We are getting a new baby!!!! (I'm so scared)

cosmothebirb

Jul 3, 2023
Media
Parrots
green cheeked conure
It's been a while since I posted here. I want you guys to know that I'm doing much better. The pain has subsided and me and the fam just recently decided to get a new birb. We just fell in love with conures.
One thing that's still here is the fear and guilt. I keep thinking it was our fault that Cosmo left us, like we didn't air out the living room often enough, or we did something bad and he got sick because of our house or something, or like we didn't feed him the good type of pellets or food or smth idk. I know that that's bad thinking but I am feeling an insane amount of guilt whenever I think about it, just irrational guilt and fear. So now instead of being excited for the new friend, I just keep imagining the worst and feeling scared that I'm not gonna be able to do things right once again.

Just wanted to let you guys know. I will leave my profile name and picture as it is, and I will update you with the new arrival

P.S. I probably will not stop feeling scared until like a whole year passes but god damn that is so much time to be stressed. Idk. It is what it is and I probably have to relax :D
Talk to yous later
-I

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Relax. Think logically about what things might have happened, and don't do them again.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
It's been a while since I posted here. I want you guys to know that I'm doing much better. The pain has subsided and me and the fam just recently decided to get a new birb. We just fell in love with conures.
One thing that's still here is the fear and guilt. I keep thinking it was our fault that Cosmo left us, like we didn't air out the living room often enough, or we did something bad and he got sick because of our house or something, or like we didn't feed him the good type of pellets or food or smth idk. I know that that's bad thinking but I am feeling an insane amount of guilt whenever I think about it, just irrational guilt and fear. So now instead of being excited for the new friend, I just keep imagining the worst and feeling scared that I'm not gonna be able to do things right once again.

Just wanted to let you guys know. I will leave my profile name and picture as it is, and I will update you with the new arrival

P.S. I probably will not stop feeling scared until like a whole year passes but god damn that is so much time to be stressed. Idk. It is what it is and I probably have to relax :D
Talk to yous later
-I
Just try not to catastrophize (sp?) in your mind & take it one day at a time. A baby bird can be a stressful thing & they are fragile & have like no immune system built up. If you don't own any parrot care books, I'd invest in a couple just because you will learn from it, you'll have it for reference when you need it & it will make you feel more confident, because the more you learn the better! Being as informed as possible about parrot care & their needs to be healthy is important & will only make you a better parent! I would also get a good avian vet (if you don't have one already) & stay on top of vet checkups. You should always take a new bird to a vet for a full physical exam, fecal testing & blood panel to rule out any diseases or things like over growth of yeast & bacteria in it's system. Normally, new birds (esp. babies) are supposed to be quarantined in the home for 90 days for disease reasons. At the least, they should be quarantined until all the test results come back. It's important, as is hygiene-esp. if it's a baby. Keeping their cage & bowls as clean as possible is important & always washing your hands before & after handling & touching things in their cage. Germ transmission & human saliva is a no no. Refrain from kissing. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts