Need help looking into what bird to get next. 😃

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
So, to start off I’ve owned birds before and I currently have a Quaker. My last bird was a Congo African Grey who unfortunately I lost to fatty liver disease four years after rescuing him. He had eaten seeds and been neglected the first 17 years of his life. I fixed him all up and we were best buds, but that’s a story for a different time.

Money is not a concern for me as far as price for the bird and all supplies go because I’m looking at this in about a year or so. I’m down for basically any size parrot. I’m thinking either a large macaw blue and gold or green wing. Or an African Grey again. I would like input especially on macaws because it’s very hard to choose what species. I generally would like a bird who will be ok with the whole family (I know Greys aren’t really like that but that’s ok I miss mine) I just don’t want them to want to bite someone just because they aren’t me.

I know basically with any bird they will likely bite you at some point for some reason or another lol. It suuuuucks. I remember towards the end my Grey bit me a three times (on separate occasions) but yaaa that sucked pretty good. One of them I heard my skin snap like a natural casing hot dog. Ouch! Lol so I look forward to hearing from you guys and if you have any questions for me just ask.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I’m sorry to hear about your CAG.

If friendliness towards others is paramount you might consider a male eclectus. When properly raised they generally are amenable to handling by most people. Each is an individual of course. My boy for some unknown reason is a racist and will not be handled by black folks, flying away from the few that have tried to hold him.

Macaws can also get to the point of being held by multiple people as adults but it’s not innate to them like it is with ekkies.

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
Aww lol ya I’ve thought of them too and I prefer the male over the female. I kind of definitely forgot about eclectus lol. I would consider them as well. Still I have a while and I want lots of opinions lol. How bad is you baby’s bite? How old is he? Did you get him as a baby and so on lol

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
Also what do people think of hawk heads?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Parker is 8 years old. He bites like any parrot, equally as strong as any. I adopted him from a family who had 5 kids, and a possibility of moving.

He's a stereotypical ekkie: independent, often preferring to be a daydreaming perch potato to actual toy play. Find the right food and he will learn a trick in no time flat. He’s very easy going.

Primary challenge with him (and really most ekkies) is hormones. Unlike most other birds who experience hormones seasonally, once a year in the spring, ekkies can breed year round. The result is they have a series of major and minor hormonal bouts hat can last anywhere from a few days to a month.

I don’t own hawkheads so can’t comment on them. But the one word for me that comes to mind is unpredictable. We have a regular poster here who owns a hawk head. Hopefully he’ll see your post and respond with his experiences.

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
I’ve heard that about hawk heads too and good to know that Ekkies can breed all year round. Overall all I’m looking for something that will be relatively mentally stable with proper care and upbringing. I know birds can be really fussy but kind of like how some birds are known for being neurotic (like Greys lol) I kind of want a chill bean lol i know that’s a tall order and a lot of it is the work put into them but ya. So when your baby has hormones going on does he like to bite a lot or is he just like kinda moody and wants to chill on his own and is louder and stuff?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Ekkies are hardly neurotic. Male ekkies are totally the stoners of the parrot world.

That said they aren’t like macaws in that a mush macaw wants petting a for hours. Ekkies don’t often like to be petted, except a finger stroke of the wing. I understand greys can be the same way. Ekkies wanna sits with you on your shoulder, get beak kisses. The whole eight yards. But the head pettings are a yard too far.

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
That’s still cool I like a chill bird. My CAG only liked to be pet on his head. He would just chill with me most of the time and share out of my water cup or juice lll. He liked to see what I was eating and share if it was ok for him to eat. He didn’t like to play on a fancy gym so he just chilled on a classic T perch and watch tv lol. I miss him. I do like a cuddly bird too though but I hate when they get over stimulated lol. Just something to learn about each individual. I love goffins too my grandma had one who was awesome and looooved me lol. She was a silly bird. I’m kind of tempted to get a godson maybe. I think I want a macaw because I’ve always wanted one and I want to get one before I’m too old and it outlives me. So hard to choooooose lol.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I would like to wrap this back-down to a few basics regarding Parrots and the process that you are trying to load upon others!

There are hundreds of possible Parrots, which is more likely limited by where you live than the numbers. With the vast majority and resulting from their nature, any one species can fit your home or not!

Asking for others to suggest, which is best for you is a questionable way of bring another Parrot into your home! Like any of us would have any idea of the complexities of your home!

All of the Parrots that you have, so far named, are long lived and each requires a Life Long Commitment. That commitment is yours and your families need to make.

The where to start is the Rescue /rehomer near you! A Place that you should take you family and provide many hours per week helping and learning. During this process, one of those Parrots that work their way though may just 'Choose Your Family!'

Humans are so lost in their 'wants' that they fail to understand: It is not what you want, which assures the best possible fit! In this case, its whether a Parrot Want's You!

Enjoy this very different way of looking at this process!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
My Head Head is in her mid to late 20's and I am at least the third owner. The last owner had her for almost 10 years and personal issues caused her to give her up. She (he) can go through hormonal bouts any time during the year with the most instinctual of them being in the late winter. Improper loving by the human can cause her to to get hormonal any time but we quickly learned about that and refrain from those activities which can bring that on.

Unpredictable? I don't think so. My bird will always warn you, she has never tried to bite without first raising her crest and huffing. I have no concerns about her being on my shoulder or kissing her beak. She's iffy when it comes to scratching her head but again if she's not in the mood you'll clearly get a huff or two which announces her annoyance. The only time that her behavior changes rapidly is when she's horny, but again, you'll know that well before any bite.

We've had her for 2 years and in that time she has learned not to bite too hard. Even in her wildest moment her bite does not damage me. More worrisome and painful are the pinches she might accidentally give when chewing on my shirt.

Hawk Heads are known for their sharp, long beak and it can do most damage if it pierces the skin. At my visit to the vet in November we had him take the point off her beak, now she never hurts from unintentional pinches.....wish I had done that 2 years ago.

Nike is a mouthy bird, she uses her beak all the time when moving around. Initially we mistook that for a prelude to a bite but not so, it's like her prehensile tail and quite harmless.

Everything I've ever read on them states that they make great, loving companions and I would have to agree, we love her and she is a part of the family. She lives with 3 cats and a dog and she has no fear of them....luckily our pets have grown up since babies in a diverse household, the cats are all inside cats so no strong hunter instincts with the exception of mice. The cats especially stay away from the bird and often scatter if she's flying around.

One thing I have read is that hawk heads are territorial with other birds, and as a matter of fact the way they wild catch them is to introduce another species of bird into their territory and than catch the Hawk Heads as they come to drive that bird out.

I would absolutely recommend a Hawk Head parrot as a companion and I often wonder how much different Nike would have been if I had her from a baby.

Lastly, they are absolutely beautiful birds.

Edit: Size wise she is about 13" from head to tip of tail and her tail is about 6" long. She weighs 200g which makes her a little small for the species.

Here's some pics...I never miss an opportunity to show her off.

Nike1-30-17b-January%2030,%202017-1.jpg

Nike1-30-17-January%2030,%202017-1.jpg

nike7-19-16.jpg

DSC_5043.JPG

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for more pics, Bill! I cannot get over the beauty of Nike. Almost a different bird depending on pose and display!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Male ekkies are totally the stoners of the parrot world.

Never thought of that, but you are spot on! Uninformed folks call ekkies dumb or non-responsive. Nope, it is just their nature and style.

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
I would like to wrap this back-down to a few basics regarding Parrots and the process that you are trying to load upon others!

There are hundreds of possible Parrots, which is more likely limited by where you live than the numbers. With the vast majority and resulting from their nature, any one species can fit your home or not!

Asking for others to suggest, which is best for you is a questionable way of bring another Parrot into your home! Like any of us would have any idea of the complexities of your home!

All of the Parrots that you have, so far named, are long lived and each requires a Life Long Commitment. That commitment is yours and your families need to make.

The where to start is the Rescue /rehomer near you! A Place that you should take you family and provide many hours per week helping and learning. During this process, one of those Parrots that work their way though may just 'Choose Your Family!'

Humans are so lost in their 'wants' that they fail to understand: It is not what you want, which assures the best possible fit! In this case, its whether a Parrot Want's You!

Enjoy this very different way of looking at this process!

Im just looking for general insight on what people have experienced with their birds. I understand was having a bird as a companion means. I know there are many, many species available and I don’t expect anyone to know the ins and outs of my home.

That being said I just want to hear more about the general nature of some different types of parrots. That way I can choose the best option for my family. If someone on here told me to get an emu I wouldn’t just be like ya ok let me do that lol. I’d read into it. I do A LOT of research before I get anything even plants lol. I need to know what they need to do well and thrive.

I have very successfully rescued and rehabilitated a CAG when I was the same age as the bird. We were both 17. Due to the amount of research and effort I poured into that baby I helped him become a confident and happy bird.

Thank you though for your input and I know how you feel lol. You just want to make sure that I’m not just all woo let’s get a bird that lives for 70 plus years and have no plans for what to do with them when I die. I think you just may have misunderstood my intentions a bit.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Nike is gorgeous! What a magnificent parrot!

Voot..it sounds as if you are fairly open to letting the bird have its own personality, but what would be ideal? A family friendly bird? One that likes lots of head scratches and cuddles? One that talks? One that you can take places? One that is easy to feed (Ekkies for example need more fresh foods, fruits, and are susceptible to weird neurological problem if things like calcium levels are off)? How much room is there for a cage? House or apartment - noise levels can vary, with sun conures being some of the loudest birds...how much time will the bird spend alone during the day vs in the evening...

Once you have the general image of the “perfect” bird, you can make up a list of species who fit the general mold, though all are individuals. Then, what Sailboat suggests is good: find out what rescues are near you and go meet some parrots. Petfinder is a good source, and people sometimes legitimately rename birds through Craigslist but the latter is rife with stolen birds and scams. Vets offices often have lists of people with birds they want to rehoming. With patience you can find the right bird for you, one in need of a loving home, and be the answer to their prayers.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Voot, it's good that you will take your time to decide, with lots of research too. Me, I recommend the smaller Amazons, like Panamas, Orange wing or even a yellow shoulder amazon like my Salty. All of the smarts of the hot 3 'zons, less excitable, have talking ability almost as much or the same, mellower and smaller beaks. But 'Boats and others are right... if possible let the parrot pick you and the family, you'll be so far ahead in bonding and stuff. Goodluck.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I’m a CAG person and love their independence. Nigel is so much fun, he loves to chill with us, talk, and destroy his selected toys. I think I really got an exceptional grey as he, on occasion, will climb under my chin and ask for cuddles. He isn’t too needy but super smart as you know greys are. As time goes by he continues to surprise us with his intelligence and ability to process what’s going on at home.

If you have the luxury of a bird picking you, absolutely consider that.

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
Bill_e your bab is gorgeous and I appreciate your insight. ^^ she’s soooo pretty. My grandma’s Goffin was like that too with her hormones lol it was too easy to work around.

OP
Voot

Voot

Dec 23, 2017
Amazons are neat birds too. And I’m not opposed to adopting as I have with my poor old grey and my current Quaker. My Quaker was a mega territorial and biting jerk. He came to me with the word ow lol. Now he sings bird is the word knows a decent amount of other words and sounds and laughs in context lol. He now uses ow whenever he hears me cough or if I have a painful sneeze. It’s cute lol.

Generally I want a species that’s more likely to be accepting to the family and not want to bite or be scared just because they aren’t their preferred person. I like birds that like to be pet but it isn’t a necessity. I like to teach tricks too or listen to talking but again not a requirement. The biggest thing is just being able to be ok with the family. I am leaning more towards macaws but I don’t know how they are in a family environment generally. I know a goffin would be nice but I want to experience variety and seeing as most birds live a looong time I want to make sure that they will be able to be happy and I will too lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts