Need help with what, when, and how much to feed a new conure.

laurawaterman

Sep 29, 2014
Australia, QLD
Parrots
I'm getting a Sun Conure in a few months. It's only 2.5 weeks old at the moment and being hand raised.
I’m getting a Sun Conure in a few weeks (so excited!!) and I’m just trying to get ready. I want to know how much of what you guys feed your birds. Can you give me a breakdown of a typical day? What you feed them, when, and how much? I’ve got cats, but they’re easy, they just have unlimited dry food throughout the day, and wet food for dinner. Should my bird have unlimited pellets or something? I don’t want it to go hungry, but I don’t want to overfeed it and make it unhealthy!

Thanks for your help guys. This site is really awesome! You’re all so nice and very helpful. I’m so glad I found this site.

Jessie

Sep 21, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Nanday(Rio) Approx. born April/2013
I'm trying to change my new conure's diet to unlimited pellets during the day. Bird seed is gonna be the fatty food you wanna stay away from(I use them for treats and training). You should also incorporate veggies and fruit. More Veggies than fruit. My Rio's favorite is Strawberries and peppers(some examples). I'd say leave the pellets in all day but only leave the fruit and veggies in for a few hours cause they will start getting bad.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Currently my two conures get about 2 Tbsp of a cooked bean / veggie mix in the mornings. I give this to them in the mornings because they are hungriest in the mornings, and they don't like the part of their diet as much. The one I am currently using is the recipe from this thread.

In the afternoons they get chopped fresh vegetables and fruit. Usually stuff like kale, some cooked squash, peppers, cilantro and parsley, various herbs, and whatever fruits are in season and one sale.

Because they love, love, love their chopped fresh food, this is when I put in their pellets.

Before they go to bed, they get a small amount of seeds. 2 tsp? I don't measure it, so just guessing.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
When you finally bring your new feathered friend home, it is going to have a preference for whatever it is weaned to, but since they are usually open to new things at this stage, especially when they see their flock members (you) eating it, they can generally be swayed to your choice.....

Good luck.....

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
I am finding it really tough to get JellyBean to eat pellets; I have put them in with his bird bread - doesn't work - with his veggie chop - doesn't work... Very frustrating. Anyone any ideas?

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Have you tried moistening them with some fruit juice?

arvile.james

Oct 11, 2014
Those conour are very noisy so be prepared for the first week I have one and it don't shut up apart from bed time 6 o'clock until 5 in the morning no sound from him but they are very funny birds

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
When you get your bird it will be the perfect time to introduce all kinds of healthy vegetables, fruits, pellets, and SOME seed.
Larry (my conure) has access to pellets all day. He gets around 3 Tablespoons of a dried conure mix of fruits, veges, nuts and SOME seed. He also gets fresh veges and fruits off & on throughout the week, depending on what I have on hand ie: banana, apple, raisings, papaya, mango etc. spinach, romaine, mixed salad greens, carrots, peppers, sweet potato etc.
Occasionally I find that he is not consuming the pellets as much as I would like. I then reduce the amount of the other mix I give him and he eventually goes for the pellets again. (I combine 'Roudybush' maintenance pellets & 'Roudybush' California blend, which has some dried peppers in it)
Looking forward to pics of your new SUN :)

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Quick question myself, it's kind of relevant. Is orange juice ok for conures food? Like for moistening pellets or helping make new food more interesting? if not what kind of juices do you guys use?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Quick question myself, it's kind of relevant. Is orange juice ok for conures food? Like for moistening pellets or helping make new food more interesting? if not what kind of juices do you guys use?

My birds enjoy orange juice, apple juice and cranberry juice, along with both white & purple grape juices.....

OP
laurawaterman

laurawaterman

Sep 29, 2014
Australia, QLD
Parrots
I'm getting a Sun Conure in a few months. It's only 2.5 weeks old at the moment and being hand raised.
Thanks so much for your help guys!! I went to visit my beautiful sun on saturday, and took this picture. Can you believe its only 5.5 weeks old!! Amazing colour in it's wings! It's DNA has been sent off to the vet, and I should know the sex soon!!
New Image.jpg

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
How exciting! He or she is so cute and colorful :) your visit must have been so great.

Most Reactions

Latest posts