birds that apartment dwellers had to give up or risk eviction. Please err on the side of caution when considering getting another bird.

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
All of these birds are potentially very loyd. Do you live in a single family house or an apartment/condo? If you live in an apartment/condo you need to think about your particular neighbors' unique sensitivities just as much as how loud the bird will be and when. For example, if your neighbors are hard of hearing (many elderly are) a "noisy" bird may not bother them, but if your neighbor has a baby that needs to take daytime naps a mid-day screech session may be completely unacceptable. Same thing if your neighbor works nights and sleeps until noon.
All of these birds are a many years long commitment. Even if your current neighbors wouldn't be bothered by your birds' noise, unless you live in a single family home, or plan to soon, your future neighbors may prove to be a huge problem.

Rescues are full of birds that apartment dwellers had to give up or risk eviction. Please err on the side of caution when considering getting another bird.
We live in a house but neighbours are quite close. Ruled out amazon at this stage.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't have Quakers (illegal in my state) or IRN But I got lot's of experience with Amazons.

My opinion is Amazons are louder.
Not all Amazon parrots are screamers, some can be quiet but you can't expect that.

My YNA is the quietest Amazon I have had but if all his humans leave the room he will work up to a loud screaming tantrum.

The thing is there is loud, LOUD, and shrill .
Because of the frequency or pitch of the parrot in question can make a big difference just haw far the noise can carry and the annoyance factor.

If you want an example of Amazon loud check out the video I just posted here https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bingo-goes-bonkers.100081/

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We live in a house but neighbours are quite close. Ruled out amazon at this stage.
Thats great-living in a house gives you so many more options. It's very wise to be still considering whether your close neighbors will be affected.
Also consider which room your bird will be spending most of his time in. You wouldn't want your bird screaming at sunrise in a room with an open window directly facing your neighbor's bedroom only 50 feet away!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
For me, who has had a quaker and an amazon, I would choose Amazon as the quieter bird. Quakers are les volume. maybe, but are shrill and can do that shrill stuff all day long, thank you very much. Where as my Amazon is louder but at certain times of the day, and is easily distracted from a screaming jag. Face it. all parrots have the potential to be loud screaming messes, if not socialized well and given many opportunities for interaction and play.

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Thats great-living in a house gives you so many more options. It's very wise to be still considering whether your close neighbors will be affected.
Also consider which room your bird will be spending most of his time in. You wouldn't want your bird screaming at sunrise in a room with an open window directly facing your neighbor's bedroom only 50 feet away!
I have been considering this for 3 months lol . I'm a responsible adult with children put of home so don't make decisions lightly. I'm asking more about specific breeds as I have had and bred other species

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I have an orange wing Amazon, have lived with a yellow nape and have had the pleasure of hanging out with a Quaker who likes to throw tantrums, haha.

The Yellow Nape was much louder than the Quaker I know, but she would only kick up a fuss if someone left the room (or when she was alone). She definitely hollered her way through some zoom meetings though. My orange wing is quiet 80% of the time. He will sometimes bark or whistle and shout if he wants my attention or he’s agitated (or if I leave the room in the evenings, when he knows it’s his time with me!), and if I’m on the phone or in a video call he sometimes will also start shouting. I had to do a critique with a professional art director with him sitting behind my head on my computer chair eating a walnut, because he just HAD to be part of the conversation and that was the only way to get him to quiet up enough that I could do the meeting!

The Quaker has a very shrill call, and I find generally the little parrots tend to chat or call more often than the big guys (with some exceptions). I’ve not met an adult IRN who screams yet, but I’ve listened to recordings of them and determined pretty quick that it was too high and strong a pitch for me - YMMV.

All that being said, parrots are individuals. There are quiet quakers/amazons/IRN and louder ones. I’d listen to their contact calls and ask yourself if that sound drives you nuts. Crank it up loud on your phone and then sit it where you’d like their cage or play stand to be and then move around the house.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have been considering this for 3 months lol . I'm a responsible adult with children put of home so don't make decisions lightly. I'm asking more about specific breeds as I have had and bred other species
I wish there were more responsible adults that don't make decisions lightly. You sound like a great neighbor.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I have no experience with IRNs, but I've lived in an apartment with both an Amazon and a Quaker. In a total of nearly 20 years in the apartment, there has never been a complaint about either parrot. There used to be a DYHA living in my building and he was so loud that someone living a few blocks away complained to the manager of the apartment complex about him. In my experience, both Amazons and Quakers can be persistently noisy, but Amazons are louder.

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
I have no experience with IRNs, but I've lived in an apartment with both an Amazon and a Quaker. In a total of nearly 20 years in the apartment, there has never been a complaint about either parrot. There used to be a DYHA living in my building and he was so loud that someone living a few blocks away complained to the manager of the apartment complex about him. In my experience, both Amazons and Quakers can be persistently noisy, but Amazons are louder.
Very helpful. Louder on occasion I think is better than noisey

Most Reactions