Need help please

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
Hello everyone

Im new to the forum and is in need of some help. Last yr my congo (coco) was injured (wing) She need 2 stitches and we did xrays (no broken bones) but the doc said she had swelling around the elbow area in the wing. FOr the 1st 2 month after her injury. Coco was perching and being her normal self. After that she is now scared to perch on me or anyone that she was handled by. Coco was in love with my friend next door and she wont perch to him. If by chance she did perch on someone, She let out a scream of terror. Her wing is not the same she cant open it or stretch it properly . She wont come out of her cage either.

She does let us feed her, Clear her cage , spray water her, She still give kisses and want her head rubbed. She is still talking up a storm and want attention when you walk away. I have spoke to my vet and he gave me a link for a rehab for parrots. A mom and dad in home run business.

My question is , Can Coco be rehabilitated ? and is there anything i can do , i try to handle her but im scared she already afraid and seems like the more i try to handle her the more she is scared :(

Deep

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
So sorry your bird had to have this injury. I would leave things in the hands of the rehab person for now and not try to push the bird to do something she fears. Greys are funny about things like this. She can turn around and blame the people she loves the most for her fears.

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
That was my fear :( that she is blaming us for the injury.

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
Things havent changed. Coco still does not step up to me and still scared. Does not matter what i do , try to give her treats , kisses she wont allow me t touch her nor will she step up to me. Everyone else she will grrrr

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
So sorry to read this !!! Is it a possibility that she has pain and for that reason she is ...scared ?

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
nope, no pain - she will hang on the side of the cage and flap her wings like crazy . plus she will perch on my mom ,and all my friends expect me :(

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Spiritbird is right. Greys have a very unique way of viewing the world and ealing with things. Among parrots it is my humble opinion that greys have the largest range of emotions. They have complex reactions to things, and it usually takes someone with years of experience to help you sort through "genuine" emotions and "after effect" emotions. I do a lot of rehab here, and greys are by far the toughest to work with. I would honestly find someone with a lot of rehab experience and have them help you. Because greys can be so different from one another, I can't even begin to advise you without meeting you both and seeing you together.... So be catious about what kind of online advice to try and employ at home. Greys "are not a one size fits all" kind of fix, and it can take months or even years to regain a greys trust (sometimes never :(. ) I would start with perch training.... as a blind guess. Whatever her favorite perch in the cage is, get on similar to it and hold it in your hand and start working on getting her to step up to that first.

It is my expereince that if a bird has been dropped in the past that it can take a long time for them to be comfortable standing on an arm. (Of course that was a macaw and not a grey

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
Spiritbird is right. Greys have a very unique way of viewing the world and ealing with things. Among parrots it is my humble opinion that greys have the largest range of emotions. They have complex reactions to things, and it usually takes someone with years of experience to help you sort through "genuine" emotions and "after effect" emotions. I do a lot of rehab here, and greys are by far the toughest to work with. I would honestly find someone with a lot of rehab experience and have them help you. Because greys can be so different from one another, I can't even begin to advise you without meeting you both and seeing you together.... So be catious about what kind of online advice to try and employ at home. Greys "are not a one size fits all" kind of fix, and it can take months or even years to regain a greys trust (sometimes never :(. ) I would start with perch training.... as a blind guess. Whatever her favorite perch in the cage is, get on similar to it and hold it in your hand and start working on getting her to step up to that first.

It is my expereince that if a bird has been dropped in the past that it can take a long time for them to be comfortable standing on an arm. (Of course that was a macaw and not a grey
Ty very much for this input. I havent been on the site for a while i will try some of your suggestion. Coco my grey will perch on everyone except me. I will keep trying my best to regain her trust but so far over a year and nada, wont perch to me even though she does give me kisses , i sing to her , feed her clean her cages she allows all this just not perching :grey:

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
My last resort would be to give her to someone that will give her a good home. I just hate seeing her not come out of her cage all day and the door is open. she use to come every where in the apt with me and sonny my amazon.

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
Good morning to all

So a yr has gone by and i have not been able to break coco's fear. Till today she wont perch on me , She will just jump out of her cage. I have tried to give her treats , lure her to my hand with them and nada. She only allows me to feed her and give her kisses. i can not pet or get her to perch on me. Im very sad that she is staying in her cage and not coming out to join me and sonny my amazon as she did before she got hurt. is there anyone in the brooklyn ny area that can give me a hand with this , i am completely out of choices

OP
D

Deep

Mar 16, 2011
She is also an extremely picky eater. No matter what she doesnt like , no matter how hungry sheis , if she doesnt like it she will pick it up and fling it 8 ft from her cage grrrr out of all the parrot in the world i get a fussy one :/

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
That link doesn't work :)

Where are you located? That might help those interested

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Here is the link to the ad.
AFRICAN GREY FOR ADOPTION , REHOMING FEE

I am sorry you have to rehome Coco. I have three greys and I can tell you that they are very forgiving of me when I have to medicate, clip nails, towel them. At 10 yrs old Coco is at a hormonal stage. This could be the cause of her behavior. I also have a grey that cannot fly due to wing injuries. He does great though.
Your ad is very good but I think it will be difficult to meet all your requests. Many people have dogs and cats along with their parrots. I have 3 dogs that I supervise very carefully.
I also do foster care and rescue. I understand your need to do a home check, vet check and wanting to know how she is doing after being placed but after a few months it would be best to let her go. Some people may feel threatened by your ad due to this. JMHO dealing with the public and future owners. I hope she finds a great home!

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Good luck with finding a wonderful home for Coco. She is beautiful!!! I am sorry she has had this injury and is having trouble trusting again. If I lived closer I would love to try to help her out!!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I suggest you contact an avian behaviorist. The one that I know has a good rep. is Sally Blanchard. You can google her name and writings. They do phone consults and if not too far away will come to see the bird. thank you for your patience with her.

Sally Blanchard has worked with companion parrots and their behaviors for more than 30 years. She produces the “Companion Parrot Quarterly,” which features in-depth articles on avian behavior. She also owns and operates the “Laughing Parrot Gallery” in Loveland, Colorado. Contact Sally at [email protected].

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts