Need help boarding cockatiels in Stamford ct

Idmmk46

Apr 10, 2020
My single elderly sister who lives in an independent living senior residence near Stamford, Ct has just been admitted to the hospital and has tested positive for Covid 19. She has two older cockatilles that I would like to get boarded for her while she is in the hospital. I also need someone who is willing to go into her apartment and place the birds in the necessary travel cage to first bring them to a pet veterinary hospital in Norwalk Ct to be tested first. The residence will provide the necessary protective gloves and mask at their front desk. They tell me that they need to have the birds out of her apartment in the next two days. Any help would be much appreciated . Because if the Corona virus does not kill her, the loss of her two birds that she has had and loved for many years would. Thanks - mike killeen April 10, 2020

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
If I'm reading this correctly, you are not so much asking for help Boarding them, as to get them to where they already Can be Boarded. Is that right? You need help fetching and transporting them?

I am too far away to be tempted to take this risk. But, just checking for clarity.

Also, wondering What Happens If the birds are Not "out of her apartment in the next two days?" Is the facility somehow threatening harm to the birds? IF that's the case, perhaps the local SPCA could help? Or, I wonder if there is any Bird Rescue nearby that might be willing to assist?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear this, prayers
I hope someone near can help.
This is a good group of people

RedLoredAmazonLover

Apr 4, 2020
My single elderly sister who lives in an independent living senior residence near Stamford, Ct has just been admitted to the hospital and has tested positive for Covid 19. She has two older cockatilles that I would like to get boarded for her while she is in the hospital. I also need someone who is willing to go into her apartment and place the birds in the necessary travel cage to first bring them to a pet veterinary hospital in Norwalk Ct to be tested first. The residence will provide the necessary protective gloves and mask at their front desk. They tell me that they need to have the birds out of her apartment in the next two days. Any help would be much appreciated . Because if the Corona virus does not kill her, the loss of her two birds that she has had and loved for many years would. Thanks - mike killeen April 10, 2020

May I ask where you are located that you’re not able to help your sister? I am 4-5 hours away otherwise I would keep her birds at my house! Or I can meet you or someone else half way and keep the birds at my place temporarily until your sister recovers! I wouldn’t mind driving except I am on-call this weekend for work so I cannot drive 5 hours there and 5 hours back. Lemme know what I can do to help!

ayang775

Apr 10, 2020
Parrots
1 Cockatiel
I might be able to help! I live in middletown and I am 45 minutes away. I have one cockatiel of my own and I'm in my 20s so less susceptible to Covid 19. The only thing is I don't know of any places in CT that are currently boarding.
Let me know how I can help!

OP
I

Idmmk46

Apr 10, 2020
I need both services. Boarding and transport . My best guess on boarding would be one month. As I am guessing If my sister survives the Covid 19 it will only be after some time in a nursing home. Impossible to get info from the hospital on a weekend, due to reduced staff. My wife and I are both elderly and I am not willing to go into my sister’s apartment and expose myself and subsequently my wife to the Covid 19 at our age. I am hoping to find someone younger who we are willing to pay to do both. We live in Stamford. The birds were last given water and food by a friend of my sister on Friday who is now under a 14 day self quarantine, because he entered her apartment then before we knew she had tested positive. We have contacted the Wilton Vet Group and the birds must be transported to them , which we have not been able to arrange. I will call a Bedford, NY Vet group tomorrow when they open. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
OP
I

Idmmk46

Apr 10, 2020
My major concern is how long the birds can survive in an empty apartment in their cage without fresh food and water. I believe the last time this was done was early Friday morning. So the food and water in their cage is all they have access to. We have also contacted the health dept and they can not do anything. I believe the Director of the senior residencence comment that we had two days to get the birds out, was based on her opinion, how long the birds could live without fresh food and water. I will contact her again today when she gets to work ( off on the weekend) to see if she can get a staff person to look into the apartment and see if they are still alive. And we also contact the Bedford Vet group if they are.

A recommendation to all bird lovers , in case you might some day be in this situation ( hopefully not), make arrangements for the continuing care of your bird(s) before Covid 19 puts you in the hospital. Thanks everyone for your concerns. There are a lot if good people on this site.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I'm in CT but also a "senior" :rolleyes: I got my tiel from Parrots&Company in Stamford. Not sure if they board. Wish I could help!

Jim

OP
I

Idmmk46

Apr 10, 2020
Parrots and Company is where we boarded them last year. They currently will not board. Follow up on my comment on having a plan for taking care of your birds in case god forbid , you get Covid 19 and have to go the hospital and can’t take care of them. My sister had a plan. But did not have a backup plan. Parrots and Co was where she boarded them last year, but no backup to them, now that they refuse to board this year. The person who was feeding her birds in her absence is now on a 14 day “ voluntary” quarantine ordered by the Director of the senior residence where both he and my sister lived, and where he also volunteered at the front desk. With the Covid 19 striking elderly persons at a higher rate than younger people , do not rely on a person from your senior residence , or assisted living or nursing home , etc. to do it. Many of them are on lockdown . Get someone outside the facility. Thanks all

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My major concern is how long the birds can survive in an empty apartment in their cage without fresh food and water. I believe the last time this was done was early Friday morning. So the food and water in their cage is all they have access to. We have also contacted the health dept and they can not do anything. I believe the Director of the senior residencence comment that we had two days to get the birds out, was based on her opinion, how long the birds could live without fresh food and water. I will contact her again today when she gets to work ( off on the weekend) to see if she can get a staff person to look into the apartment and see if they are still alive. And we also contact the Bedford Vet group if they are.

A recommendation to all bird lovers , in case you might some day be in this situation ( hopefully not), make arrangements for the continuing care of your bird(s) before Covid 19 puts you in the hospital. Thanks everyone for your concerns. There are a lot if good people on this site.

I might be able to help! I live in middletown and I am 45 minutes away. I have one cockatiel of my own and I'm in my 20s so less susceptible to Covid 19. The only thing is I don't know of any places in CT that are currently boarding.
Let me know how I can help!

South Wilton Veterinary Group in Wilton, CT, boards birds. They are very close to Norwalk and Stamford. Please call in advance first.

Hello IDMMK, I see the replies from ayang775 to possibly assist and from RedLored mentioning a place that boards. It has been several days so, are the birds still in need of help? (hopefully?)

If so, you might not have enough posts yet to send a PM but you can request a moderator to assist you to communicate with ayang775.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I turned 64 in early March,then a week later spent 4 days in I.C.U. due to pneumonia/flu couldn't breathe..all the symptoms of the virus but tested negative. Lucky for me my brother was able to care for Amy and BB.

Jim

OP
I

Idmmk46

Apr 10, 2020
Monday morning we were able to make an agreement with the Super of the residence to go into my sister’s apartment and check if her birds were still alive . To our surprise they were, and he gave them fresh food and water and we will continue to pay him to do so. He explained that before the EMS transported my sister to the hospital on Friday morning , one of the EMS workers gave the birds fresh food and water before he or she left. We are going to try to find the name of that EMS worker, in order that we can properly thank him or her. I believe that act of kindness saved the lives of my sister’s birds. From what I have read they can only live 48 hours without fresh food or water. They made it through 72 hours. Obviously they are tough old birds. Thanks everyone.

ayang775

Apr 10, 2020
Parrots
1 Cockatiel
Hi
Sorry I've been slacking on checking this post for replies. I'm not sure if this is allowed but please contact me by email or phone.
I can be more easily reached there, if you still need help.

I am willing to pick up and board your birds in my home. Being young and in good health I'm not as at risk. I've been recently doing volunteer work in Stamford CT so I've actually been driving there a lot.

Please let me know how I can help.
I will be volunteering tomorrow in Stamford until noon.

EDIT: Anyone wishing to assist this member please PM a Moderator and we will put you in touch, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi
Sorry I've been slacking on checking this post for replies. I'm not sure if this is allowed but my email is ********* and my phone number is
I can be more easily reached there, if you still need help.

I am willing to pick up and board your birds in my home. Being young and in good health I'm not as at risk. I've been recently doing volunteer work in Stamford CT so I've actually been driving there a lot.

Please let me know how I can help.
I will be volunteering tomorrow in Stamford until noon.
I forwarded this to Idmmk46 in a private message since your personal info will be quickly deleted! The two of you can work through a Moderator (purple people (eater)) for messaging if needed.

Most Reactions