Need help introducing a new amazon into the house...Drama!

ArizonaParrots

Nov 7, 2011
Arizona
Parrots
Cockatiel, Blue Crowned Conure, Brown throated Conure, Green Cheek Conure, White Capped Pionus, Military Macaw, DYH Amazon, Blue Fronted Amazon
Hi! I'm new here and need some help. I recently adopted a Blue Fronted Amazon (Mila) from a woman who was being evicted from her home and could no longer keep her 6 year old BFA. I have a 25 year old Double Yellow Head female (Rudy) that I have had for 18 years.

Mila has gone through the quarantine period and this was the first weekend where she was in "general population" with the other birds. She could care less about my macaw, but she flies right AT my DYH amazon, which starts all kinds of drama! Mila was free flighted at her previous home, so she is a really good flier. This doesn't work at my house (safety, etc), so I had to clip her. I'm not sure if she **LOVES** Rudy or wants to rip her to shreds. Mila just goes into amazon overload when she first comes out of her cage! She will try to fly (even while clipped) onto Rudy's tree or anywhere in Rudy's vicinity to get near Rudy and I have to immediately separate the two of them in fear of one of them getting hurt. Their cages are in the same room only a few feet away in hopes that they will get used to each other. I think that Mila just doesn't have any "manners" being with other birds and gets WAY too excited when she sees Rudy.

Any suggestions on how to introduce them more smoothly? I'm afraid every day now when I let them out and constantly carry a towel with me at all times in case I have to break up a fight. Rudy is SUCH a sweet girl and I don't want her to get hurt. Mila seems to calm down after a few minutes, and I think she just doesn't know how to control those raging amazon hormones :)

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Try to place them in separate cages and place them near. That way they can get used in a safe way

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yeah ,That's not good sign, if you read it like she wants to attack. Very common hen amazon trait. I know i'll make some people mad with that but older hens often act like that. And once they decide (which only takes a few seconds) that they don't like some other zon then it usually won't change. They may tolerate each other at times but you'd better keep a sharp eye on them.Just my 2 cents worth. For what it's worth, i've a room full of mostly hen zons, and most are clipped for the very reason you clipped yours.The ones that can share are fine but the ones that can't can be slick and often plot out their attacks (we have watch out zons that let us know when someone is where they shouldn't be).She maybe fine around other birds but don't trust her around other zons that she doesn't like.Of course all this is a very natural instinct for your bird , i won't get into all the why's but rarely will it change,don't trust her to behave.

Last edited:

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
. . . (we have watch out zons that let us know when someone is where they shouldn't be) . . .

Our lookout (I refer to him as the tattletale bird) is the zon - He always tells me when the Grey has taken flight, or if the Pionus (who flies quite a bit) has flown some place other than where he normally goes. I just listen to PaulE to know what's happening when I'm not watching.

(One of the reasons PaulE was available was because his prior owner thought her BF hen didn't like him. When we first saw him, PaulE & the BF were sharing a perch & I didn't see any "hate", although I did think the hen was clearly in charge).

Most Reactions